Strange / Awkward / Random Story Plots

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

B&B - Liam does a  story about Animal Shelters and Hope adopts a cat.  Liam and Hope break up and Wyatt and Hope are immediately together.  Wyatt is allergic to cats.  Liam interviews Bob Barker for a Spencer magazine of some kind...while they are talking and Liam is walking Bob Barker out to his car, Wyatt appears and tells Liam he is taking the cat back because he's allergic to cats.  Bob Barker punches Wyatt and Wyatt rolls downhill.  The cat was never seen again anyway. 

• Members

Reilly really seemed to have lost his mind so to speak. He just went really too far and it became the most ridiculous bizarre soap in the world. I really don't know what he was thinking. To get attention? Did he just say "[!@#$%^&*] it" and write the most bizarre [!@#$%^&*]? The show ended and then he passed. I wonder what he was struggling with and going through. Because even the posession on DAYS and certain things, and early Passions, he was never THAT bizarre until the end.

Let's not forget some of the bizarre stuff he did on DAYS. It was like two different Reilly's. The 90s Reilly and the 00s Reilly. Totally different. I may not love his plots but he at least had some, he at least plotted them, he at least had satisfactory pay-offs (and you at least knew he'd give you one, good or bad). He gets knocked because of his bizarre [!@#$%^&*] but he had the basics ... too bad he went so ... out there

I mean, Iraq. Sami as a man ...

Honestly, the initial start of the "killing" storyline wasn't that bad ... but then it turned into a fake island, castles, Tom's ghost ... lawd ...

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Reilly was (allegedly) a deeply devout and deeply kinky guilty Catholic who put all his religious and sexual demons onscreen in the most offensive, worst possible ways.

There, mystery solved only I've been saying it for like 20 years.

• Members

LOL...poor Reilly was the sad story of a closeted Catholic gayboy who wanted it bad..but felt he would go to hell...its a story as old as time, or at least 2,000 years.  Just Sammy being in Iraq as a mincing muscle boy would tell you all you needed to know.

I miss Joel M being on the Soup and when they would do "Another Passions Homoerotic moment!

• Members

ATWT — Emily becomes a prostitute for no reason and almost gets raped by one of her clients. I was watching with non-soap people that day and they were like, “wtf?”

Around that same time there was the endless saga of Lily’s diet pills, which my non-soap friends also mocked ad infinitum. 

Knots Landing had Karen have a problem getting “ready” to be intimate, which was definitely TMI. 

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Yes. He was. I've long known that ...

But there's a vast difference between 93-97 DAYS and 2003-2006 DAYS. As well as 99-02 Passions and 02-07 ... vastly different. Did he just sink further into it? That's all ... lol.

Sorry we're wasting your time Vee

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

B&B could have this thread to itself with some of the pervy things Brad bell wrote over the years. Ridge believing Taylor has given him email permission to have sex with another woman, lol. Taylor having sex with James so he wouldn’t die a virgin, lollll.

• Members

Emily Stewart becoming a prostitute was so OOC. Yes she was a sexual being but she was also a successful journalist and businesswoman. It never made sense to me at all. 

Just thought about one random plot.

YR Remember when Sharon was out on the lam for I think "throwing" Skye in that damn volcano. I can't believe Y&R and a Volcano could be said in the same sentence. But anyway she was hiding out on the Farm with the lamb and came across some little girl who reminded her of Cassie and then she fell for Farmer Sam aka Powder. I mean Sam did come to GC when it was all said and done, but he was gone shortly thereafter. 

I heard/read rumors that Sharon was going to adopt the little girl, but it is still a strange and random plot. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

I won't lie. I cringed a bit watching the flashbacks for the posession in Marlena's "purgatory" episode. And that was when the show had some money and some production values (though some of it could be done way better nowadays, but it still requires an actual budget which soaps don't have). I didn't watch it 'live' I was too young at the time. But I have watched it and it plays out a bit better when watching it as opposed to just hitting on some of the flashbacks. The demon costume was horrible though. I cringed the most for that. But I guess at the time it could have been fascinating to see Marlena be possessed. I know many DAYS purists just despise it, and I totally get why, but there's a really dark and gothic tone that Reilly could capture at times. I guess those behind the scenes made the best of it and did a nice job. But I kind of cringe now at it. At least they acknowledge it. I don't know if that's good or bad though. LOL

I truly did hate the day to day dialogue on Reilly soaps for the most part. Everyone was just soooo dumb and some of the silly excuses they could come up with for the characters to spew or fake outs was often too much.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I am one of the purists who cringe at the Possession now, but when I was young watching it live, I thought it was the best.  The thing about the story is that it had a very good beginning, middle, and end.  It was paced well and not rushed.  And at it's core it really was a love story between two very popular characters.  It really worked for Days at the time and was a nice contrast to GH which was super depressing at the time.  Watching it now I have 2nd hand embarrassment for all those involved especially Deidre Hall.

Reilly did really have bad dialogue.  Characters were constantly repeating themselves and flashing back to things from the previous episode.  I just thought it was because JER really liked dragging things out for so long.  The John/Marlena/Kristen story and the Carrie/Sami/Austin story both went on for 4years before we had any payoff. 

• Members

Re: Possession. When you look at the demon goblin stuff, or the "bees" attacking Grandpa Shawn, or the 3 religious scholars, yeah that's awful as hell. But looking back at the overall storyline, I think the best part was the beginning when Marlena kept going in and out of being possessed and didn't know what was wrong with herself. Some of the exorcism stuff dragged on (remember Tony in a trance?). 

And yeah, Sami and all the guys in Iraq. Just awful. 

And Captive Castle where Jack made it ALL the way back home, spied on and reunited with Jennifer who turned out to be a fake Jennifer and then got stashed back in the European castle. 

This was the same time Jennifer had a supposed hair toss thing she always did that Jack questioned when fake-Jennifer wasn't doing it.  AND... this was also the same time that Sami suddenly pronounced Kiriakis as "Kur-AH-kis" which was a red flag to Lucas when he heard Stan (man-Sami) pronounce it the same way.  Since then, no Jennifer hair-toss or Sami "Kur-AH-kis" talk. Random as hell! 

Re: Garden of Eden.  Another aspect of that stupid story was that it played out for months during the fall of 2000 where they'd only appear once every other week. So they were supposedly stuck in this alternate universe (which they fell into from a door in that mansion that Greta was to inherit) for like 3 months and nobody back in Salem questioned their absence. 

Edited by Gray Bunny