GH September 2020 Discussion

• Administrator

I pretty much enjoyed all of Mike's alzheimer storyline, even if it took years to tell.  Mike's story involved a lot of the cast and there were some good emotional scenes.  It was nice to see Sonny be in a main storyline that wasn't focused on the mob - it was a family story.   And Max Gail was really good in this role. Another thing that was good was the background music - the three sad piano cues.  I thought it was handled a lot better than Y&R's alzheimer storyline. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There has to be some happy medium between taking YEARS to die with 1000 goodbyes and talking about Dina while “she’s in her room.”

I agree that GH missed the boat on not pairing them earlier. I’ll be honest, though. I’ll watch any scene with a Marcus Coloma. The guy is so damned attractive I can’t stop staring at him. 

• Members

I just started watching GH again after many many years. I have a question about Molly. Is she Alexis's daughter? If so, is there a reason they haven't been in any scenes together? Alexis has been going through "stuff" and her young daughter is nowhere around. Are they estranged?

• Members

I think it's more that Haley Pullos is recurring so these days they're only using her in scenes that specifically advance Molly's storyline. It's the same situation with Lexi Ainsworth, who plays Alexis' middle daughter Kristina.

The COVID situation may also be influencing their lack of use, but i'm not sure as to what extent.

Edited by Dion

• Members

But it was realistic; painfully realistic. People with Alzheimer’s can battle for years. And dying can take time. My dad lived with Alzheimer’s for nearly 10 years. In real life, there are multiple goodbyes. Every time we visited dad, there were goodbyes. And tears.

I also think that telling the story over 2 years helped the audience to invest in Max. I thought Max’s portrayal was amazing but found it difficult to watch. Seeing an unresponsive Mike in bed reminded me of visiting my dad who was unresponsive except for occasional guttural

sounds. 

• Members

2012 I think, back when Olivia was a psychic (post LSD trip with Heather) and had visions about Duke actually being Faison in a Duke mask (lol). And yes, they do go well together.

It's been an ongoing problem with GH for around 20 years now. There are so many characters who are close family members actually living in Port Charles and yet not enough budget (or writing nous or actor availability or simply a writer or producer actively choosing not to use a character despite them still being officially on the canvas) to have them in scenes where once upon a time it would be a given that they would be there.

That said, until fairly recently GH was pretty good about giving Alexis scenes with all her daughters (Or, at least in the case of Kristina, they had her living out of town and off canvas for a while so at least her absences had a good explanation) and often with all of them together, which does make me wonder if social distancing may be playing a part in this particular instance.

• Members

That's one thing that I have to say. The writers definitely took their time telling this story. How long has it been since one of the current soaps done that? It used to happen often (a social relevant story in real time). Now...not so much. It seem mostly enjoyable, too. So when was the last time a soap tried...other than Dina on Y&R under SS?

EXACTLY!!! THIS.

And yes on Robert/Olivia. That started under RC if I'm not mistaken. And I would be totally down with a Scorpio/Olivia/Ned storyline now that she has more to lose now. And BrookLyn still isn't liking her, right? So BOOM! It writes itself.

• Members

It was handled better, and done well most of the time. I just don't care about Sonny, after years of souring on him, so it was just hard to invest all of that time, but it was, for the most part, done well.

Yeah, it's been hit or miss on this for quite a few years now.

I'm dead. LOL

I still like Ava/Nikolas together. Their scenes with Avery and their 'glances' at each other are adorable. But I don't see any real chemistry. But I'm still down for them.

I agree on Pelphrey and Parsons. I liked both outside of the soap world. Ethan has been tolerable, probably because it's about Holly.

Good lord I'm so tired of Sonny and Carly being on every damn day. 

And why should I give a damn about Brando and Dev having a heart to heart? I could pick so many other people that should be having scenes together instead. That's one of the biggest problems with this show. 

At least they have Molly with Alexis. She's still my favorite Alexis daughter. And God Bless Nancy Grahn for being able to sell anything. Literally. Osteoporosis. LOL. I do like it ultimately ties back to her days of being a boozer.

I'm glad they're writing Lulu with a brain. Maxie remains an idiot.

I swear the show spends more time talking about TJ, Mac and Felicia than they do actually showing them on-screen.

I sound a bit down on the show, but it's probably because I spent yesterday watching Labine-era GH.

Edited by KMan101