Days: November 2019 Discussion Thread🦃

• Members

See, that's what I think it was, too.  Well, that, and Ron Carlivati basically hitting the same storytelling wall that all HW's hit with this show.  (By the way, @ReddFoxx, I hope I didn't come across too strongly in my last reply.  I was worried I might've put you on the proverbial spot without meaning to.)

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The baby reveal was a sleeper. Not to harp on Greg Vaughan, but his scenes help cure insomnia. 

Re: a gay relative of Abe's... well, not by blood, but Jonah was raising Wendy's son Benjamin who could easily be brought back. But sadly we'd then have White Ben and Black Ben so that'd be weird. They could just go by Benjamin's middle name, whatever it may be. 

• Members

I have to agree with this. I'm not really sold on most things being presented to me. I can't say any of it is must see for me. I'm very disappointed in the TJ. I tried to give it a shot but it's fallen flat. Same stories basically. No thanks.

I have no desire for Brady and Nicole after their awful Canada debacle and the whole blackmailing thing. No thanks. 

I'm also not buying Eli all pro Gabi. WTF does he hate Chad and Abby so much? LOL. I hope he's playing all of them but he's being written at Austin Reed levels of dumb ATM.

It's kinda sad I'm only really here for anytime we get John and Marlena or when Chad and Abby are on and plotting together against Gabi. 

I'm here for Lani/Kristen, too, and druggie JJ. But even that's ultimately a lackluster dud.

Nicole/Eric/Sarah/Xander/Brady/Kristen's baby swap thing has the potential to get better but we'll see.

I do like that the TJ opens up the possibilities of what could have happened and what will happen but it still feels ... the same. LOL. I wanted things a lot more different, I guess.

I also think the current cast is a tad ... stale. Not sure how else to describe it. I want some different characters back and getting some focus. Of course they bring Tony back and then he's "in Europe". 

The show badly lacks energy. The daily episodes may be entertaining for social media, and I can enjoy them and it's watchable, but man ... sigh. I want better.

It wasn't spoiled. It wasn't hard to figure out though. That's not my idea of spoiling. But oh well. It has potential to be interesting, with Kayla ultimately saving him I'm sure. NO THAT'S NOT A SPOILER.

It hasn't been very good. I wanted to give it a chance. It's lacking energy and excitement. The show also feels a bit disjointed. I'm guessing we've had some interference.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yeah, I don't get that either. Eli was so happy to help his cousin Sarah find her baby, yet at the same time he's more than willing to stab his cousin Abigail in the back. I hope it turns out that he found about what Gabi did over the course of the year and plans on double crossing her, and that he didn't just attend the Brady Black School of Falling in Love and is madly in love with Gabi lol.

As for the TJ as a whole, I'm still liking it. I think that if we hadn't known so many spoilers beforehand, people would find it a lot more interesting.

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Sadly, I think the time jump really wasn't planned out at all and a last minute thing they pulled when they realised they needed something exciting for the anniversary cliffhanger. They could've used it to really shake up the cast as an example - instead we have two non-characters dying (in all honesty, I'd say three since Adrienne never did much - though it wouldn't surprise me if Adrienne didn't die and it was Bonnie with Adrienne's memories and Adrienne is now running around with Bonnie's memories because Ralph is obviously bored and pulls eeeevul stuff like that) and a bunch of people in jail (who we all know will get out anyway).

I probably would've made a further jump and made a complete reboot. Not having Jennifer being pushed off a balcony, but just having a sort of a "happy ending" episode that would seem to completely wrap up the show as a final episode then a "five years later in Salem..." and reimagine the entire cast, the show and the storylines. That would've been risky but could've rejuvenated the show properly instead of going in endless circles.

• Members

Agreed on the first half.

And 100% agreed on the second half. They could have gone bolder.

Ron's just playing out weird fan fiction right now. He basically just threw stuff at the wall in all truth, like "what if Will is in prison with Ben" so "who dies"? "Adrienne's useless" ...

Imagine Reckell coming out of retirement and Bo thought he was Stefano? Though I can also see why they used Steve.

Maybe. But for me, it's also about execution. The energy is lacking and the excitement is lacking. But I see a lot of folks just eating it all up so, I don't know.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Agree.  I realize TJ's have been done even in daytime, but one of this magnitude required a bigger onscreen shake-up than what we've gotten so far.  Honestly, Ron Carlivati could've skipped a month instead of a year and achieved the same result, which proves (to me) how unnecessary it was to do this in the first place.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I would've also used it as an excuse to shut down production, release the entire cast from their contracts and then taken a good five months to properly plot out which characters I wanted to keep, who to dump (the DiMera's would've gone entirely imho) and who to introduce (I'd add at least one brand new family with no ties to anyone on the canvas). So it wouldn't just have been a gimmick, but also a solution to a lot of the problems that the show is struggling with.  But Corday would never go for it - he'd get cold feet within a month and demand to bring back fan favourites from the 80s...

• Members

AMEN.

Unfortunately, @te., you're right about Ken Corday.  When he SHOULD put a stop to things, he doesn't; and when he should just trust his HW to know what he/she/they are doing, that's the time he interferes.  I truly wish the guy would just collect his salary and stay home (or on the golf course with Josh Taylor).

• Members

@AbcNbc247 Eli and Abby are cousins? I would've never guessed and now that makes his hostility even more appalling. As an on-and-off viewer for more years than I'll EVER admit, I suppose it's not surprising I've never seen them in scenes before TJ.

The one thing that has always irked me about DAYS has been the unbelievably convoluted family trees compared to any other soap I've watched - and not just one - Horton (by a mile), Brady, Kirikas and DiMera all require a flow chart! 

I understand why many are frustrated by TJ and wish it could've been bigger, but considering that nothing of this magnitude has been done in daytime before, I'm sure they were trying to be cautious. Plus that darned production schedule means no adjustments possible in terms of storyline pace, flow, adjustment, surprises, etc. based on audience reaction. Think if B&B did a TJ, Brad would be making adjustments as Week 1 aired and they would show up by Week 4 or 5. 

• Members

Honestly, one of the things I would've done by time jumping and "rebooting" the show would've been to try and unwrangle and simplify the family trees, even if it means ditching characters whose tree are just too confusing. You shouldn't need to a flow chart to understand how people are related.

And yeah, I would've shut down production to get as realistically close as I could between filming and airing date. Sadly, I don't think that'll ever happen for long even if they did that because of the way they film to save money.

• Members

Yeah. He's her fourth cousin, I think. And I don't like the way he's treating her either. How dare Abigail have a private conversation with her husband lol it's ridiculous.

That's why I'm kind of hoping that he's just pretending and that he knows all about Gabi's schemes.

• Members

@AbcNbc247 @edgeofnikActually they're second cousins once removed

Julie and Jennifer are first cousins, making David and Abigail second cousins and thus Eli is a generation removed from Abigail. Thomas and Charlotte are Eli's third cousins.

Incidentally, Arianna is also Eli's third cousin (since Will is Abigail's first cousin and Jennifer's nephew). So if Eli marries Gabi he'd be stepfather to his own third cousin...though obviously that in itself shouldn't bother anyone as Julie is already stepmother to Hope - her half sister lol