Billboard Charts

• Members

This topic is kind of hilarious - the horrible Jessica Simpson talks about this at length in her trash book. She basically blamed her relative lack of pop success on coming in last after Britney and Christina, and no matter how hard Sony pushed her, nothing she ever did could compete with those two in the early 00's. 

Who knew back in 2000 it would be Beyonce that would the one to emerge as the pop culture icon that can still have relevant success (though she's morphed from a singles artist to an albums artist in her career)? 

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Yes! Those are great steps!  Now get rid of the remix tactic where every remix is added together with the original. 

Hopefully this will mean there won't be anymore of these one-week-wonders that fall out of the top 10 the next week.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/9417842/billboard-new-chart-rules-no-more-merch-ticket-bundles

• Administrator

Awesome for Taylor. 

Please register in order to view this content

And congrats to Aaron Dessner.  It's always cool getting your first #1. 

So I wanted to compare the numbers with Taylor's "ME!" and "You Need To Calm Down" to "Cardigan" because those two songs hit #2 and were blocked from the #1 spot by one of the biggest songs of the decade, "Old Town Road."    "Cardigan" had less numbers than "ME!" and "YNTCD" but it was able to get #1. 

U.S. Streams

Cardigan: 1) 34 million | Rockstar: 3) 32.9 million

ME!: 2) 50.7 million | Old Town Road: 1) 104 million

YNTCD: 3) 39 million | Old Town Road: 1) 91.6 million

Downloads Sold

Cardigan: 1) 71,000 | Rockstar: 7) 10,000

ME!: 1) 193,000 | Old Town Road: 2) 78,000

YNTCD: 1) 79,000 | Old Town Road: 2) 59,000

Radio Airplay

Cardigan: 12.7 million | Rockstar: 2) 67.9 million

ME!: 13) 54.1 million | Old Town Road: 6) 67.7 million

YNTCD: 50) 24.2 million | Old Town Road: 3) 95.8 million

The streaming numbers for "Cardigan" and "Rockstar" were pretty close, so it looks like the number of downloads was how "Cardigan" got #1.   To think if Taylor started the Lover Era, like her previous eras, in the summer, I think "ME!" would've gone to #1.  And then "YNTCD" also would've gone to #1 in late fall.   To go even further, if she didn't release "Ready For It" two weeks after "Look What You Made Me Do," I think "Ready For It" would've hit #1 when the video was released in October - I believe the song peaked at #4.   To me, those three were Taylor's missed opportunities at getting #1 songs.   But hindsight is 20/20.  LOL

• Members

Taylor Swift is the 10th female solo artist to reach 6 #1s on the Billboard Hot 100. The top 10 female solo artists in terms of #1s on the Billboard Hot 100 are Mariah Carey (19), Rihanna (14), Madonna (12), Whitney Houston (11), Janet Jackson (10), Katy Perry (9), Beyoncé (7), Diana Ross (6), Paula Abdul (6), Taylor Swift (6).

• Administrator

This one surprised me......but I can't think of (a big artist) debuting a song and album at the same time.  Are there any other examples of this?   And does the debut song have to be the first single or it can be the second or third single (etc) just as long as it debuts at the same time as the album?