The Grammys 2019

Soapsuds

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It’s funny: Kacey Musgraves and Janelle Monáe’s earlier albums are far superior and more interesting (IMO) to the ones they released in 2018, and yet they get slobbered over now. I think the praise is more about what they represent (woman battling the country mainstream and queer black woman coming out) than the actual content (and it's not like Janelle was hiding before).

• Members

I think there’s plenty of good music still (and it’s not like the folks who made great music back in the day have stopped, if they’re still alive). People just have to dig for it, which is more work than folks with other concerns are willing to do.

You’re certainly not going to find much on the Grammys or the radio or with the music journalists/critics who fall in line behind the same artists.

And, for me, there’s so much music from years past that I missed. Spotify has everything I’d want, with very few exceptions.

• Administrator

No, we're not.....well not the suck-ups. LOL  I think the sane fans are okay with not getting anything after 1989's win.  

Please register in order to view this content

With the amount of nominees expanding, it's harder to predict the winners.  Here's my guesses:

- AOTY: Blank Panther Soundtrack

- ROTY: Rockstar

- SOTY: Shallow

- Best New Artist: H.E.R.

• Members

LOL! Nobody watched this sh!t. Haha. I asked my FB friends if anyone was watching, and it was crickets. I do think there were some solid performances, like Brandi, H.E.R., Janelle, Dua Lipa/St. Vincent and their lesbian vibes, Diana (who was mad pitchy but she’s Diana), the Dolly trio with Miley and Maren, and Andra Day, Fantasia, and Yolanda Adams doing “Natural Woman” in tribute to Aretha.

But the pacing was bad. So bad that they had to cut speeches right when they were getting interesting (Drake, Cardi, Kacey). I have a feeling Drake will never come back, and he was by far the most famous non-legacy star in attendance tonight, for better or for worse. But he called them out for their irrelevance, which I’m sure incensed the producers.

Clip of Drake’s speech, which ends right before CBS cut to commercial:

Archived