Y&R actress out

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is it still down? Wow, maybe the site crashed.

It was an interview with MM's agent that basically stated that she went without a raise for the years she was on the show. Initially he thought it was standard in the first two years but when each time they went to renew, there was never any opening for either a raise or any other amenities/perks (e.g episode guarantees, etc.) that are usually offered in place of more money--the new contract was basically presented as a 'take it or leave it' ultimatum.  

Like anyone, that proposition wore itself out when the agent looked at the numbers, in terms of number of episodes that MM was in, how much she drove story, how often her character was utilized in stories, her popularity/fanbase (Remember, I once mentioned that social media mentions/hashtags were analyzed in determining a performer's value).  

The agent thanks MM's fans for the love and support, said he hasn't had the time to personally respond to all of the outpouring but has related this MM who is grateful for the fans and how supporting they've been.

He also said that MM's contract officially expires June 22 (tomorrow, I believe) and that although they are considering other offers (didn't specify) as there has been a good amount of interest in MM, he believes things were left with Sony in an amicable state.

• Members

He also stated that no one who renewed recently was offered a raise. But I think that's a bit different for them than MiM being that she came in with a minimal contract as a relative new actress who hadn't had much work to begin with. She's surely worth taken a look at as an exception to the rule being that in these 5 years  she's gone from unknown to one of the more popular on the show with loads of visibility.  She's probably the only one on set whose status so  dramatically changed that their pay isn't anywhere near commiserate with what they're due. 

• Members

And that's bullshit.  She's the most dynamic young actress they have.  They know it.  And still low balled her.  I don't blame her for walking.

I will say that I would find it hard to believe that other cast members went 5 years without a raise.  MO, CG surely got bumps.  Maybe not mega bucks but something.  It pisses me off they treated Mishael this way.

• Members

It's actually not only about money, other actors may not have gotten raises but other perks.  MM got nothing.  That's why the agent stated that it starts out about money but then they also negotiate for other things like episode guarantees, perhaps even greater flexibility in the schedule to allow the talent to pursue other projects or time off. 

Just because other actors didn't get raises, doesn't mean they got no additional perks.  Also, like many others have said, MM may have started out with a lower base salary than some others. She was on Canadian TV but most U.S. viewers wouldn't have known her and that was likely reflected in her salary the first year but her character was integrated into the cast and subsequently began to get a lot more story.

• Members

I'm willing to believe that everyone remained the same. I can go with that.  But MO and CG came in way higher so considering story load, visibility, and popularity, they are fine with not getting a raise. They haven't done crap to earn one. Mishael, on the other hand, should be higher than the lowest amount allowed per unions. She should at least been given a bump to be at MOs level. 

I have an idea. Fire Cait Fairbanks and give that money they are saving from her .5 episodes per week guarantee to Mishael Morgan! Sounds like a plan! 

• Members

The link worked for me.

Wow! I never heard an agent go on the record discussing an actor's contract negotiations. Has that ever happened before? Usually we have no idea what's going on, the actor is just semi-killed off, or just MIA....until they aren't. I wonder if that will have an impact on negotiations. And would the impact be a positive, or a negative?

I wonder how many other actors Y&R will lose if Y&R isn't giving raises. If I was one of the young actors I'd be looking out for other opportunities. The good news would be that if MiM gets a raise out of this they'll probably get one too. But Sony is so cheap, they don't value their talent, new or old. If MiM really has some other opportunities she should take them. It's not going to be any better next time around, and then she'll be older and more type cast.

It has to be frustrating, her screen partner Bryton, is probably making multiples of what she makes since he's a vet, and she's doing the exact same work (and some would say even more).

I think the vets have all been taking cuts over the last decade, but I suppose their pay had reached pretty comfortable levels before Sony started pressuring them for some of it back. Still, it's notable that JM sold his expensive Pacific Palisades place for a cheaper

(but still very nice place) inland. Westlake is beautiful but if anyone is given the choice of course you'd choose PP.  Plus his commute to work is now Hwy 101....which can be clogged at midnight. 

• Members

More steering the conversation to bashing Bryton. SMH. 

Bryton isn't valued despite him being considered a vet. I'm sure he doesn't make as much as others with his tenure. They probably have identical contracts. Afterall, his gaurantee is 1 episode a week. We know this because for years, his episode count was EXACTLY 52! 

If Mishael is looking at anyone being frustrated, it isn't him. 

• Members

She could always join B&B where the black actors get to play mini storylines in the summer when the other actors are on vacation. 

Shame on Y&R for being stupid enough to lose her. She was great, but her stories were always beneath her. I wish her the best. 

• Members

MM's agent likely put the interview out there to avert any future narrative trying to paint the actress as difficult.  Y&R/Sony has been known to do this in the past (*coughs Victoria Rowell*) in order to take the onus off themselves.

Just as I thought.

• Members

People can critique a male performer getting more than Morgan, or a performer's talent vs. Morgan's and there's not a damn thing anyone's gonna be able to do about it, so let people make their points and suck it up. This is about her.

• Members

I'm just pointing out the obvious fallacy in the argument. If folks can bring it up then others can point out when it's off the mark. I doubt Mishael is pining away for Bryton's 1 episode a week contract! If she is then her expectations for herself are very low. 

• Members

Bryton being "valued" would be more than episode guarantee.   Sony has to define what "value" is and define it in concrete terms.. All the actors belong to a union and there are certain rules for compensation. Right?  Aren't the number of years with the soap figured into the calculation? Sony has to be fair in comparison to what they pay others, or they could be in big trouble. So they must have some sort of formula they follow just in case they are sued. 

Sony's formula would be a way to compare one against others.To me there are two big comparisons, her/his closest screen partner, who in this case would be a pairing, and would have something to do with Hevon having impact/popularity. In others it would be a rivalry like Kay/Jill. I suppose someone like Victor would stand alone since he's the show's lead. And the second would be actors that have been there about as long as she has, and that have work about the same amount of episodes. 

Sony's biggest problem may be if they give MiM a raise they have to do it for others.

Archived