Why are soap fans so averse to online streaming?

• Members

For most big name actors, that distinction between screens was tossed out when actors increasingly started to star in HBO produced movies, imo.

I make the distinction between streaming platforms with astronomical budgets like Netflix and Amazon and increasingly Hulu and smaller, independent streaming platforms that stream more modest budgeted fare.  In that, I believe there still is, if not an outright stigma, a reluctance and an assumption regarding the level of artistic quality on smaller streaming platforms. 

Recently, I read a Deadline article that discussed how Netflix was abandoning its roots of distributing, producing and streaming indie films in order to chase big fish like Will Smith and Jerry Seinfeld and big budget productions.  If you are indeed an independent director, writer, etc.-- your chances of getting your indie budget film, series on Netflix today are much slimmer than they were 6+years ago.

But I've recently ventured onto other soap message boards (to lurk, not to join) and people are still complaining about those PP online soaps. 

Some complaints were about various favorites not appearing and a few complained about the cursing (which, at times did seem a tad overused) and strong sexual content (I thought this was mostly an exaggeration, there was one or two scenes that were suggestive of sexual situations) but the most common complaint was that those "online versions" were not their Pine Valley or their Llandview, coming on their TV sets at the appointed times that they were used to.

To me (except for one summer when I was a kid when my oldest brother's girlfriend took over our 1 television set to watch All My Children and General Hospital, I admit to only watching the final years of AMC and OLTL when they were on TV, I would hardly qualify as a longtime viewer), the online incarnations had great production values that were comparable to what you might find on a T.V. daytime drama in the post 90s period and they definitely look a cut above what the remaining T.V. daytime soaps look like today.

I think there is still bitterness toward online soaps and the daytime dramas not looking like the soaps that so many fans grew up with and have a fondness for.  

I wouldn't say hypocritical because people are embracing the streaming platform for their own output but I would say hypocritical because while the remaining 4 soaps degrade themselves on a daily basis, many of these same bloggers who criticized the PP soaps are mostly silent about the rot that is taking place with the four current remaining network soaps.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone have real data on how many people are streaming the 4 US soaps? Since I cut the cord, I've streamed DAYS/Y&R. Years ago, I streamed B&B when I was traveling. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers are pretty good - even if CBS.com is terrible platform. NBC's app is pretty good.

Soaps L+Same Day ratings have not dropped nearly the same amount as prime time. 

• Members

One reason why I think reducing the number of eps a soap produces each year and taking breaks would fail is that soaps are very much a habitual phenomenon. Even monthly breaks just give viewers the opportunity to form other habits. Primetime shows that increase viewership despite year-long like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones are by far the minority. Most shows (even good ones) lose significant viewership each year, and it takes a lot of marketing budget to rope viewers back in, budget that most networks wouldn’t have even with reduced production.

• Members

Well, yeah, adaptable is a nice way to put it, but it does make some "look" like hypocrites for demeaning the forum only to come around to it later. But that's life, people come around when it's popular. I tend to be early to the party (and late to some) and like things before they're popular and tend to not fall for the overhype things get when they're suddenly mainstream popular.

I always saw the potential of streaming.

Like you said, look how many actors are jumping into cable or streaming tv shows. Heck, Jaime Lee Curtis was on that awful Ryan Murphy show on FOX for two seasons! Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett ... the list is long.

I'd call it a bit hypocritical in some cases. In other cases, many were just wary and came around when it suddenly became popular. It's like when anyone jumps on the latest trend after dismissing it for years. But it does come off a tad hypocritical in some cases.

For decades there was a clear divide between Broadway, Film, Soaps and Television. Some actors/actresses always mixed it up. But it was looked down upon. The lines are long gone now, it was a slow transition but the last, say 10 years, it's so much different and more accepted to jump around and do various forms of entertainment. They see it as a way to flex their acting abilities and do different things. For decades popular stars on primetime, in movies, etc. couldn't run fast enough away from their popular characters. The FRIENDS cast still suffers from this.

I want to add more to this post and reply to more of what you said (getting into the PP soaps and the fans still bitching) but I'm pressed for time at the moment. I'll post more later

Please register in order to view this content

I think this is a great topic of discussion!

And interesting about Netflix chasing big stars. It's kind of a shame because they're becoming 'too big' IMO. But I get it. It's what happens with companies. They grow and grow and what they once stood for falls to the wayside. I think there are still some outlets for independent artists but I see it becoming a struggle again. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, they want to be big and mainstream. They need to keep topping themselves and getting big names and shows. It makes sense but it's taking away what made it so appealing to jump to streaming (aside from being able to be creatively free, though I imagine that changing too and more interference emerging)

Edited by KMan101

• Members

@KMan101 another perspective. There was a time when the LBGT couldn't get married legally and were shunned. Shouldn't folks who were apart of the crowd that shunned the community be allowed to grow and change. Would we ever call a person who becomes more tolerant a hypocrite for becoming so. 

Daytime soaps still has theurbstigma even as streaming and online shows become more acceptable. 

• Members

Fair point. But I find accepting online streaming and accepting someone's way of a life very different. I'm part of the community so I welcome everyone to grow and change (and while I understand the point you were trying to make I still find them vastly different). Just saying it "looks" hypocritical sometimes, but I'm not trying to say everyone is. Just certain people and situations come off as hypocritical. Not really a big deal, lol. Just my opinion of course

Please register in order to view this content

But yes, I welcome anyone who can grow and change and evolve. I'm always trying to learn from situations and I handle a lot of things differently than I did say 10 years ago. I feel like the same person yet in a lot of ways completely different.

Anywho ...

I'm also tired of daytime playing it safe. UK soaps have numerous gay people and it's not at all a big deal. Not that I think the writing for them is all that great but often they're treated like anyone else and given lots of stories (usually dark and depressing). DAYS treats them like anyone else but it's not really enough.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Totally. Both sides can be shady. 

Folks like Julianne Moore and Justin Hartley are just a few of the exceptions who still shout their soap backgrounds from the rooftops, though. Hartley seems to talk about Passions in every interview. 

• Members

I tend to be more forgiving when it comes to whether a former soap actor wants to talk about their soap careers.  Keep in mind that not every performer had a positive experience on a show and soaps are no exception.

Recently, I read one interview when an actor described in detail what a bad experience he had on one particular soap and he was on there for about two years. 

I wonder if that show and its fans would rather he'd said nothing at all?  I didn't mind that either because although I enjoyed the show for many years, I know there were good years and there bad years onscreen and I figured it was probably even more intense BTS.

Perhaps its not such a bad thing if a former soap actor stays mum--although personally I enjoy the honesty, even if it makes some squirm, LOL.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Oh totally. I know some who associate their tenures on soaps with dark periods of serious drug abuse (particularly those who did daytime in the ‘80s) or trauma they may have suffered on set.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

Well, yeah ... lol. They have a lot of viewers who feel a certain way and they often seem to play it safe.

NBC has come around and Paul, Will and Sonny are pretty accepted it seems.

CBS clearly sucks at this.

ABC is a mixed bag. I blame it more on the writers and Frank than on ABC not wanting to see "the gays" (I know Brad and Lucas have finally started popping back up again but isn't their story mostly about Julian now? And anything with them is usually off-screen?)

And I adore them for it. I appreciate when they can acknowledge their past without a sneer. I mean, Julianne Moore CAME BACK to ATWT as it ended. That was such an amazing gesture.

If This Is Us wasn't a ridiculous hit, Hartley would have already probably been back on Y&R, lol.

I've been glad to hear over the years actors not too familiar with Daytime acknowledge how demanding it is.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

And Julianne simply offers it up, without being asked. Like when she reminisced about getting her break on ATWT when she won the SAG on her way to winning the Best Actress Oscar. All that in a room filled with snooty and pretentious Hollywood types. Some comedian mocked her afterwards, but I’m sure she was unfazed.