Jump to content
Taoboi

Y&R November 2018 Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Jordi is a good actor, but he’s no more solid or better than a lot of Y&R actors.

 

i don’t mind the Rosales family, but they’re being pushed WAY too hard and too much. Mia is INSUFFERABLE. Yeah, I want interesting characters, but what’s th3 point of making viewers HATE her?

 

She is a walking Latina cliche — curvy and thick, fiery, overtly sexual, hitting on EVERY guy in town, dressing like a skank, insinuating herself into EVERY conversation. She’s disgusting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol. I don’t find Mia disgusting, but she’s definitely a very dated Latina stereotype, right down to her hair and styling. (It also goes back to how soaps have traditionally played Latinas as villainous usurpers between a Latino stud and a comparatively “virtuous” white woman, and Mia’s playing that role against both Abby and Sharon.) It would be even more pronounced without Lola, who feels like a stock character “positive portrayal.”

 

I just don’t have any reasons to care about the Rosales family. The characters are one-dimensional and haven’t earned the airtime lavished upon them. Too much too soon like the RappaDavidsons over at OLTL during JFP’s tenure as @DeeeDee pointed out. 

 

And Jordi just reeks of “dying soap” at this point.

Edited by Costello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from the Rosales family - can someone explain the story that I don't care about...how were JT's video files on the server of "Dark Horse" that Tessa found?  So...JT had a bunch of cameras set up around town to track Snore-toria.  Dark Horse happened after he was murdered I think.  How did all of his videos end up on Nick's servers at Dark Horse?  Am I missing something?  Did JT work for Nick at "Dark Horse" and we missed it?  And Tessa is the one who found all of these camera videos from JT who stored them on Dark Horse servers which didn't exist until after he was dead?  And you're worried about the Rosales family?  LOL.  This reminds me of the Victor replacing Jack with Yack doppelganger and he had to do it because of the DOMMMED PARRRRAGON VIRUSSSS!  TO protect the FAMILEHHHH!  Even though the virus happened nearly 8 months after he had a doppelganger rape Phyllis because everyone thought he was Jack.  This is ridiculous and it's not the Rosales family. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fevuh said:

Aside from the Rosales family - can someone explain the story that I don't care about...how were JT's video files on the server of "Dark Horse" that Tessa found?  So...JT had a bunch of cameras set up around town to track Snore-toria.  Dark Horse happened after he was murdered I think.  How did all of his videos end up on Nick's servers at Dark Horse?  Am I missing something?  Did JT work for Nick at "Dark Horse" and we missed it?  And Tessa is the one who found all of these camera videos from JT who stored them on Dark Horse servers which didn't exist until after he was dead?  And you're worried about the Rosales family?  LOL.  This reminds me of the Victor replacing Jack with Yack doppelganger and he had to do it because of the DOMMMED PARRRRAGON VIRUSSSS!  TO protect the FAMILEHHHH!  Even though the virus happened nearly 8 months after he had a doppelganger rape Phyllis because everyone thought he was Jack.  This is ridiculous and it's not the Rosales family. 

 

 

Fevuh, I couldn’t follow the JT hard drive stuff either. Tessa made no sense to me. For 5 seconds, I thought about replaying the scene, but then thought, screw it. It doesn’t matter anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ranger1rg said:

 

Fevuh, I couldn’t follow the JT hard drive stuff either. Tessa made no sense to me. For 5 seconds, I thought about replaying the scene, but then thought, screw it. It doesn’t matter anyway.

Ha! I almost did the same thing!  I thought - wait, what?  He was already dead when Nick did Dark Horse - lemme rewind - nah.  I know what I heard and I don’t care anyway lolllll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched Friday’s episode and whoa, that was a whole lot of airtime dedicated to a new family. Was not a fan at all of that. Doesn’t even feel natural.

 

I did appreciate Jack checking in with Devon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Antoyne said:

I just watched Friday’s episode and whoa, that was a whole lot of airtime dedicated to a new family. Was not a fan at all of that. Doesn’t even feel natural.

 

I did appreciate Jack checking in with Devon.

 

I watched one episode and a few clips and yeah, the writers are doing these characters no favors. With the possible exception of Lola, you get the feeling that these writers not even giving viewers the chance to get to know each character one by one.  They're just a unit known as the Rosales.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Sounds like Mal is appealing to every ethnic stereotype of the 'spicy Latina' and Latin lover who is oversexed and highly promiscuous. 

 

Then again from what I've read of how he's written Phyllis, he basically writes her as if she's a hard-charging, hard-drinking, i.e. chugging liquor out of hotel minibars and egotistical power-grabbing man.

 

Otherwise, the way a rabid misogynist might write female characters.

 

I have to clarify on this post that I made a few days ago.

 

Now, I'm all for a body positive, sex positive character but the way in which they're writing Mia does a disservice to the character and the actor.  From what I've seen and read, there's not much work being done to illustrative Mia's identity, how she ended up in the situation she's in, what she wants out of life, other than to drape herself all over her estranged husband and brother-in-law.   

Compare how Mia is being written to Lola, who at least people know that she is passionate about being an entrepreneur and about making good food.  Those things are all about her...what does Mia have that is all about her outside of a man?

 

If you're going to show a sexually aggressive, confident woman, you'd better damn well give her other passions and pursuits outside of sex to balance out the character.

Mal is so into copying HBO shows, why doesn't he just copy Samantha Jones from SATC as a blueprint for Mia?  Samantha Jones loved sex but she loved herself more and she damn sure loved and nurtured her career. She also was written to be a good friend.  Does Mia have any positive attributes?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SteelCity said:

So, is Nate really just there to be sanctimonious and preachy? Ugh. He's like the Genoa City Jennifer Horton.

He’s terrible. It’s as if they want us to hate him. He keeps banging the same drum, and it’s tiresome. Show us another side of the guy and fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2018 at 2:05 PM, Fevuh said:

.how were JT's video files on the server of "Dark Horse" that Tessa found?  So...JT had a bunch of cameras set up around town to track Snore-toria.  Dark Horse happened after he was murdered I think.  How did all of his videos end up on Nick's servers at Dark Horse?  Am I missing something?  Did JT work for Nick at "Dark Horse" and we missed it?  And Tessa is the one who found all of these camera videos from JT who stored them on Dark Horse servers which didn't exist until after he was dead?  And you're worried about the Rosales family?  LOL. 

Yikes...that sounds awful. Dark Horse didn't come into existence till way after JT was killed. 

4 minutes ago, Costello said:

He’s terrible. It’s as if they want us to hate him. He keeps banging the same drum, and it’s tiresome. Show us another side of the guy and fast.

I hate Nate. From what I saw before I stopped watching....he was a very unlikeable character. 

Edited by Soapsuds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get what Y&R was going for with those scenes. If they wanted us to see how Devon is spiraling out of control, they failed, because all I saw was Nate the [!@#$%^&*]. What’s saddest is they’ll continue to use the poor reaction as justification to reduce the black cast. “Look, viewers simply aren’t responding to them.” It would help if the characters aren’t repellent from the jump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Costello said:

He’s terrible. It’s as if they want us to hate him. He keeps banging the same drum, and it’s tiresome. Show us another side of the guy and fast.

He's like the Genoa City answer to the question that no one asked! He only pops u to pass judgement even though he's got no real life of his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...