2019: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

Is that some shade towards JFP?  He doesn’t come to her defense per say.

Also cool to see him praise Riche.  I think a Curlee/Riche team would have been fantastic.  As much as I loved Guza’s first tenure as HW, I grew disenfranchised with his deconstructive storytelling style, and then just grew to hate it.  Now I am happily imagining Curlee and Demorest taking over instead of Bob coming back when he did for round 2.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agnes Nixon was reviled?  By whom?

I believe JFP is one reason why Patrick Mulcahey didn't last long as GL's HW.

Which wasn't a bad move, in retrospect.  GH perked up a bit during his first stint from the somber tone of the latter part of Labine's regime.  It's only after he left to help launch SUNSET BEACH that I think the wheels began to fall off the wagon.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I agree.  I loved Labine, but she was out of gas after Stone died.  And I was still faithfully watching, but the show was so Stone centric (and rightly so, it was a magnificent, beautiful and heartbreaking story) that when he died the show was just sad.  They didn’t even get Brenda and Sonny back together after or before he died.  A huge set of the characters was just miserable.

Things did perk up just before Labine left, and Guza ran with stories like Jason’s accident and the arrivals of Jax and Carly.

I would not want that first Guza HW stint to go away.  But Curlee could have easily taken his place once Richard Culliton ran out of Guza’s projections and the show fell apart.  That dumb jeweled egg.

Maybe Curlee could have convinced Beverlee to come out of retirement and play a real character on GH.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've long thought the roles Madhuri Dixit used to play in the Bollywood films of the 90s had lots of similarities to the great soap opera heroines of roughly the same period, so it will be interesting to see how this Netflix series goes with Sri Rao. I wonder if he's of the same opinion.

• Members

I think there is a lot of logic to this statement.

When I saw Shenaz Treasurywala on OLTL, I thought some soap would've been smart enough to scoop her up after the PP soaps folded, especially during the time that Y&R had a South Asian American character on the show, but alas, Y&R is not that sensible.  (I could create entire scenarios in which Ravi's older sister comes to Genoa City but that's water under the bridge)

• Members

Thank you for this. I got ahold of last week's SOD today and saw Patrick had an interview talking about his writing over many soaps and I was intrigued by his resume since he was associate head writer (which basically sounds like a co-head writer especially in the case of GH where he co-created Carly) on so many soaps but only listed on his resume once as Head Writer at GL inn 1994. Do you remember (or anyone else that watched regularly in 1994) remember what he was like as HW there in 1994. Given the head writing talk in the Y&R thread right  now, I was curious/

And yes, even in this latest interview, he was talking about family dynamics. great interview.

@BetterForgotten

Mulcahey was also the late/great Michael Zaslow’s favorite scriptwriter. So much so he locked himself in his dressing room at one point and refused to go to set when network censors tried to edit dialogue Mulcahey had written for Roger Thorpe.

Sadly, this was the beginning of the end for sophisticated writing on US daytime soaps. So looking back on it is bittersweet knowing what was to come for the most part across the genre.

Patrick just talked about THIS ABOVE in last week's SOD and it was interesting to hear it confirmed and the story behind it. 

• Members

1994 was a mess for GL (and in fact, all of P&G soaps) - JFP's worst tendencies were starting to over dominate, Nancy Curlee was fed up and left for good early that year, P&G executive Ed Trach had retired a few months before the start of the year, etc. A lot happening at once and a constant revolving door of people. 

Nothing that year was a total reflection of PM's abilities. Nancy Curlee also saw him as more than just a staff writer, she's spoken about his contributions to her team at length before. 

• Administrator

B&B:

- Shelley Curtis first listed as Director on December 17

Haven't seen her in the credits a long time! 

Out of the soaps left, I hope Mulcahey joins GH.  I just think he would be better there (as a SW) than Y&R or DAYS.  He has history there.  Also, GH has better scenes, in terms of just having people talk to each other - I find that GH has more emotion in the discussions between characters.  He'll also get more opportunities to write family scenes, which he excels at.