Soap Opera Digest Best & Worst of 1997

• Members

I still have this in my 1997 collection

Please register in order to view this content

I was happy that GL and DAYS tied for Best Show because those 2 were always *my* shows, more than any others. They were definitely banner years for both, but I would actually say GL was stronger overall. DAYS had some great payoffs years in the making (John/Marlena/Kristen, Carrie/Austin/Sami/Lucas), but towards the end of the year, with Reilly purposely sabotaging the show as he left (so the critics remarked), it fizzled (think: Recast-Jenn/Double-Recast-Jack/Peter/Trent on the run, Viv/Jonesy, Josh Taylor's Roman "dying" with John/Kristen/Hope/Stefano in the jungle, Susan's antics getting goofier, Billie forced into becoming a heroine addict while being strapped to a bed, etc.). In fact, by the end of '97, DAYS finally dipped below being No. 2 in the ratings, even falling below both B&B and GH at one point. (They held the No. 2 spot consistently since February of 1996 - Thank you Aremid storyline!) 

With GL being in the lower half of the ratings pool from '94 onward (with a few exceptions in '97, '98, and 2003), I liked how they celebrated their small successes. They wanna tout being labeled "Best Show" by TV Guide and Soap Opera Digest? Go for it! 

It was the clone storyline, and having only two strong storylines featured is what killed GL's momentum in '98. For the first half of the year, it was Clone Story and Beth/Phillip/Harley, and then Clone Story and Ross/Blake/Ben. A totally imbalanced show. 

Edited by Gray Bunny

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's interesting for all the doom and gloom at the time that GL's cancellation was imminent if GL got below a 4.0 and was going be replaced by a full hour of  B&B the show actually was doing quite well in the ratings for 1997-98 there as they mainly stayed roughly in the middle of the pack there at about #5-#6 out of 11 soaps on the air at the time. It was  great period, brought down by the imbalanced elements and stories you mentioned as well, plus GL became open season for ratings grabs from the clone to Lizzie the killer to lab explosions to the Nursery Rhyme Stalker. 

LOL I remember Christine doing that! I had wondered if the Keith Dennison would have lasted a lot longer with a much, much stronger actor as Tricia and Megan sustained moderate success. I also wonder if Bell felt any pressure from CBS during this era as this was at a time when CBS was #3 and desperate to make it look like they weren't dinosaurs at the time. 

• Members

Tricia and Megan Dennison had no direction till Kay Alden took over..wisely keeping the father as recurring.

Abby shooting her attacker in the court room was a surprise..and did have a slight ratings bump as well.

• Members

Was Bradley Bell the sole head writer at this time at B&B?  People often say that the mid 90s was good period for B&B, comes as a shock that Y&R had simultaneously dipped in quality at this time. 

Hmm what about Ryan falling for a 18 year old?

• Members

Bradley Bell took over B&B sometime in 1993 I think.

I don't think Tricia was 18. I'm pretty sure the character was introduced as a college student close to graduation, so maybe 21 or 22.

• Members

Michael Logan (I think...not sure) asked about recasting her, given that older characters were leaving, and her ties to Carl and Rachel and how this would help given them story, etc. Malone said they weren't bringing back older characters.

• Members

I don't know why OLTL was considered "great" in '97, considering the Labine writing regime took a wrecking ball to any sort of intrigue or energy from the Gottlieb era. It was endless Patrick/Marty and later Tea and her doomed romance with Todd. Say what you want about JFP, but she had the thankless task of injecting excitement, rivalries, and drama (Georgie's Death, the Bo/Nora/Lindsey triangle) back into the show after the dullness of this era.

• Members

Didn’t we have a year of Passanante before the Labines took over? I feel like Michael Malone’s era had petered out significantly toward the end of his run. He was responsible for the “Brown Penny” stupidity.