ALL: POC Characters That Were A Part of Main Families

• Members

I hate to start a new thread, but I didn't know where else to post this. I've been meaning to ask for awhile, but never got around to it, until now.

Anyway, the creation of Eli Grant on DAYS has always left me pondering if there were ever any other black characters introduced as part of the main white families on other shows. I thought the soap historians here could interject with their knowledge, not just of other black characters, but other races as well. I know of a couple more, but I'll let other posters bring them to attention if they so choose.

EDIT: List of POC characters in Major Families

Vicky Spaulding, GL

Amy Hughes, ATWT

Gabriel Caras, ATWT

Hope Dixon, ATWT

Jade Taylor, ATWT

Lien Hughes, ATWT

Faith Ward, GH

Justus Ward, GH

Maya Ward, GH

Valerie Spencer, GH

Brandon Walker, DAYS

Eli Grant, DAYS

Lexie Brooks, DAYS

Paul Narita, DAYS

Drew Buchanan, OLTL

Rachel Gannon, OLTL

Adrian Sword, AMC

Gabriel Devane, AMC

Reggie Montgomery, AMC

Devon Hamilton, YR

Keemo Abbott, YR

Marcus Barber, BB

Zende Dominguez, BB

Chad Harris, PS

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

On Y&R Keemo was introduced as part of the Abbott family and we all know how that went...

On GL the Spauldings had Vicky and she hung around for a few years,

ATWT gave Tom a Vietnamese daughter Lien who had some story late 80's and had a brief return under Sheffer.

Earlier in 73, Irna had Penny adopt Amy but again nothing was done with it.

• Members

On DAYS, Paul was introduced as a part of John and Marlena's blended family. His origin story may have screwed up the timeline a little bit, but due to Christopher Sean's appeal and a well written storyline to bring him onto the canvas, I overlooked it.

On GH, the Wards became a branch of the Quartermaine family.

On B&B, Marcus was introduced into the Logan family but was also adopted into the Forrester family.

• Members

ATWT had Jade introduced as Rose’s daughter/Lily’s niece. Also, Baby Hope turned out be Andy Dixon’s biological daughter. 

The other ones I’m thinking of I’m not sure they entirely count as they were main characters for years before finding out their mixed roots past.

• Members

That was something I had completely blocked out and now remember.

The way the Ward history unfolded on GH was really well plotted.  From Laura and Luke buying their old house (that they squatted in when they first got back to town and Laura fell in love with) and finding the remains to the reveal about Mary Mae and Edward Quartermaine’s affair.  It was such a well laid out story with all these little beats that ended up connecting down the line.  But back then there was no way I would have bought this story with Edward Lewis still playing EQ, and I loved him.  John Ingle really helped sell that story and Edward’s part in it.

• Members

On AMC, Reggie Porter was originally played by Chadwick Boseman.  Reggie was originally written as a teen street kid. Chadwick asked "the powers that be" intelligent questions about the character, to see if Reggie had any talents or anything to make him more than a stereotype.  "The powers that be" listened and thanked him -- but they let him go after only three episodes.  Then the show revamped the role -- and recast it with Michael B. Jordan who was in the role for a few years.  Chadwick's comments caused AMC to make changes, which then positively impacted Michael B. Jordan.  The actors spoke about this; and this was discussed on a few other threads recently after Chadwick passed away.

The character Reggie Porter was later adopted by Jackson Montgomery and he took the Montgomery surname.  Jackson married  Erica Kane.  So then Reggie Montgomery became Erica's stepson, and a brother to Bianca,  Kendall, and Greenlee.

----------------------------------------------------------

You're referring to Eli's father David being Julie's son, which makes Eli a part of the Horton family.

Eli was introduced as Valerie and David's son.

But Eli's mother Valerie has been a longtime character for ages.
Valerie was part of her own prominent black family -- the Grant family -- who were on the show many years ago.  A few different actresses have played Valerie through the years.  She had a brother and two parents and they had quite a storyline back in the day.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The Ward family (and their integration with the Quartermaines) had the potential to be the most groundbreaking, multidimensional black family in soap history. On GH of all shows! Certainly Rosalind Cash’s untimely death didn’t help their prospects, but that potential began and ended with Claire Labine. Sad.

• Members

GH has toyed a number of times with bringing back the Wards, with no real commitment to it. We all know what happened to Justus. Then they brought on Maya because of some pressure, but did nothing with Annie Ilonzeh. Her sister, Zoe, was constantly mentioned and teased as joining a teen scene but never appeared. 

I'd bring back Keesha (recast) and some others. It could easily be done today. It just requires an investment.

• Members

There were a lot of layers.  Edward wanting the connection he missed with Bradley from Justus.  And then you had Justus who didn’t want to be morally gray like a Q, but who also had all that ambition and drive.

Losing Rosalind Cash did hurt the story because she brought so much to her scenes and played a full, rich character.  In a dream world I would have loved to see Tracy, Ned and Justus wrestling for control of ELQ several times over the years.

Wild that I also just remembered Valerie Spencer, Luke and Bobbie’s niece that was introduced a couple of years ago and was headed into a romance with Kristina not that long ago.  I haven’t seen the show lately, but I don’t remember her being in many episodes before the shutdown.  Has she been on at all recently?

So many things have been started and then just dropped  it the last two years on this show.