The Hamptons

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I do remember watching it.  It was just a summer series.  I can't remember a single storyline from it but I do remember I didn't care for it at all which is surprising because being a Gloria Monty show you would think it would have been great since she had done her magic on GH.  But my limited recollection of it is that it was a snoozefest.

• Members

THE HAMPTONS

JULY 27, 1983-AUGUST 24, 1983     ABC

NEW YORK CITY; THE HAMPTONS

Cheryl Ashcroft     Kate Dezina

Nick Atwater      Daniel Pilon

Henry Boswell    Larry Gates

George Caswell    Bernie McInerny

Brian Chadway     Craig Sheffer

Lee ____ Chadway      Leigh Taylor-Young

Miranda Chadway     Martha Byrne 

Peter Chadway     Michael Goodwin

Penny ____ Drake    Jada Rowland

Karen Harper    Kathleen Buse

Doris ___ Jacobson   Marjorie Lovett

Ted Jacobson    Bernie Passeltiner

David Landau    Philip Casnoff

Mrs.  ___ __ Landau   Jane Hoffman 

Ed Morrissey      Michael Higgins

Adrienne  Duncan Mortimer    Bibi Besch

Jay Mortimer   John Reilly

Tracey Mortimer    Holly Roberts 

Lieutenant Powell     J.T. Walsh

Ada the maid     Fran Carlon

Architect's Receptionist      Chequita Jackson

Attacker            Frank Ferrara

Bank Representative    Graham Brown

Stockholder      George Guidall

Stephen Pearlman

Louise Troy

David Varnay

• Members

Wow, I don't recall "The Hamptons" at all!

However, of the cast, Martha Byrne and Bibi Besch would act together once more, not on a soap, but in a Season 1 (1991) episode of "Silk Stalkings", titled "Dirty Laundry", where Besch played the alcoholic mother of Byrne's character.

Edited by Wendy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I recall the show and watched all of the episodes.  The show was videotaped, which, in the 1980s in primetime, was odd.  Gloria Monty was the executive producer, but the show's scenes were taped on the East coast.  I suppose that the studio scenes may have been taped in California, but I cannot remember for sure.   The actors seemed to be ones located in New York.

Katheryn Dezina had completed her All My Children role (Estelle LaTour Sago) and was a major character on this show.

John C. Reiley had left the role of Dr. Dan Stewart on As the World Turns.   He was later hired by Ms. Monty to play a role on General Hospital.

Leigh Taylor-Young was also a major character.

Jada Rowland, maybe for the first time in her career (well, excepting Dr. Susan Burke Stewart on As the World Turns) was a blackmailing villian and was murdered on the last episode.

Phillip Casnoff from The Edge of Night was also on the show.

I do not remember Bernie McInerny on this show.   (He is a favorite actor of mine.)  Nor do I recall Bibi Beesch.

It was odd that Mr. Reilly had played Dr. Dan Steward on As the World Turns, Jada Rowland had played his wife, and Fran Carlon (in what may have been her final role) had played Susan's mother, Mrs. Burke.

Craig Sheffer was the brother of the future head writer of As the World Turns.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

The Hamptons debuted with a 13.8/25 share good for 18th place.

However in its second week it slumped to a 17 share running 3rd and a 16 share in Wk3.

Really not sure what expectations ABC had for the show.

I guess if the ratings were good enough they might have made it a yearly Summer series. The networks Summer ratings were starting to dive at this point and a cheap(er) series that kept viewers watching network TV would have appealed to them.

Obviously that did not happen.

Maybe NBC could have picked it up for daytime?

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

The show was owned by Comworld Productions and Gloria Monty Productions.

Comworld Productions also produced 19 other shows, and these mostly seem to be television movies.   I am not sure on which network they aired.   I did see that one show they produced aired on PBS.

Gloria Monty Productions produced one other television movie (Confessions of a Married Man with Robert Conrad and Mary Frances Crosby), which was produced by Gloria Monty and Charles Pratt, and the writer was the late producer/writer Charles Gethers.

This critics seemed to dislike this show because it was not on filmed, but rather videotape.  It was mostly dismissed by the press, although the cast was very good.   I doubt that NBC would have purchsed the show, although that network surely was having a hard time to broadcast a prime time serial.

I had not known before now that former soap opera actress Veleka Gray was one of the writers for The Hamptons.

• Members

It was released on two tapes as a mini series in Europe as Long Island. The cover can be seen here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085027/mediaviewer/rm3779429889/

The video tape quality really dragged the show down to be honest. I did like how Craig Sheffer - who would go on to play Keith Scott in One Tree Hill - looked like a Steven recast in this despite looking nothing like it later in life.

Please register in order to view this content