Soapsuds

Live Daytime Emmys 2019 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, kalbir said:

Aunt Vi!

I'm not fond of her on GH, but she's the first African American actress to win since Debbi Morgan (who tied with Nancy Lee Grahn in 1989) in this category. 

1 minute ago, BetterForgotten said:

I'm not fond of her on GH, but she's the first African American actress to win since Debbi Morgan (who tied with Nancy Lee Grahn in 1989) in this category. 

Which means she’s only the third actress of color to win an acting Daytime Emmy? Please let me be wrong.

5 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

Which means she’s only the third actress of color to win an acting Daytime Emmy? Please let me be wrong.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Lead Actress still remains the only category without a Black winner.

Edited by kalbir

1 minute ago, BetterForgotten said:

Streisand's nobody sister is singing the tribute now...

She’s sooo doing her best Barbra.

David Osmond is an energetic presenter for the Memoriam and lest we forget how Joely Fisher slaughtered the singing.

Barbara Streisand's younger half sister was ghastly and that memoriam was awful. She screamed her way through the most unflattering headshots of Peggy McKay and Jed Allen that you could have found. And why not throw in some motion clips of Frank Parker and Christopher Kennedy Lawford and Kristoff St. John?

1 minute ago, kalbir said:

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Debbi and Christel and Vernee. SMDH. Meanwhile, there have probably been 10 or more male winners of color. Sad for a genre so buoyed by black female viewership historically.

Just now, Faulkner said:

Debbi and Christel and Vernee. SMDH. Meanwhile, there have probably been 10 or more male winners of color. Sad for a genre so buoyed by black female viewership historically.

Actually 11: Kyler Pettis, James Reynolds, Rome Flynn, Sean Blakemore, Bryton James, Shemar Moore, Kevin Mambo, Monti Sharp, the late Kristoff St. John, Darnell Williams, the late Al Freeman Jr.

2 minutes ago, watson71 said:

Where was Carmen Duncan (Iris, AW) in  that memorial segment? 😡

Good point. She was a legitimate daytime star - that's an awful omission.