Y&R February 2018 Discussion

• Members

It’s too bad soaps won’t commit to a true bisexual character, but I suppose that has more to do with society’s discomfort with it. If there were more lesbian characters on Y&R and other shows, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal for Mariah to pair up with a man, but to do it now would take away the only lesbian character on soaps at the moment and look like a capitulation to conservatives.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

TY for calling it like it is! I know CG/Cassie is beloved by fans, but Mariah has two speeds: snarky or complaining. Neither are character traits I particularly warm to unless there is other stuff there to balance that out. As for CF, lord, this mouth-breather swallowing the last consonant on all her words! A scrappy, outsider character as Tessa was likely conceived to be SHOULD set the screen alight. I'm thinking Nicolette Sheridan on Knots Landing, Alexa Havins on AMC (yes, I hated Babe but you can see why she passed the AMC auditions), heck, Y&R's own Mishael Morgan as Hilary. Actresses who breathe oxygen into a role and inspire the writers to drive story. Tessa is driving story but it is all so limp.

It was but how ironic that Hilary & Devon where showcasing a lot of chemistry (which isn't something I say all the time about Hevon) and this only served to accentuate the black hole of suck that is Messa.

I also want to say that even though Tessa is penniless and homeless, she still has enough coin for a big red manicure, and she isn't running low on lipstick. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Is it just me, or does anyone get the sense that writers may be attempting to write Devon and Hilary like David and Maddie from Moonlighting?  Just in the way they interact in the office.  Speaking of the office, there are way too many people in that one office--Hilary does need her own office, it would be better if they had the two offices adjoined somehow but separated by a door, so one could enter the other's office, at will.

At this point, they could shift Mariah to Crimson Lights--hey Noah worked with Nick at The Underground for years, why not have Mariah work with her Mother at CL?  She and Tessa could still interact (and the pairing can sink or swim on its own merits).

If they want another person to work at HWG, why not JT?  He could work at Devon's music streaming service, either doing cyber security--protecting against  hacking, piracy, maybe even with new artists in the song-writing division.

Y&R needs to change it up, things are somewhat dull and static in some areas of the show and subtle changes might help.

I thought about your words when I was watching yesterday's show, which is why I mentioned that that writers need to write more for her (i.e.  broaden her role to do more than what she's currently doing) because she's more than capable of doing other things.

Still, she was probably the best thing about yesterday's episode.

• Members

Chelsea's exit SL is so OOC. Yes, I know she's 'goin back to her roots' as a scammer, but are we to believe she has been on this scam ever since she set up that hokey design company? All we have seen for YEARS is Chelsea being a Mary Sue. She went legit, raised her babies, and inspired Adam to become a changed man. Now suddenly that was all an act? 

And for CSI Phyllis to single-handedly connect the dots in a day... ugh. As Nikki said on Monday, Phyllis judging from her moral high ground? Please. 

Speaking of Nikki, we did not see her and Arturo's love scene. We never see love scenes anymore on Y&R -- the characters just make sexy eyes at each other and then disappear up the stairs. The idea of Nikki and Arturo getting it on was out of the blue, but they were hot together. I wouldn't have minded Nikki reclining in some age-appropriate silk negligee while Arturo rips off his shirt! Could have been sexy and amusing! I guess love scenes are a budget constraint ?

They've always kind of written Hevon as this 'can't live with you, can't live without you' couple with lots of bickering, no?

As you say, it makes no sense for a bazillionaire like Devon to have that dank little office (where Tessa also sleeps FYI) crowded with himself, Neil (when he's around), PA Tessa, and now Hilary and Mariah. And then Devon taking all 4 of them out for a team-building exercise. 

Must have been a slow day!

• Members

Wednesday's impromptu "dinner party" was such a bad plot point, just to have Chelsea and Phyllis in the same room together and make evil eyes at each another. And did they even eat?? One moment, "Hi, thanks for coming. Here's some wine." Next moment, "Mmm. That was good." And who had time to whip up such a lovely meal for six people? Did they have dessert? 

And as you guys mentioned, clueless Nicholas strikes again. 

I do like the CSI Phyllis, Columbo Phyllis nicknames. She's on a mission.

• Members

Nick is dumber than a box of rocks! 

Phyllis was totally pulling a Columbo yesterday when she showed up at Chick's apartment and then came back again, like

Image result for columbo one more thing gif

Can't WAIT to see this 'dinner party' with Nick, Chelsea and Philly. 

Archived