Strange / Awkward / Random Story Plots

• Members

GH: Rick Webber was a serial Cheater whose mistress Laura Killed. Then Scott killed Rick & Let Laura believe she did it and she wet catatonic

Rick only had one affair with Monica. He loved lesley that was BS story but I guess it was better than what they originally pitched that Rick had molested Laura in the attic. I guess Genie and Denise got pissed at that and spoke out

Weird thing is, JFP, Guza and Pratt were at GH  when Rick was on and the molesting never happened

Hate when writers rewrite their own hstory

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Rick and Scott had their flaws, certainly, but they shouldn't have been that awful. The thing of it is, GH could have *maybe* had something that worked with, say, Laura befriending a friend-lover of David Hamilton's. That way you still get the angle of Laura struggling with her troubled past. Why invent history when what's there can still be mined?

• Members

JER had free rein to put his most depraved fantasies on network TV while we’ve struggled to have even the most vanilla depictions of same-sex relationships on soaps in the years since. He certainly was equal opportunity in his debauched vision, though. 

• Members

Yes she did that in 96 of her work in 95 which actually was very good. The episode where she wakes up in the hospital after having a long blackout (where she showed up to Bo and Billie’s reception naked, then later shot a gun at a cop and John) was amazing work. The problem is, the tape she submitted included more of the hokey special effects stuff (morphing, etc.) 

• Members

Yeah, I can defend the Labines’ OLTL, which had promising elements among the failed comedy that often bogged down their GH. Claire’s GL is much harder to defend, and I know it’s not entirely her fault. But those were some genuine WTFs.

• Members

Soaps are odd when it comes to childcare:

When Alan Quartermaine rigged the construction to fall on Monica and Rick; why would anyone build a nursery with a skylight?

When Anna Brady was introduced on DAYS there an odd detail of whether or not she had been a "slave" on a rich man's yacht while raising Carrie as an infant.

When Vicky Hudson on Another World gave birth to Grant's son she engaged in a baby switch that was so much more traumatic than an occasional custody visit from Grant; and the audience was meant to support her.

Edited by j swift

• Members

There are so many bizarre and random stories over the years for all soaps but two that immediately come to mind is Lisa on ATWT being kidnapped and taken on a cross-country rape road trip and, on Days, Alex Marshall being in an S&M relationship with the nun Marie Horton. 

• Members

I have to agree I thought she would get nominated at least.   The story had some good moments.  I heard DH has/had a long history of picking bad tapes.  I would imagine sending tapes to people turned them off as well.  It's strange the big supercouples on Days never received much Emmy love.  I am surprised Deidre, Kristian, Peter, Matt, Missy and Stephen never won anything for their iconic roles, but Tru O'Brien has one for Paige....and smirking Chandler has 3!

• Members

On Y&R, when Nick was first married to Sharon, he came home one night, slipped into bed, and made love to her, but it was actually Sharon's friend Grace.  Grace had spent the night and inadvertently fell asleep in her host's bed.

The detail that always struck is that for this to be plausible Nick had to be accustomed to poking Sharon from behind otherwise, he would have seen her face.

The story was quickly resolved, but Y&R seemed to suggest that Nick had learned somethings in prison that he liked.   

• Members

It was just as odd for B&B's Caroline to make love to Ridge while believing him to be Thorne.  True, the girl had been drinking that night.  However, no one is so drunk that they can't so much as OPEN THEIR DAMN EYES and see the person they're making love to is not their spouse.

IIRC, DAYS' Susan Martin met and had sex with her husband, Greg Peters', brother, Eric, while strolling through the park one day.  Really?  Like, unless you're a prostitute, who hooks up with someone you meet in the [!@#$%^&*] park?

Edited by Khan

• Members

I would like to nominate some other Days gems:  the entire Lady in Cage Paris storyline complete with Virtual Reality goggles, underground townspeople that were like circus freaks, and a guillotine.    This also includes Kristen using a hypnotic mirror to get John to sleep with her.  WTF?  I mean, I still liked it, but it's a bizarre story.

Also, Vivian's tooth implant that controlled her mind.  That was a really demeaning story for Louise Sorel/Vivian

From GH:  Lulu being frozen by Stavros and the weird way Charlotte is hers thru eggs that were harvested or whatever.  Giving her a baby with Valentin is super random.