Soap Memoirs That *Need* To Be Written

• Members

There used to be a YouTube clip called Charity Rahmer and Drake Hogestyn School of Acting that used to have me dying laughing.

Please register in order to view this content

She really was one of the worst recasts ever. Its too bad Corday let his bitterness at Kristen Storms leaving stop them from bringing her back when the Aaron Spelling baseball show got canceled and she offered to return. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I would love a Mad Men like memoir of the P&G execs who oversaw the soaps.  We've read Lemay's account of their incompetence, but I would hazard to guess that the P&G exces have another perspective.  They could provide a unique history from the commercial buyers of how and why the shows worked to sell their product, and at what point in history it no longer worked.  I recall there was an academic tome about P&G and the soaps, but I bet there is someone still around who has the scoop, and could tell the story from a production standpoint. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Soap Opera by Alecia Swasy

Rising Tide by 3 academics

more by other academics

Scardaville Dissertation

MELISSA SCARDAVILLE'S DISSERTATION

I found something that shows Melissa's dissertation:

Bragging Rights

Please indulge me briefly as I do some justified bragging about my partner Dr. Melissa C. Scardaville, PhD, Sociology, Emory University, who recently successfully defended her dissertation "A Voice in the Room: The Evolution of Economic and Aesthetic Legitimacies for Daytime Soap Operas in the United States, 1930-2009." This study explores how the daytime drama industry evolved from local 10 minute radio programs to the most popular and profitable mass media form in the world. Specifically, it examines how soap operas attained economic legitimacy (widely seen as viable business models) but not aesthetic legitimacy (not generally considered works of art).
Other related published studies were "Accidental Activists: Fan Activism in the Soap Opera Community" (about ANOTHER WORLD fans), “You Just Don’t Understand: Institutional Logics of Producers and Consumers in the Soap Opera Industry”, “High Art, No Art: The Economic and Aesthetic Legitimacy of U.S. Soap Operas.”
Before we moved home south to Atlanta from Brooklyn, NY, Melissa was an Editor at Soap Opera Digest. She covered Guiding Light from 1999-2005.