What recast of any character has been your favorite?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm only including recasts of character that were being played by an actor who popularized a role ... So for example, I can't add Genie Francis as GH's Laura or Cady McClain as AMC's Dixie, because their predecessors didn't exactly make an impact or impression. On the other hand, Sherry Stringfield as GL's Blake , I see differently - since Elizabeth Dennehy was clearly front-burner, and was arguably really good in the role - same for Judi Evans replacing Cali Timmins as AW's Paulina.

Karen Witter is for me the most impressive recast as OLTL's Tina. I just couldn't imagine anyone else succeeding Andrea Evans - I don't think any viewer at the time thought that was possible. Then she just showed up one day and did it. It was as if she and Evans rode on the same wave of energy and spirit. She generally resembled Evans, had a similar way of speaking and moving, and instantly connected with every single co-star on screen.

You didn't need anyone to tell you that she was Tina; it was 100% clear from the second she showed up. She eventually added some traits to the role: growth, signs of selflessness, more compassion, independence - not everyone was a fan of those changes, but Tina could retain childlike petulance for only so long. (The downside is that then-HW Michael Malone never truly got Tina, and would ultimately derail her on-screen under mis-recast Krista Tesreau, and then off-screen in his second run as head writer - reducing her to a deadbeat mom.)

Other actors who wowed me in roles I didn't necessarily think could be successfully recast:

Elaine Princi as OLTL's Dorian, 1989-1993 ( >< Robin Strasser)

Robin Mattson as AMC's Janet Green, 1994-2000 ( >< Kate Collins)

Christina Bennett Lind as AMC's Bianca Montgomery, 2010-2011 ( >< Eden Riegel)

Lisa Peluso as Loving's Ava Rescott Alden, 1988-1995 ( ><> Roya Megnot)

Lee Meriwether as AMC's Ruth Martin, 1996-2011 ( ><> Mary Fickett)

"Honorable mentions" - otherwise very good recasts cut short of their potential mostly due to BTS-BS:

Carrie Genzel as AMC's Skye Chandler, 1996-1997 ( ><> Robin Christopher)

Grace Phillips as OLTL's Sarah Buchanan, 1992-1993 ( > Jensen Buchanan)

Carrington Garland as SaBa's Kelly Capwell, 1989-1991 ( >> Robin Wright; > Kimberly MacArthur)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I loved & adored Brian Buffington playing Little Billy. But, an older version, well, Daniel Cosgrove made an excellent adult Bill! There was one Margo I didn't care for, it's true, but I am blank on her name. I loved Rachel Miner as the match to Little Billy as Little Michelle. They were pistols as a pair! Joan Collins was a huge surprise to me & from what I heard she was an amazing workhorse.

• Members

I couldn’t agree more! He was great as Bill. He seemed like he belonged on the show. I bought that he had a long history on the show and with the cast even though he was only on for a few episodes. I find it extremely bizarre that they haven’t brought him back to join the cast on a long-term basis. Days really has a problem writing stories for men in that age category, though (these days). I guess that may be the reason. 

• Members

Titan you pretty much took the words out of my mouth.  I watched DOOL, AW and GH.  I never watched GH prior to the early 80's and remember people talking about the actress that played Heather or Laura or Rick.  You never saw a recast on GH from like 1981- 1990 unless it was a child actor who had grown up and show years later and that is normal.    I remember when Christine Jones filled in for Jane Elliot as Tracy Quatermaine and that was the first time I ever heard an intro to a character playing somone else in the 9 years I had been watching the show.  DOOL never recasted either at that time except when minor characters were created.  I believe Kayla and Caroline Brady were seen in a few episodes with different actresses playing them but they were so minor they never even announced they were being recasted.  AW never stopped recasting.  Sallly Frame had dark hair and eyes one day and the next she was blonde and blue and a completely different person.  AW is still my favorite and they were not much different than most Soaps with recasting but I do remember that GH and DOOL never did until after the 90's.  I do also remember I think from like 1987- 1989 the only recast I saw on AW was Anna Stuart returning as Donna Love.  Very unusual for AW as there was constant recasting with characters.  

• Members

Now, here's a list where shockingly I didn't like anyone on the list.

Yes, Glynnis O'Connor is mine, too. Just wretched.

And, I mean, all those Tom Hugheses!

I so disliked Philece Sampler although I had liked her on DOOL, just not on AW. Anna stayed too long in Hollywood. Then they wrote this major story for her return! I taped every day. I still have those videotapes! And. Felicia had hair extensions that week. Boy, was that some hair!