Soap Memoirs That *Need* To Be Written

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Speaking of memoirs that have been written, Ann Marcus wrote one, named WHISTLING GIRL, where she literally talked about everything: being a cub reporter, getting married, having children, accompanying famous photographers; then writing shows: Knots Landing, Peyton Place, Return to Peyton Place, Love is a Many Splendored Thing, Days of Our Lives, General Hospital, Falcon Crest, Search for Tomorrow, Mary Hartman/Mary Hartman, Fernwood Tonight, All That Glitters. There may be more. Ann Marcus (93) died Dec. 3, 2014

• Members

The best soap memoir EVER is BOTH OF ME by Mary Stuart, published 6 years before SFT ended. Mary is  brutally honest about her personal life and her behind-the-scenes battles on the show. She doesn’t always come off well and she knows it. Wished it could’ve been updated before her death some 20+ years later. 

I’d love to read many of the books suggested by others listed here but I don’t see the commercial viability for most of them given that soaps are dying. Melody Thomas Scott?  Sure. She’s still ruling Y&R as Nikki. Strasser, Wyndham, Hubbard, etc?  Not much of a market there, sadly. E-books could be the way to go. Zimmer only got her book deal based on GL’s recent, much-publicized cancellation. I doubt she’d get that contract now. 

• Members

I have Mary Stuart's but I haven't read it. A friend of mine did a final interview with Mary Stuart when she was playing on GL & she had the best time with her! She spent the whole morning with her in her apartment.

I think Hinsey & Zimmer were just at the right time at the right place. I think you're right about e-books.

Susan Lucci seemed to have a real easy time getting hers published.

I told Nic Coster:

Mr. Coster, we at the SON Community think you should write a memoir.

He didn't make a reply.

I  know someone on the GL Team who is writing theirs.

Edited by Donna B
Add.

• Members

Susan Lucci is an icon but hers was also good timing. 

I really wanted more round-robin, oral history books like the OLTL one published a few years back. It was pretty awesome. I just think that ATWT, GL, etc have been off the air too long now to get any momentum going for similar books. SB and LOVING/THE CITY would’ve been fun. Soaps that didn’t originate in the 50’s would probably be easier to get interviews from. Future books like these on Y&R and B&B would doubtless only come after cancellation.