Y&R actress exits

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good point.  Nevertheless, they immediately wrote themselves into a corner with the Alzheimer's material.  Not only because it's depressing to watch a character deteriorate onscreen, but what reason would audiences have to keep tuning in, knowing how the story will end?

I mean, I would've supported reversing Dina's diagnosis, but I always knew that doing so would run the risk of looking hokey on-screen.

Alzheimer's just does not make for good soap opera.

Edited by Khan

• Members

With an Alzheimer’s story, it can’t really be about the character who’s suffering because that’s definitely a dead end. It has to be about how the other characters react, deal with conflicted feelings about their relationship to the afflicted, etc. It would be grim, but I think a really character-driven soap could pull it off (meaning, none of the current shows), and there were tiny glimpses of potential with Y&R. But they added all this stupidity about Dina’s affairs and these convoluted wild goose chases.

I just know how much conflict an Alzheimer’s diagnosis caused in my family: lots of drama over who controls the sufferer’s care, who’s not pulling their weight, reflecting on old resentments towards this person in their current state, etc. It could almost be like a custody-battle story that ripples out and drives other stories in a very soapy way. It doesn’t have to be a wallowing in the misery of the sufferer. But that means taking familial relationships seriously, which soaps no longer do.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Even for actors decades younger, today's soaps are a lot more machine and a lot less art. It's a lot of grind for little reward. Adding the risks of COVID-19 lowers the incentive that much more.

Still, the overall effect is that there no longer a place for all ages storytelling on these shows. 

• Members

I have to disagree. If done correctly, an Alzheimer's story could lead to years of powerful storytelling and acting. I can see such a storyline excelling in the hands of a talented writer like Agnes Nixon or Claire Labine, but not today's crop of writers. As Faulkner so beautifully pointed out, there is a lot of story potential there. No matter what, such a story is going to be difficult to watch because Alzheimer's is difficult to watch unfold. It's brutal. I know that personally because my dad, who died 2 years ago tomorrow, fought Alzheimer's for 10 years.