Y&R October 2020 Discussion Thread

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Six years ago, Gus Rogan and Drucilla Barber. 

Today, I think it almost could be anyone's guess unless we are to get the same result. I mean knowing JG's  retcons Paul didn't accidently with Amy and cover up? Nathan didn't secretly sleep with either Lynne or Cassandra and borne twins? 

Hell, did Amy, Dru, or Olivia sleep with Jazz Jackson and give twins up? 

Maybe Amanda and Hilary are the love children of Tyrone & Alana? 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

I'm assuming at least one parent will be  someone we already know. With the Baldwin/Fishers coming back with Gloria, I fear it's one of them. I pray not though.

I thought Gus Rogan 6 years ago. But I didn't think Drucilla as her mother. Though with lily as a rival, it would have made total sense. 

Since lily and Amanda are no longer rivals, having Dru as her mother doesn't travel quite as far. 

Amanda and Hilary's mother

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Back in the good old days new characters didn't have to be someone's long lost kid.

From a show that made Jill and Lauren sisters, gave Paul and Nikki a missing baby, toyed with the idea of making Jack Phillip Chancellor's son and made a random guy Stuart Brooks's and Dina Mergeron's grandson....

The Abbotts could use an interesting younger person in the family. 

• Members

Whoever Amanda’s mom is I do hope it’s someone new. I definitely hope it isn’t Dru, return or not. Considering she will be Devon’s love interest, I think it would be weird for them to be siblings even if it isn’t by blood. If anything, take the opportunity to develop a new character as her mother. Instead of the typical trope with black characters, don’t make her a deadbeat, but instead a young mother with no options who went onto be successful. The show could use a mature black character and there are plenty of actresses who could play the role. Hell, if you wanna bring somebody back, why not make her Stephanie’s daughter and bring back Vivica A Fox?

• Members

I would love Amanda/Hilary's mother to be a Lucinda Walsh type of woman. Who went onto find success and fortune. Perhaps she has a teenage daughter who is spoiled and doesn't like her mother getting close to someone else that takes her place in her mother's life? 

• Members

Sally Sussman had laughed and suggested bringing on Jonelle Allen as Hilary’s mom. I thought that was her best idea. Of course, nothing came of it.

Agreed. It doesn’t matter to me how the original story was received. It was 25 years ago, and it’s not like millions of fans are watching mid-‘90s Y&R reruns on Netflix and cringing at the ridiculousness of Jack in Vietnam. It’s been largely forgotten. But Jack still has a son out there, and, instead of retconning him out of history, they’ve continued to mention him over the years. It’s canon. Keemo could be written as a more dynamic character after 25 years off canvas—a lot can change in someone’s life over that timeframe.

Plus, Victoria is sort of hanging in the wind without a viable love interest, except for potentially a triangle with Lily and JT/Billy, whom she’s already flopped with multiple times. Bring Keemo on as a potential partner. I’m meh on AH’s Victoria too, but she’s not going anywhere, and they should try to make her as viable as possible.

And, as you say, he’s old enough to have adult children now. If they don’t want all the “baggage” of Keemo, they could keep him off screen and just bring on his kid(s) to mix it up with the Abbotts. Bringing on Keemo and/or his family is inclusive casting that would be totally organic. Low-hanging fruit they refuse to pick.

I think the real problem is that they don’t care about the Abbotts that much. Eileen and Beth aren’t even on contract; Peter’s role has been way diminished. They’ve seemingly given up on love stories for Jack about 10 years earlier than they did for Victor. And Jabot is pretty much a hole in the wall. The Kyle/Theo rivalry is the only Abbott story they care to really tell. And they’re not looking to expand the canvas that much for whatever reason (budget, etc.).

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Bringing on Keemo's child would immediately re-energize the Abbotts. The story could play out in a variety of ways and the casting would add diversity to the canvas.

They brought Dina back after many years with some success.

All Jack needs to do is say he tried to keep in touch with Keemo over the years but lost track of him.The son/daughter could come to track down the family and be grateful or resentful etc. Maybe only just found out about connection to Abbotts or keemo.

So many possibilities.

• Members

Peter Bergman is the only person who’s made it weird re: Keemo. I get that he’s protective of Jack and the character’s history, but there have been countless more egregious story retcons and character assassinations in Y&R history. Unless there’s some backstage trauma PB suffered that we don’t know about re: the Voliens, which... it’s been 25 years? (I mean, I can understand Missy Reeves not wanting Peter Blake on DAYS. But did PB endure something even remotely comparable with the Luan and Keemo story? Did his wife catch him banging Philip Moon? LOL!) Having more of Jack’s offspring on canvas would only better solidify his place on the show, and it’s organic diversity. Let’s move on for the betterment of the show.

• Members

The Vietnam story also went against established history. Was Jack's age was mentioned when the character was introduced in the summer of 1980? The late Terry Lester was 30 when he started on Y&R so Jack being about 25-27 in 1980 is possible. When Dina was introduced in 1983, it was established she had abandoned the family 12 years earlier, so if Jack was 25-27 in 1980 that would've made Jack about 16-18 in 1971. The Vietnam story had Jack mentioning he left Vietnam in 1972 when he was 20 years old so that would mean Jack was an adult serving in Vietnam when Dina abandoned the family, which the original Dina story made no reference to.

I read somewhere that PB's beef with the Vietnam story was that it aged his character. So big deal, it made Jack's birth year one year before yours. Also, PB and Philip Moon are only 8 years apart in age, there have been parent/child age gaps that are much smaller than that. 

• Members

The timeline stuff is whatever, definitely. It’s a soap. Every show’s year-by-year timeline is screwed up due to SORAS, etc. Kyle shouldn’t be 30 years old and Billy shouldn’t be on the verge of getting his AARP card, yet here we are. (Paul and Nikki’s insta-son was even sillier.) You roll with the absurdity and keep it moving if it ultimately benefits the show and storyline opportunities. These shows play so fast and loose with chronology that it’s odd the Keemo story would be a bridge too far, especially considering all the time that’s passed since the Voliens were introduced. And while history rewrites are bad, it’s less terrible since all that Abbott story was before they ever appeared on screen.

tl;dr: Why do PB and TPTB dig in their heels on this storyline? I almost expect DeeeDee to appear and say, “You know why.”

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I also wouldn't mind if one of her parents was someone we didn't know while there was someone we did. 

Example, if Tracy was the mom and the father was someone are met at summer camp. Have them both be way too young to have been parents and the father's parents insisted she give the babies up. She was out from a cesarian and never knew she had twins. The father can now be a very wealthy businessman and he and Tracy find love again later in life.  But then, how old is Tracy? Mishael is 34, I think. It might be too much to do another long lost grandchild story in connection with Abbots. 

It could be almost anyone though. I just don't want her to be a Winters or Barber. Too close to Devon.