Which soaps do you watch or have watched through the years?

• Members

So I was wondering what does everyone watch today (not a lot of choices left) or what have you watched through the years?

Me personally, I do not watch any soaps anymore. I broke the habit once and even though I returned for some special events (like DAYS' 50th anniversary) I never really stuck around.

But here is what I used to watch:

• Santa Barbara - was the first soap I watched, I have seen it almost in its entirety. I missed the first year, but other than that I watched pretty much everything else, even though the last 1-2 years was hard to watch.
  • Loving - watched only 1 year that aired here. It appears it was the 1987/1988/1989 (during the year when Steve got killed, in a bank robbery, Ned discovered that his girlfriend April was a prostitute and "Clay" came back from the dead)
  • Guiding Light - I only watched 1 year that it aired here (it was the late 80s, I only remember Johnny Bauer having cancer). With the development of the internet, I started to follow GL through the reading of the recaps and watching video clips online from around 2005 until the end
  • The City - I watched in full. Since at that time I knew nothing of how Loving ended, I had no idea who many of the characters were, but I got into it
  • Sunset Beach - I watched in full. And loved almost all of it. Was very sad when they cancelled it.
  • Passions - I watched first two years. I stopped watching during the Hell in the Closet storyline, just could not handle it anymore. It was ridiculous, it looked really bad and it dragged on forever. Never went back to Passions after that.
  • All My Children - I watched 1994-1996 episodes when they aired here. I LOOOOVED it. Finally with the internet, I was able to read recaps and watch videos online, but I never really enjoyed the show as much as I did in those mid-90s. I loved Janet, Tad, Liza, Adam/Stuart, Maria/Edmund, Kendall (Sarah Michelle Gellar !!), the tornado storyline... 
  • The Young and the Restless - I started watching in 1999 and got really into it. Became my favorite show. Watched until LML years (so I believe 2006) and then I left. I came back with Maria Bell early time with Katherine's "death" and her meeting Murphy and watched a bit during that time, but then the whole Kevin the Chipmunk happened and so I quit again and never came back again. I still read news of what is happening, just a bit, although it sounds horrible for the most part. The downfall of Y&R hurts me the most, I think.
  • Days of Our Lives - I started reading the recaps in March 2000. I was translating all the recaps into my language and sharing it with some friends. Got to watch DAYS later on when it also aired here. Finally I stopped watching it during Sheffer years. I came back to the show for the 50th anniversary (watched before Ben turned psycho and then the serial killer storyline and Bo's return). For whatever reason, I stopped watching again and never came back. I read the news and I am disgusted by the fact that serial killer Ben is now basically the protagonist. Ew!
  • Home and Away - Australian soap, I only watched for a short time in the early 2000s, and while I liked I did not stick around
  • General Hospital - I started watching just before the Metro Court Hostage Crisis, as it was heavily advertised back then as something unique. I really got into it, I loved all the young characters that they had back then (Maxie, Georgie, Cooper, Logan, Lulu) as well as Lucky/Liz, Nikolas, Tracy, Alexis. I never got into Sonny/Carly/Jason/Sam. Never understood the appeal. And eventually, destroying Liz/Lucky for Jason, killing off Georgie, and turning Cooper and Logan into serial killers really put me off and I stopped watching.
  • Emmerdale - I started watching in 2009,  around the same time as EastEnders and was really enjoying it. I remember Shadrach drowning in the lake,  the Wylde family, Viv dying in the fire. I had a break then came back for Aaron/Robert storyline, Katie dying in 2015. I watched for a bit, but then quit.
  • EastEnders - I loooved it. Watched during the Syed/Christian gay affair, I looved the Masoods (Zainab! :D), during the Janine/Ryan/Stacey storyline etc. I also loooved the Brannings (Max, Tanya, Lauren and Abby), I loved Roxy/Ronnie. I stopped watching around 2012/2013.. Then came back for EastEnders live show where they revealed who killed Lucy and that was fun! But I did not come back full time.

I have never really watched ATWT, OLTL, B&B or AW.. I know that Edge of Night aired here as well, but I never watched it. ATWT also briefly aired here, but I don't remember ever watching it. I also never watched any of the German soaps, as I was never to find it with any English subtitles and my German was never that good to follow a show properly.  

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

GL- started watching maybe mid to late 90s when Annie was crazy. I loved the Dinah/Hart/Cassie story. Danny and Michelle was cool too. I stopped watching maybe around 99 when the Reva and San Cristobel story was going on. It started to get too bizarre and tedious for me. I also hated when Josh and Olivia got together. I may have tuned in sporadically in the early 2000s. 

ATWT-started watching maybe around 98 during Margo/Tom/Emily fiasco. I’m sure I watched earlier, but I don’t recall when. Watched intermittently during 2000-cancellation mostly if Tom and Margo had a storyline.  

Bold-around 99, maybe earlier. I know most of my memories of the show started when Amber was pregnant by Rick and the escalation of the Brooke/Tridge triangle. Followed intermittently in the 2000s. Stopped watching altogether around 2006 before the introduction of the Logan sisters. Missed the introduction of Liam and Bill Spencer. 

Y&R-my mom watched during the 90s, but I really didn’t start paying attention until 2000 when Billy and Mac became a major story. They are my favorite soap couple of all time. Followed the show sporadically between 2003 until 2007 after Dru was pushed off the cliff . Came back in 2009 when they recasted Mac and Billy. Followed online until 2010 and then stopped watching until quarantine and then the classics. Not currently watching at the moment. 

GH- I think I started watching sometime when Sam’s baby with Sonny died. Watched for a few years until maybe 2008 or 2009 while in college. Started watching new episodes in August, but I’ve stopped again. Too many new faces for me. 

Passions- started watching in 2000 or so. I didn’t really pay attention until maybe 2002 and watched on and off for a few years, but it became too repetitive.  I wasn’t watching during the finale. 

OLTL- barely watched. I did like John and Evangeline for the short period I did. 

I probably watched small segments of AMC and PC

• Members

GH- I remember stuff around Laura’s return and Lesley’s death from when I was a kid through a grandmother that watched, but I started when Frisco and Felicia started, and stayed pretty much until Guza/JFP drove me away in the mid 2000’s.  Now I check it out once in a while.

OLTL- from what I can remember, I started watching it when Tina became a Lord and Viki/Niki split around that time, watched it until the early 2000’s, then came back after Higley was fired.

DAYS- I know I watched it when Wayne was Roman because I remembered him when Drake was Roman.  But I was only a casual viewer until the summer they did the Cruise of Deception, and stayed until about the last year of Reilly’s first tenure.  I’ve never really enjoyed it for long since then.

Y&R- Again, I remember Brenda as Jill, but I know I really started paying attention when Nina was pregnant and Jill and Katherine were plotting against her.

AMC- I started shortly after Sarah Michelle Geller did, and stayed until Fusion and I just couldn’t take it anymore.

ATWT- I sampled during Beth’s era, and then again when Sheffer arrived.  I quit maybe a year or two after Passanante took over.

GL- when all the soap mags started saying how improved it was, I started watching it during the Annie Dutton era, and would watch off and on until Conboy’s stupid baseball diamond/Ben kills himself nonsense.

PC- from the beginning through the first vampire arc.

Sunset Beach- the first 6 months or so, and then the serial killer story.

Passions- the first year, then again later once Fox arrived for a bit.

Hollyoaks- after the explosion that reset the cast, really looked everywhere online for Craig and Jean-Paul, and then I still check it out off and on.

• Members

AMC/OLTL/GH -- Early 1994 to fall 1995. I've mentioned it many times, but my late grandma watched most of the ABC soaps (of them all, GH was her can't-miss) and I ended up watching them with her. By the time I started going to school full-time, I had no time to catchup.

DOOL/PASSIONS -- Summers and school breaks from 1999-2004.

I briefly tried B&B in the summer of 1999 and GL from time to time.

OLTL --   Summer of 1986 to it's cancellation. Plus the online version.  Characters like Tina Lord, Maria Roberts. Alison Perkins and Mitch Lawrence quickly hooked me to the show. 

DOOL  -- Summer of 1986  Simply adore Days Super Couple era. Barely watched during the JER years. Started watching again during Brash/ Cwikly run. Been watching every seen.

GH  -- Fall of 1987. Took a break during Gloria Monty's second run. Started watching again in 1993.   Just in time for the shows 30th anniversary. Started getting bored of GH by 1999. Guza turning GH into mob hospital. Turned me off. So i  have watched GH intermittingly for almost 20 yrs.  

AMC- Summer of 1988. around the time Jessie died. I gave up on AMC during The Satin Slayer Murders.

AW- 1990 until 1995. Ryan, Bridget and Frankie all being murdered in a one year period drove me away. 

PC- Watched it intermittingly during it's 6 year run. 

Eastenders- Started watching during Arthur's affair with Christine. On my local PBS station. Watched intermittingly since 2000's. 

Loving- Watched it intermittingly. Until the Loving Murders. Which had me hooked.

GL- Watched from 1989-95 regularly. Watched intermittingly until the end.  I'm glad i got to watch it's last great era. 

ATWT- Watched from1989 to 1993 . Mostly intermittingly until Hogan Sheffer became HW. Gave up on ATWT when Jean Passanante became C0-HW. Watched the last 6 months of the series. 

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Started watching daytime soaps in Australia as a teenager in the 90s, and my first memories are as follows:

Y&R: Ryan & Victoria had just illegally eloped.

DOOL: A teenaged Sami first arrived in Salem.

B&B: A young CJ was bullying Rick.

AMC: Janet Green had just got exposed at her attempted wedding to Trevor. Gloria was poisoning Adam.

GH: Brenda helped expose Jax and Tracy in their bid to take over ELQ.

GL: Phillip and Harley were pretending to be a couple to trick some criminal (I can’t remember the details).

OLTL: Joey and Dorian were still a couple. Tina had thought she had slept with her “brother” David Vickers.

AW: Nick and Sofia were a couple.

I don’t really watch them anymore (as there’s nowhere I can), but I use this group mainly to catch up and keep abreast with latest developments, etc.

• Members

DOOL/AW - Watched them with my mom and grandmother. My memories of them go back to when I was 3 years old. I loved Sami and Kristen. I lost interest when I started school. In that time, AW was cancelled. I got back into DAYS in the summer of 2001 when the teens were on the island for that school trip and have watched it ever since.

Passions - Started watching in the summer of 2001 too when Sheridan and Luis’ boat exploded. Watch it until it ended on NBC. We didn’t have DirectTv so I couldn’t watch but I tried to follow it. 

GH - Started watching during the Port Charles Hotel Fire in February 2004. But after that I stopped watching mostly but still tried to follow it. Been watching every day since 2012.

ATWT - Started watching after Passions moved in 2007. I saw how cute Van Hansis was and I decided to give it a try. But I couldn’t get into it. So I switched over to...

OLTL - which I thought was much better. Watched it until it’s cancellation online.

B&B - Saw that most of the first season on YT at the time and was hooked on it. So I started watching the current episodes around the time that Thomas caused Emma’s death. 

I was also able to watch Sunset Beach in its entirety on YT before it was taken down. I am now currently binging on Santa Barbara and I really like it.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Here goes.... (P.S. I'll always consider DAYS and GL to be "my shows")

DAYS OF OUR LIVES: First soap to watch in the summer of 1995. I saw a commercial about Marlena's possession and wanted to see what it was about. Turns out it was the very end of the story, but I got hooked on Sami interrupting Carrie & Austin's wedding with news of her pregnancy, plus Bo/Hope/Billie. I've been watching DAYS consistently ever since, aside from missing some episodes here 'n there during some trying storyline eras (1999, 2008, 2009, 2011) 

BOLD & BEAUTIFUL: 2nd soap to start watching in the spring of 1996, due to finding out Saved by the Bell's Lark Voorhies was on it (hey, I was only 13 at the time. SBTB was my *first* love, haha). Didn't see much of Lark (Jasmine), but got hooked of Stephanie vs. Sheila, Brooke/Ridge/Taylor, and kept on watching.  Throughout the years, I've probably dipped in and out of this show the most. Most recently, I watched it consistently 2012-2015, until they did that awful story with Steffy running down Aly Forrester, and the show's focused switched, I've been mostly not watching ever since. 

GUIDING LIGHT: 3rd soap to pick up in the summer of 1996, but didn't start watching every single day until spring of 1997 with Reva/Josh/Annie in full force, and the Trial of the Century (for Springfield) about to heat up.  I stopped watching in the fall of 2000 due to Claire Labine's pointless stories like May the Cigarette Girl, Reva the Refugee Crusader, etc.  and picked it back up in summer 2002 when things were amazing once again (Millee Taggert as headwriter!).  I finally had to stop watching in the summer of 2007 (the show was *bad*) and only sampled it until the final few weeks. 

ONE LIFE TO LIVE:  Technically, this is the 4th soap I started watching, but only for a brief while in early 1998 when OLTL hired the late, great Michael Zaslow to return as David Renaldi with ALS.  I don't think I watched OLTL consistently again until winter of 2005, and then just sampled it here 'n there. I actually watched its final year consistently from late 2010 until its January 2012 cancellation. 

PASSIONS: Watched the first couple months when it premiered. That was enough. 

SUNSET BEACH: Sampled it here 'n there in its first year, during days off from school and the summer. 

ALL MY CHILDREN: Started watching it in the fall of 2000 with news of Bianca coming out of the closet. I watched consistently for a year or so, and then dipped in 'n out. The Bianca/Babe baby switch definitely was something I tuned in for. With news of its cancellation in 2011, I watched it every day until its finale. 

PORT CHARLES: I watched here 'n there starting in the Summer of 2001 with the "Tainted Love" vampire story arc. Sampled it here 'n there until its Oct 2003 finale. 

YOUNG & RESTLESS: Started watching in the Fall of 2004 and became a daily viewer until the Summer of 2010. It's been mostly off than on since, but from December 2017 until Adam/Chelsea's return last summer, I was watching every day again.  Y&R is the one soap where I really wish I had started watching it earlier. Like, the same time that I started watching DAYS, I wish I had picked up Y&R too for its glory years. 

GENERAL HOSPITAL: I think I watched it for a time in the Summer of 2004. That was about it, until Winter of 2012 when the OLTL trio made their GH debut, and I watched most of the show consistently until after the trio had to change roles and all the fun crossovers and throwbacks (PORT CHARLES' vampires; continuous OLTL characters popping up, RYAN'S HOPE's Delia; etc.) ended, and then it became a boring show again and I dipped out for good. 

And there, folks, is Gray Bunny's extensive rundown of his soap opera story watching of the past 25 years.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I love reading all of these!

The first I actually remember is Passions from the Tabitha/Timmy days and Sheridan's life being threatened via the poisoned ring at her wedding. I was 8 watching with my cousins and brother at my aunt's-we were hooked and still talk about it to this day. I watched again in 2006 with the chalice story, then on/off until cancellation. The constant raping and Timmy being gone-they just could not keep me. 

I then remember watching Lily getting a tattoo on Y&R and Lily trapped in the well on ATWT in summer 2003 and being hooked, I would be angry to miss the well saga when my stepmom wanted to go to doctors appointments

Please register in order to view this content

I love suspense stories and being a teenager I fell even for the bad stories I remember loving John having to choose between a burning Natalie and Evangeline at the stake and Tess on OLTL, then found SoapNet and got hooked on AMC with Dixie creeping on her family, Janet having a breakdown and I just loved Babe (unpopular, I know LOL).

As I got older Pratt ruined AMC for me, the teen craze and mass firing of the non-white, non-straight people on OLTL drove me away (despite me being a teenager) until spring 2011 when they balanced the canvas with vets and GH became dullsville by 2009.

DAYS I watched on/off until becoming hooked with the baby switch arc in 2009 until 2011, then hooked again in 2013 through 2016 (Ciara's rape and dullsville once more) until RC came now I watch when John and Marlena and their family have story.

GH I enjoyed from 2006, was hooked with the MCHC and loved it until 2009 when it became boring and depleted after years of horrible decisions. I will say Pratt had a long term vision and did not write Sonny and Carly as saints. I got back into GH in 2012 but Franco, pets and Connie/Kate forever ruined it for me. I watch on and off for Laura now, honestly.

B&B I LOVED Hope/Liam/Steffy but by the time they could have moved them to more mature stories and focus on Rick/Maya and Oliver/Aly they absolutely killed all momentum in 2015 and devastated me. That was the last time I was hooked on a soap. I am literally still bothered by this. 

I am pretty nostalgic and for past soaps I LOVE OLTL so I bought all I could afford and find-I love the Tina/Viki 80s years, as much of Karen and Carla in the 70s and 80s as I can find and Asian Blair and Billy Douglas drama. I love the balance of the social issues and absurd plots within their history. 

The Y&R classics have been amazing to see. Sad that the show was more diverse and taking more risks 14, 20 years ago. 

Ultimately after 14 years of watching the soaps just want to cater to the wrong audience and provide a product the consumer does not want. After years of more misses than hits, backstage politics and bible belt pandering I am essentially done. 

• Members

GL was my favorite. Started watching it after school. Beth, Phillip, Rick and Mindy were the popular foursome at the time,  I watched till the end. Loved Josh and Reva driving off. 

ATWT- Late 80s.  Lily and Holden. Tonio Reyes and Meg. Caleb and Julie. Emma Snyder, Lucinda....etc

Capitol - a summer vacation soap. I like the Cleggs. Brenda and Jordy were my favorites.

Bold- watched off and on since the beginning. Loved Stephanie Forrester amd Sally. I enjoyed seeing a couple classics with them this past summer.

Young and Restless- I remember being home sick from school and Nikki was rushing a baby Victoria to the hospital (I think) watched on and off and then got into it again when Michael Muhney and Billy Miller were on. I watched this last Friday’s episode but am not watching every day.

• Members

Grew up with One Life to Live and All My Children and General Hospital. One life and AMC are my 2 faves of all time. I also picked up DAYS along the way, it aired at 3 c.t. so was east to watch in my area.  Little later picked up Y&R.  Also have watched throughout years, Ryan's  Hope, Edge Of Night, Santa Barabara and ATWT, Loving , Search for Tomorrow a bit and Generations. Plus nighttime Dallas (both versions), Dynasty (only original), The Colbys, Knots Landing and Falcon Crest. Plus also originals of Beverly Hills 90210 and Melrose Place. I just recently started The Bay .

Edited by David_Vickers

• Members

ATWT - from 2000 until 2010 (actually 2002-2012 because the Netherlands was 2 years behind). My #1 soap opera even though it got progressively worse throughout the years. You always have that special place for the characters you grew up with.

OLTL - from late 2010 until late 2011. I thought it was pretty good but it had its lesser moments too. Lost interest after it was announced it would be cancelled. (Never aired here in the Netherlands but I watched on YT).

B&B - I watched briefly when I was switching through channels and saw Oliver Jones (early 2010, but again it aired much later in the Netherlands). I was INFATUATED with him. The storyline where Brooke accidentally f****d him was hilarious. I watched regularly until about 2016 or 2017 when I got fed up with Bell's choices.

• Members

Keep in mind I'm old...so here goes...

I've watched most soaps at one point or another except AMC, LOV, and ATWT

DAYS: I remember when I was 10 being hooked on DAYS and then p*ssed when they killed off Renee Dimera!!  David/Renee/Tony/Anna was a fave quad of mine and it was early Dimera. This was also early Roman/Marlena and had Liz (Gloria Loring) on. I was so mad about Renee's death that I stopped watching for years. Ha. Though I've occasionally tuned in during different times since and occasionally watch some eps now just to see what the show is doing.

AW: I watched AW from as early as I can remember until it's cancellation. AW was my show and it hurt when NBC yanked it. Rachel/Mac, Donna, Cass, Felicia, Jake and Vicky. My fave Cecile over the years. Though the writing was often cringe-worthy, the acting and "family" of the characters kept me tuning in. 

Texas. I remember loving that show as a kid and being upset when it was cancelled. The show was on at 3 here so I could watch after school and saw most of it's run. The story with the treasure hidden in the cave with Ricky, Brette, Mark, and Ruby (LOVED HER!) seemed so different to me for a soap. It was like Indiana Jones for daytime. haha. (Granted, if I watched it again now I'd probably see how cheesy it was...but then....)

Growing up our reception for ABC (yes...back in the day of antennas-DON'T START) was horrible unless it was really cold in the winter. haha. I tried to watch GH at times. Saw a lot of Robert/Holly, and was hooked on early Frisco/Felicia. I remember Grant/Celia/Jimmy Lee at that time. I've watched sporadically since but it's never been a show I've had to watch.

I watched a lot of SFT (once on NBC) and Generations. I would occasionally watch Y&R as my mom would always watch that show. I was usually familiar enough with everything that was going on. 

B&B: I was home from school with chicken pox and got to watch it's premiere week. I enjoyed it and always tried to watch it whenever I could. I was (and am....don't start!) a Brooke fan. I've kept up with the show for most of its run though falling in and out of watching it. I still occasionally watch for periods. 

My grandparents (whom lived next door) were huge GL fans. I often would get home from school and go visit them while they were watching Reva and the Spauldings. (Maybe '84-'91). Always enjoyed many of the actors on GL but never got hooked that I had to watch everyday. 

I would try to watch The City and Port Charles at times. I often enjoyed both when I watched by never tried following daily. 

Less than a year before AW was cancelled I started watching OLTL. (AW had been moved to a morning time slot at this point so they no longer were competitors in this area.) Mainly because many former AWers were on. Linda Dano, Robin Christopher, John Bolger, Kale Browne, Tim Gibbs, etc. It was kind of like watching "family" although different characters. (I know many OLTL viewers hated them "taking over" their show and I can understand that.) It was shortly after Dorian had rundown Jessica while she was pregnant. I picked it up during the aftermath of that and before Lindsey was put on trial. The trial and Dorian's confession is what hooked me on the show. I kept watching until it was cancelled. AW was, and always will be, my show but OL holds a special place with me as it became my show from about '98/'99 until it was cancelled. 

Primetime: Melrose is my show. Love it! Have all eps on DVD. Even the 2.0 version though it is nothing like the original. Sydney is my fave. 

Watched a lot of Dallas's later years and some of KL's last years. Occasionally watched FC because I liked Melissa (Ana Alicia). Didn't watch much of Dynasty at all when it originally aired, but I have seen some of it since. 

Okay. I'll stop because this is getting long and I'm sure I'm boring people.

Edited by Melroser

• Members

Y&R - I think a neighbour that babysat me as a child got me into it, this would have been 1985 (We were 3 years behind), I apparently got both my grandmothers addicted to it when I would visit, my strongest memories don't start until the 1985 episodes, but I get a sense of familiarity whenever I see anything from 1982 onwards. Stopped watching daily when we got to 2000 (which was roughly 2004) In Aus in 2004 we jumped ahead 4 years to catch up, though I had been trading tapes with someone from the US for the past few years, so I had caught up. I kept watching on and off until about 2006.

DOOL - Pretty much same as above (here in Oz they aired on the same channel) I stopped watching when Eileen Davidson left, returned when she returned and left again when she did. I remember vividly Bo & Hope getting married, again around 1985

B&B - Watched this until 2000, but dipped in and out until Macy died the first time (can't remember when that was)

SB - I watched this from beginning to end, though I remember none of it

GH - Watched this from around the mid to late 90's. It was on at 5am in the morning at one point and I would get up while my mum was getting ready for work and lay on the couch and watch it

AW - Pretty much same as above, I remember Rachel so well, but nothing else

GL/AMC/ATWT/OLTL - When Australia had a dedicated talk show/soap channel I watched all the US soaps, this was around 1993 - 1997 I think. I did watch ATWT and OLTL when they had their gay couples on, which I guess was also right before both were cancelled

Primetime US Soaps

Melrose Place

BH 90210 (Is this a soap?)

Models Inc

Central Park West

Australian soaps

Home & Away - From the first episode to the time Bobbi died

Neighbours - I hate watched this as I thought it was lame, I still do

E Street - I really loved this show, not sure if it would hold up well and so I avoid looking for it

There are probably heaps more but I could be here forever