January 2020 General Hospital Discussion Thread

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He turned 60 last year. I like that he’s gone completely silver. The accent is awful, as was mentioned.

I tuned in Thursday and Friday. The show is very flat, but at least GH makes the tiniest effort to make Port Charles feel somewhat like a community. Of the remaining soaps, it does that the best IMO. Friday’s ending was good.

• Members

I appreciate how he feels.  It’s not just the people we see on screen that depend on this show and have been together for a long time.

Part of the problem is those days will never be seen again on daytime.  GH during Monty’s heyday was a cash cow.  And she spent lavishly on the show too, and it was different and special and had a unique identity among the soaps.  She also had an eye for talent, and often had a stacked deck so if one set of characters were gone the show continued with other popular characters.  Even with the worst writing(David Gray, Carbonic Snow, Grant Putnam DVX lookalike), you just wanted to watch the characters because the actors were that good and really sparkled.

GH today is not good by today’s standards.  It is sometimes entertaining, often bland, and often ill conceived.  Characters like Franco have been on well beyond their expiration date, with many attempts to make them work.

Sonny is trapped in a chemistry free relationship, no actual threats to his power.

None of the stories are emotionally moving.  And the ones that should be (Oscar), are flat.  And destructive- we add a new group of Quartermaines, then get rid of them and Monica cries again.  What version of Monica should have ever been such a tragic figure?  Why renovate that house if we are going to keep cutting the family down?

I think nearly everyone that has been cast since Frank arrived has been one version of bland or another.  Even the ones I like are few and far between.

I would say fire Frank.  But who would replace him?

• Members

Love getting to see Jane! Genie Frances was rocking it with emotion!

Bringing up those days of yore, when the daypart was a cash cow, I was reading something just today that I wrote which covered the finales of GL, ATWT, OLTL and AMC. Each and all struggled to succeed. Each and all failed. Back in the day, they were each and all successes.

• Members

Great episode today. I’ve been waiting for Valentin to get what’s coming to him. Genie Francis is always one of the best too. 

The twist about Valentin seemed a little like a bad rewrite though.

Also, it was nice to see Josslyn finally starting to get over Oscar.

I have mixed feelings about Cam and Trina. I think they’d make a nice couple, but I also can kind of see them as close friends, like Cass and Felicia on AW

• Members

Marcus Coloma & Genie Francis shined as Son & Mother. Everything she said to him was TRUTH, Marcus played it well. He had Nik trying to offer reasons with his words but with his eyes , Marcus showed that Nikolas knew everything his mother told him was spot on.

Genie also showed that laura will always love her son but is not blind to what he is capable of.

It was great

• Members

He won't retire from GH as it's the only place he can work and call the shots.  Benard wants Sonny to be a tough feared mobster but all the characters have to like him.  No one can be mad at Sonny for more than 2 seconds because, as an "actor", Benard refuses to challenge himself.  He ripped the legs right from under Michael vs Sonny, a story that could have fed the show for a few years.