Days: October 2019 discussion ๐ŸŽƒ

• Members

ย 

The writing for black characters has been the biggest stain on soaps since forever. Most have been written to just be their job basically. Either cops, or a doctor, or the poor kid.ย 

ย 

There is a reason Y&R was able to build such a largeย black audience. They did it right for awhile before they fumbled it all away.ย 

ย 

Other than AMC in the 80's and sometimes 90s and Y&R in the 90's there been very few examples of the black charactersย getting to be real fleshed out characters. ATWT had some good periods with Jessica. OLTL had some moments too. RJ was allowed to be a smart villain sometimes. I also loved when Lexie went bad at Days and was the star of the show for like 3 years.ย 

ย 

Outside of that, it really is embarrassing.ย 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

ย 

I enjoyed the way that the Frye family was written in the 90s on AMC. I loved the way that Livia was written and her relationships with Derek, Terrence, Mimi, Tom and Jamal. And the way that the Barber/Winters families were written in the 90s on Y&R. But nowadays the writing for black characters is either bad or just about non existent. Lani is begging on her knees, and isn't really fleshed out as a character, Ana was givenย very colorist writing on Y&R. And most of the other black characters on soaps, aren't really written much for. Or given good writing and story lines. It's a shame.

Edited by xtr

I really wish Lani was as strong and well defined as Gabi. This ''epicย rivalry'' feels so one sided. I wonder if Lani will grow as a character during the Time Jump? The rumor is Lani will go bonkers. I miss how well AMC & OLTL handled AA andย Hispanic characters.ย  ATWT also did a great job with Jessica and Tonio. Lani has never been fleshed out. Pitting Lani & Gabi could've been good with a way better HW. Gabi can easily wipe the floor with someone as meh as Lani.ย 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton