Totally platonic, non-sexual male/female friendships on soaps

• Members

Saw this tweet and thought it might make for a good post, especially with the heaviness of recent days.

There were a lot of great primetime answers to this, but who can we think of for daytime? A lot of the more well-known m/f friendships evolved from hookups or romances (Cass/Felicia on AW, Michael/Phyllis & Paul/Lauren on Y&R, Carly/Jason on GH, Margo/Hal on ATWT, Nora/Hank on OLTL).

Just immediately off the top of my head: Greg/Angie and Jesse/Jenny on AMC (although I haven’t seen all the NYC episodes for the latter). 1980s AMC viewers correct me if I’m wrong. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

GH- Sean Donnelly and Felicia, and Anna and Frisco come to mind right away. There were a lot of friendships like this during the supercop era of GH.

Jax and Alexis.

DAYS- Marlena and Bo used to have their own friendship, even if he was at odds with Roman.

Guiding Light- Maureen and Roger.  Although I wonder what would have happened had JFP not killed her off.

• Members

They didn't really have anything romantic going on ever, but it appeared like it might go that way for a second?  I would consider them completely platonic.  Ned and Brenda and Robin and Sonny both come to my mind.  Neither friendship had any sexual undertones.

• Members

It’s interesting. So many of our examples are within the context of couples being friends with other couples. The male partner of one couple is friendly with the female partner of another couple. Sonny was close to Stone, who was in a relationship with Robin. Robin was besties with Brenda, who was involved with Sonny. I suppose that happens a lot IRL.

Archived