Y&R February 2018 Discussion

• Members

When Phyllis was accusing Chelsea in Tuesday's ep, he got that confused look on his face like he was straining to pass wind. Then Chelsea said "omg Nick do you hear that? Is that Chrishun? Crying? In his bed? Alone?" And Doofus was like "duhhhh guess I'll go check on him" 

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So Chelsea just one day decided to create a fake site and send knockoffs of her own collection? I’m kind of confused by the story. Wasn’t she married to a Newman and presumably would be marrying another? Does she just really like money?

• Members

@DramatistDreamer @Cat  hevon does have a moonlighting feeling now. Before, Hilary was arguing with everyone else while Devon was hanging his head in shame and trying to shut Hilary up. This time around, he's the one arguing with her. And it isn't in a "oh, honey" kinda way. She's not trampling over him. So it's a slight change. I'm assuming that the show decided to give Devon and Hilary that story/ role which was previously occupied by Abby and Scott. 

Hilary doesn't need an office at HWG. Only reason they want her there is cause of Tessa and Mariah. I just want to know the purpose of her having to force her way in.  Why not have devon give her an office?  Seems like some half azz attempt at recreating Cookie's entrance into Empire.  But it doesn't work cause Devon BOUGHT her company. I could see if said purchase was a merger instead with her company having saved his media company. But that didn't happen no matter how many time she says "what we're building here". So Hilary just looks like an out of touch, demanding diva who thinks too much of herself. Bah! Bad writing. 

I don't think for a second that Nikki slept with Arturo. If we didn't see it, it didn't happen. I feel like Nikki and victor sre scheming together for some purpose. Maybe take over Jabot? Or put their family back together all working at Newman? Something. Not sure what yet. 

My problem with Phyllis being the one to find out what Chelsea is doing doesn't seem to make sense for her to do. Why is this her story? Why is it her personal mission? 

I just need to know why Chelsea is doing this? Then maybe I'd be able to wrap mind around everything else. 

• Members

I'm not talking about writer's intent, I'm saying what should happen for the sake of the storyline.  

Ashley technically works and answers to Victor and she clearly is getting an office, Hilary could as well. As far as I'm concerned, Mariah would be better served by working with Sharon at Crimson Lights, as I mentioned previously.  Of course, I know that won't happen but I'm speaking hypothetically of what should happen if they actually want to improve this story line which is stalling.

Also, they never actually showed Ashley and Ravi having sex (they should Ashley in a garter and bustier/cam undies set) but we all know they did.  Personally, I think it's an age(ist) thing. 

Somehow MY is under the impression that people don't want to see older women engaged in the physical act with younger men, so he just hints around it.

How very Victorian of him.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Ah, I see. Agreed. But note the difference. Ashley was welcomed with open arms. Hilary has to bulldoze despite Devon being the to sweet talk her into feeling to him. I'm just curious as to why the show is going that route with her.

Agree about Mariah working for Sharon. It seems a great fit for her. More so than even Sharon. Why won't they? 

If Mal is not going to show it with the older ladies, why even write it. What's the point?  

I've just got so many "why's" at the moment. 

• Members

I don't want to get your hopes up because the dinner party itself was lame-o...but the shooting looks between Phyllis and Chelsea are spot on, plus the men, especially clueless Nick, are wondering what the heck is going on. It had me chuckling. 

• Members

I’m just enjoying seeing GT play Phyllis as scheming again. And the Victoria vs. Ashley drama is enveloping most of the canvas. Outside of the Mariah/Tessa bother (which Cait Fairbanks is tanking) and Lily/Cane’s romance, I’m decently satisfied with the show at the moment. Of course, things can shift dramatically with MY’s topsy-turviness, but I’m neither bored nor angry when I watch for the most part.

• Members

The writing for Hilary has been variable from the very beginning of her existence in GC, it changes wildly all the time.  It's really only MM's talent and personality and interpretation of the character that has kept Hilary interesting and viable.

I can see the Moonlighting aspect especially if they have Devon and Hilary connect so well in the office (even when they disagree and talk over each other) that they can practically finish each other's sentences but then Y&R tries to make her Whitley Gilbert, which doesn't work because Hilary is no 'pampered princess' the way Whitley was, also this is not a sitcom.

They should have had Hilary really really ponder her offers before coming to a decision.  I mean pacing her suite at the GCAC, making a list of the pros and cons and have Devon "woo" her, maybe we even get a scene where Devon announces that Neil wants to have a conference call with her then later we see Hilary say something like "I never thought, in a million years that Neil would be pitching me to come onboard Hamilton-Winters" and Devon says something like "that's how good of an idea we think this will be".  

It would be similar to the way Nikki, of all people, pitched Ashley on the idea of coming to Newman Enterprises.  Had they done this with Devon and Hilary, there would be no question of whether she was wanted or whether she bulldozed her way in.

Also, the whole idea about Hilary doing this for her yet to be conceived, unborn child as her sole motivation is a bit thin, as far as I'm concerned. If the writers showed us that Hilary is putting her trust and everything that she has (and she remembers what it means to have nothing and to have to scratch and claw and Devon should remember too) and this has to be right we'd have a much clearer understanding of her motivations for demanding certain things and appearing hard about other things. 

Had the writers made the viewers understand that This Is Her Life and this is all that she truly has, the audience wouldn't have to approve of everything that came out of her mouth, but they sure as hell would understand why she said it and her motivation behind it.

Also as an aside, we don't need the condescension to Tessa about making her coffee, that worked for Dina and Gloria but it doesn't work in this situation, Hilary doesn't need it. JMO.

• Members

Yes, yes, yes to all this. 

I didn't think Hilary was Whitley Gilbert but I do see the comparison.  She seems more a Housewife of Atlanta than anything. Whitley was spoiled and high maintenance but she was authetic. I don't get they want us to see Hilary as authentic. She has been called fake and phony and polished by more than one person. 

Great points on what's missing from the story being Hilary remembering where she comes from and fighting not to go back to that. But as you said, they don't play her as someone who achieved success. She's a spoiled housewife despite never being a housewife. But that's to juxtapose against and play as opposite to down to earth Mariah. 

Devon mentioned a memo from Neil that he'd read at the meeting but we never heard it. This story is half done unlike Ashley at Newman. 

• Members

Catching up on Tuesday’s episode. I was absolutely heartbroken for Traci. Is there really no way to get Beth a contract? This is the most she’s been used since I started watching the show and I find I miss her greatly when she’s not on with the rest of the Abbotts.

I actually liked Phyllis being all Columbo. I’ll take that over anymore Philly lovey dovey scenes.

• Members

Well Gina T is reminding me of Phyllis again. Don't know if I like it though.... Phyllis always so sanctimonious when she takes down others.

They have really cut back on Victor. Is Braden on vacation? I'm not complaining, because the character could use some rest.

Nikki looks beautiful. I also like that they are having different characters mingle and interact again.

Phyllis has been putting herself into other people's life for a LONG TIME. Remember her finding out Lily was not Neil's bio daughter? If anything, this is modern day Phyllis. Her character has always been self-serving. 

I have to say, JT/Victoria actually are a good couple. Even there sexy scenes, are pretty sexy.

Mariah needs her edge back. They need to write Tessa better, but the actress is just not working out (although I can see in a couple months Tessa becoming a more compelling character and people want her to say ie. Sage, Vail Bloom's Heather, original Adam). However, I take slight offence that just because someone is homeless means they need to "look homeless" from what I'm gathering on here. You'd be surprise (not really) how many people are homeless and still manage to put themselves together; either by credit cards or using public gym (which was probably one of the most realistic thing I saw). Tessa is the only realistic character on here to actually fit the bill. 

Archived