Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Days: October 2020 Discussion Thread


victoria foxton

Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

I haven't watched today. I don't even know if I have any comments on the week so far, LOL. I kinda watched most of them in a blur yesterday.

I thought the blackout storyline started off a little bumpy, but it seemed to find its footing this week. Can't really blame them though.

 

Today's episode was stronger. You could tell that the script for today wasn't rushed.

3 minutes ago, KMan101 said:

Right? Kristen had friends. Billie and Jennifer. Which Tomsell played on when Kristen returned. Jennifer has even been sympathetic about Kristen and what she's gone through recently. 

 

I swear sometimes the day to day writing is all over the place with things.

Lmao those scenes were probably written by the same script writer that had Sarah refer to Mickey as her stepfather

Edited by AbcNbc247
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

OK, some random thoughts on the week:

 

The blackout was kinda meh. I feel like crazy Rolf (and sexy Chad in a robe with his hairy chest sticking out for two weeks helps) and Jan/Belle were probably the highlights for me. Oh, I did love badass great-granny Kate shooting Clyde and enjoying the fact that she did it. THAT'S the Kate I want to see. Not that awkward flirting and sexing it up with Jake.

 

Rolf was crazy entertaining and I love Gwen.

 

Evan is still hot. I want more from Orpheus. He could be more than pop-ins. 

 

I absolutely love Nicole playing mom to  Allie. So refreshing and much needed for Nicole's character growth. This is how you grow a character. Not make her some weepy heroine victim.

21 hours ago, Antoyne said:

Kate was so bad ass. You do NOT mess with Kate’s family.

 

Yes she was! THIS is how I want my Kate Roberts. NOT as the town welcome wagon. 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:08 PM, Antoyne said:

Loved Lucas telling Kate today about Allie's rape and her instantly going into Grandma Bear Mode.

 

I will never get over Marlena talking about Christian being a murderer and trying to get Will, when she's the champion defender of the guy that actually murdered Will. It's one of the major writing flaws that will never not annoy me.

 

Thank you. SAME. It annoys the piss out of me. I HATE the Marlena and Ben relationship.

On 10/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, te. said:

I'm starting to watch these post-covid episodes and for the DAYS budget, I'm sort of impressed - I noticed that they're trying to play with shadows a lot more and camera angles and not pushing dolls on actors. It's sad that we have such a low standard but there it is.

 

Correction: I was initially impressed and then it just got lazy and weird. Oh WELL.

 

Yeah. It was good and then fell flat. LOL. 

 

I just don't think Albert Alarr is a strong enough producer. 

23 hours ago, carolineg said:

She must be really unhappy because this streak takes up half her hair.  Does she even have a story right now lol?

Rolf should be rested. Hes not viable without Stefano 

 

LOL guess it wasn't because she's unhappy. She really doesn't. I guess she's sexing up Jake. I'm sure Ron will probably drop a  "surprise Kate is involved in this ...'" 

 

Rolf is entertaining because he's nuts and the lines they give him make me laugh. William Utay is a treasure. But I agree, Rolf is played out. Ron does that though, he beats a villain to death by constantly having them pop in and out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 hours ago, KMan101 said:

OK, some random thoughts on the week:

 

The blackout was kinda meh. I feel like crazy Rolf (and sexy Chad in a robe with his hairy chest sticking out for two weeks helps) and Jan/Belle were probably the highlights for me. Oh, I did love badass great-granny Kate shooting Clyde and enjoying the fact that she did it. THAT'S the Kate I want to see. Not that awkward flirting and sexing it up with Jake.

 

Rolf was crazy entertaining and I love Gwen.

 

Evan is still hot. I want more from Orpheus. He could be more than pop-ins. 

 

I absolutely love Nicole playing mom to  Allie. So refreshing and much needed for Nicole's character growth. This is how you grow a character. Not make her some weepy heroine victim.

 

Yes she was! THIS is how I want my Kate Roberts. NOT as the town welcome wagon. 

 

Thank you. SAME. It annoys the piss out of me. I HATE the Marlena and Ben relationship.

 

Yeah. It was good and then fell flat. LOL. 

 

I just don't think Albert Alarr is a strong enough producer. 

 

LOL guess it wasn't because she's unhappy. She really doesn't. I guess she's sexing up Jake. I'm sure Ron will probably drop a  "surprise Kate is involved in this ...'" 

 

Rolf is entertaining because he's nuts and the lines they give him make me laugh. William Utay is a treasure. But I agree, Rolf is played out. Ron does that though, he beats a villain to death by constantly having them pop in and out.

 

I like Orpheus and Evan, but I feel like all Orpheus does is make silly plots to put John/Marlena in danger that never work and, let's be honest, they are all a little long in the tooth for the action/adventure stuff at this point.  I need Orpheus to think of better evil schemes than just kidnapping people and hoping it works this time.

 

Marlena and Ben do suck in principal, but sometimes I enjoy them together?  And I am not sure why because Marlena should not be falling all over him.

 

Like I said earlier, I think LK looks fantastic and I don't mind Kate, but I can't take a woman in her 60's with a giant blue streak seriously.  I can't take anyone over 25 with that hair seriously.  I like Kate with her family, but I do not like her as the town's welcome wagon to any new guy.  But I guess I'd rather have her with Jake than Abe, although I think she's better off with Roman or Victor, who needs to drop obnoxious Maggie.  Kate's just one of those characters that's been around forever, but I can't think of any memorable stories she had after the 90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
17 hours ago, carolineg said:

 

I like Orpheus and Evan, but I feel like all Orpheus does is make silly plots to put John/Marlena in danger that never work and, let's be honest, they are all a little long in the tooth for the action/adventure stuff at this point.  I need Orpheus to think of better evil schemes than just kidnapping people and hoping it works this time.

 

Marlena and Ben do suck in principal, but sometimes I enjoy them together?  And I am not sure why because Marlena should not be falling all over him.

 

Like I said earlier, I think LK looks fantastic and I don't mind Kate, but I can't take a woman in her 60's with a giant blue streak seriously.  I can't take anyone over 25 with that hair seriously.  I like Kate with her family, but I do not like her as the town's welcome wagon to any new guy.  But I guess I'd rather have her with Jake than Abe, although I think she's better off with Roman or Victor, who needs to drop obnoxious Maggie.  Kate's just one of those characters that's been around forever, but I can't think of any memorable stories she had after the 90's.

 

I feel like Kate peaked under Langan around 2001. Since then? I kinda agree she hasn't had anything super memorable that springs to mind. Lauren has chemistry with Josh Taylor. They need to just pair them. Or they could have given Kate a side story with Tony and Anna. Kate works best with her family. I loved her shooting Clyde with her great-grandson on her arm. Give me that Kate.

 

I just feel like Ron or someone uses Marlena as a prop for Ben to make him 'accepted'. Just a possible irrational resentment I have towards Ben. They just try too hard. And it's hard to forget he killed people even though they want us to. And since screentime is so precious with limited guarantees, I'd rather she spend time with her actual family ... normally I'd like their relationship but I feel like sometimes we waste time, if that makes sense, when she could be better used elsewhere. Though to Ron's credit, I think he uses Marlena and John well. I don't miss the resentment in the writing other writers had towards them.

 

They are silly plots with Orpheus. I'll give them a pass on the blackout one since it was filler. They could do better with him if they tried. I thought we were getting something with Evan and Zoey but they were villains of the month and all three were gone in a few months. It's hard to invest in that.

Edited by KMan101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, KMan101 said:

 

I feel like Kate peaked under Langan around 2001. Since then? I kinda agree she hasn't had anything super memorable that springs to mind. 
 

 

After the Kiriakis mansion fire she really didn’t do much but her constant  scheming against Sami and her romances with Roman & John that both turned to be inconsequential in the long run. I felt Kate was briefly revived around time she provided Chloe a poisoned apple and ended up having to marry Stefano but after that she was misused although the Ian stuff had potential but it went completely off the rails. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, KMan101 said:

 

I feel like Kate peaked under Langan around 2001. Since then? I kinda agree she hasn't had anything super memorable that springs to mind. Lauren has chemistry with Josh Taylor. They need to just pair them. Or they could have given Kate a side story with Tony and Anna. Kate works best with her family. I loved her shooting Clyde with her great-grandson on her arm. Give me that Kate.

 

I just feel like Ron or someone uses Marlena as a prop for Ben to make him 'accepted'. Just a possible irrational resentment I have towards Ben. They just try too hard. And it's hard to forget he killed people even though they want us to. And since screentime is so precious with limited guarantees, I'd rather she spend time with her actual family ... normally I'd like their relationship but I feel like sometimes we waste time, if that makes sense, when she could be better used elsewhere. Though to Ron's credit, I think he uses Marlena and John well. I don't miss the resentment in the writing other writers had towards them.

 

They are silly plots with Orpheus. I'll give them a pass on the blackout one since it was filler. They could do better with him if they tried. I thought we were getting something with Evan and Zoey but they were villains of the month and all three were gone in a few months. It's hard to invest in that.

 

Kate definitely peaked during the mansion fire.  She is just toiling around with various love interests that aren't memorable and weird jobs that aren't memorable.  Make her a business woman again and put her with her family.  I have no idea what the point of her job with Abe is.

 

Ron uses Jarlena well.  But I get what you are saying about Ben.  It was unnecessary for Marlena to go to Ben in a blackout.  And why would John even let his oft kidnapped wife run around in a blackout?  I hate having to ignore he killed people, but I do think the actors have a nice dynamic together.  I mean, if they do something weird like make him a John/Marlena 1986 baby I might have an aneurysm like John, but I don't hate Ben/Marlena.

 

Orpheus is a good villain.  I feel like he is actually scary, but his plans need work.  And I don't think the show does a great job explaining why he hates Jarlena so much and I still want an answer to why he kidnapped Marlena all those years ago, faked her death, and just handed her over to Stefano?  Also, his initial beef is actually with Roman.  He's the one who shot Orpheus's wife lol.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, soapfan770 said:

 

After the Kiriakis mansion fire she really didn’t do much but her constant  scheming against Sami and her romances with Roman & John that both turned to be inconsequential in the long run. I felt Kate was briefly revived around time she provided Chloe a poisoned apple and ended up having to marry Stefano but after that she was misused although the Ian stuff had potential but it went completely off the rails. 

 

 

It's weird they don't use the Roman and John history much.  Roman acts like he knows and likes Kate sometimes at least. The show went hard for Roman/Kate and gave them two stupid kids for no discernable reason. But John and Kate act like they hardly know one another and they used to be engaged.  I know that the show is very clear it's Jarlena forever and ever, but why even pair them to begin with to never use it again?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I hope that whenever they bring Sami back again, they'll continue to explore this Marlena/Ben bond. Last time Sami was on, she expressed shock and horror that her mom had gotten close with the man who strangled Will. And there's a visible contrast between the way Marlena treats Sami--coldly, barely disguising her annoyance and frustration--and the nurturing way she treats Ben.

 

I actually enjoy watching that, because it reveals a lot of insights into Marlena's character. Of course, she'd gravitate towards a patient she believes she can fix, rather than her own daughter who's beyond help. In real life, there are plenty of people in the "helping professions" (therapists, teachers, social workers) whose identities are wrapped up in their jobs, but you don't see that on soaps very much, and you especially don't see many women on soaps who identify so strongly with their professions. So I like getting to see that with Marlena. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

This blackout was so damn boring. I get they had to do something, but this felt like retreads of stuff we see involving the same set of villains. 
 

Beyond that, I enjoyed Cady McClain as Jennifer. She slipped in instantly and had good chemistry with everybody even though she was social distancing. The overall story with Ciara is stupid though. We know she’s not dead so it just feels like a waste of time. They should’ve just recast. Same for Hope. Kristen Alfonso was in the role a long time, but wasn’t so dynamic an actress she can’t be replaced to tie up story at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
51 minutes ago, Chris B said:

This blackout was so damn boring. I get they had to do something, but this felt like retreads of stuff we see involving the same set of villains. 
 

Beyond that, I enjoyed Cady McClain as Jennifer. She slipped in instantly and had good chemistry with everybody even though she was social distancing. The overall story with Ciara is stupid though. We know she’s not dead so it just feels like a waste of time. They should’ve just recast. Same for Hope. Kristen Alfonso was in the role a long time, but wasn’t so dynamic an actress she can’t be replaced to tie up story at least. 

I don't necessarily think the blackout was boring, but it was a retread of things we have literally seen before more than once.  But I thought Allie and Nicole were nice.  And I even liked Marlena being all DR. in charge to get Evan out.  And of course Kate's shooting.   Jan/Belle were probably the best part.

I am truly no KA or Hope uber, but I feel like recasting Hope and Jen at the same time is a lot.   I don't think she's un-recastable,  I can think of probably 5-10 actresses of the top of my head that would be fine, but I do think it's a lot for the audience to take at once.  Maybe 6 months down the line.

I liked Cady McClain too, but I don't have a strong attachment to Jen or MR.  Stephanie Cameron's Jen was the Jen when I started watching, so the bar is low for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
12 hours ago, soapfan770 said:

 

After the Kiriakis mansion fire she really didn’t do much but her constant  scheming against Sami and her romances with Roman & John that both turned to be inconsequential in the long run. I felt Kate was briefly revived around time she provided Chloe a poisoned apple and ended up having to marry Stefano but after that she was misused although the Ian stuff had potential but it went completely off the rails. 

 

Ah. Yes. 2009-2011 Kate. Yikes. But I do agree she was slightly revived. I tend to block a lot of that time out. LOL. 

 

I agree on Ian. I didn't mind Eduardo with her either. At least they were her age. I didn't even hate her dalliance with Rafe. But it's a shame Rafe's friendships with Kate and Nicole were lost/forgotten. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I don't think Hope should be recast. Jennifer needed to be because her lack of presence wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever. Personally, Melissa Reeves has always been an actress that made DAYS feel like home, despite her real world affiliations. With Hope, her leaving town is believable at least. They should just give Hope/Ciara a rest now. Not only do we have Shawn/Claire (though this recast is lacking), there are also a million other Hortons they could choose to focus on that could bring a fresher dynamic to the show if they just ... and I know this is a lot to ask ... try. Recasting should always be the last result, not the first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
37 minutes ago, carolineg said:

I don't necessarily think the blackout was boring, but it was a retread of things we have literally seen before more than once.  But I thought Allie and Nicole were nice.  And I even liked Marlena being all DR. in charge to get Evan out.  And of course Kate's shooting.   Jan/Belle were probably the best part.

I am truly no KA or Hope uber, but I feel like recasting Hope and Jen at the same time is a lot.   I don't think she's un-recastable,  I can think of probably 5-10 actresses of the top of my head that would be fine, but I do think it's a lot for the audience to take at once.  Maybe 6 months down the line.

I liked Cady McClain too, but I don't have a strong attachment to Jen or MR.  Stephanie Cameron's Jen was the Jen when I started watching, so the bar is low for me.

 

I think Jennifer is a bit more recastable than Hope, though Hope's not un-recastable at all. It's just too soon. And I doubt Corday gives up 'Hope' she comes back. So I doubt we ever see a recast. Hope was easier to write out too as they were likely planning that break for her. Jennifer is in the middle of the Gwen/Abby stuff and whatever Jack did during her blackout (feels like Ron kinda pulled it out of his ass to give them something to do and I didn't miss Jack being the town punching bag so here we go ... )

 

I have to agree on Cameron's Jen too. She was the Jennifer I watched, so Jennifer is recastable to me, much more than Hope is. But Melissa Reeves definitely brings 'it' to Jennifer, although Cady is doing a really good job and I'm more than happy with her in the role. Obviously I've watched most of Missy's original run at this point and so she IS Jennifer, but at the same time ... I feel much more open to a recast for a number of reasons.

 

The blackout had some moments and highlights but it wasn't super exciting. Jan and Belle were fun. Marlena in doctor mode was fun. John/Orpheus had their moment. Evan had his moment. Kate her moment. I liked Nicole/Allie. It was OK.

Just now, Bright Eyes said:

I don't think Hope should be recast. Jennifer needed to be because her lack of presence wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever. Personally, Melissa Reeves has always been an actress that made DAYS feel like home, despite her real world affiliations. With Hope, her leaving town is believable at least. They should just give Hope/Ciara a rest now. Not only do we have Shawn/Claire (though this recast is lacking), there are also a million other Hortons they could choose to focus on that could bring a fresher dynamic to the show if they just ... and I know this is a lot to ask ... try. Recasting should always be the last result, not the first.

 

THIS

 

I'm not sure why folks are so quick to want Hope recast? Personally a break was needed, as much as I'll miss Alfonso. She reminded me what she could do with Ciara's 'death'. I've just felt checked out on her for quite a few years and the character of Hope. But I will miss her. I still, honestly, feel Bo's absence. And other vets that have passed away, their absence is still felt.

 

There are tons of Hortons to pull from. Melissa could easily fill that role.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

As for Kate, the Roman relationship, though I personally thought it was garbage, was the last time she felt like a prominent character where she wasn't clutching at straws for a story. I'd say her bedding EJ was the beginning of the end for her nonsense direction of being a welcome wagon and pseudo DiMera matriarch. Awful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy