Y&R Mal Young talks Alzheimers storyline

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I applaud the idea to deal with this topic, I am disappointed that the character of Dina was chosen.

For me, the problem is that we have waited years for Dina to return and Marla delivered in spite of some wobbly writing. The Abbotts were given something new to do that was based on history.

To have the only older woman on the show afflicted with this sends the message that old = sick whereas it would have been nice to see her as a more active character.

And of course, there was no way Victor would have been chosen for that story, despite EB being only a few years younger than Marla.

If there were a range of characters 60 plus then having one of them have Alzheimers would be legitimate but when its the only woman of that age...

• Members

I don't think he is making a mockery of the story, yet.

I'm not sure how long Marla Adams wants to be on the show, and yes this is terribly sad to see the Abbott's have to go through sadness once again. I've loved the energy that Marla Adams has brought on the show, and I hope they handle this story very carefully. The actors we know can deliver, but the honesty in the writing has to be there.

• Members

First, shouldn't this be in the spoiler thread? Second, I hate the story. I know is is relevant and is happening in real life as we speak but this is not the type of story I want to see on my screen. It is very depressing. I'll probably just skip this story. MA is a beloved vet and for her character to go through this is a bit much for me.

• Members

Dan McCloskey had Alzheimer's on ATWT  in the 1990s. This is not the first daytime story as stated in the article. It also left Dan with dignity, not using him in five storylines like he's doing with Dina 
(fire, stabbing, jumping into cars,walking from the Abbott's to the Underground, Spilling Ashley's secret.) For someone with such a good reason for telling the story, he's made the character a joke.  I know people with Alzheimer's do these types of things, but seriously, MY's Y&R is a show on speed or crack. He needs to slow a few things down at least a little, and start letting the characters fill in the story beats.

As for Traci, she needs to be on the canvas, regardless the story. Her warmth is one thing the whole show is missing. She should not only be interacting with her family, but also with Colleen's BFF, Lily. Without Liv, at least someone she grew up with could advise her.

• Members

She was just on for the non-event of Ashley's paternity reveal. But then she was dropped again. I don't get it. Her absence is glaring, especially when they use her here and there but then when I think they really need her, she's nowhere around.

Pretty much.

I have no issues with an Alzheimer's story, but like others have said, giving it to Dina was a mistake. At least while Marla's able and willing to be on the show, they're boxing Dina into a corner they can't get out of.

• Members

Dan McCloskey had been on the Oakdale canvas for at least a decade before we gradually saw his decline. Even when he was diagnosed, it was a gradual decline in health. It was done very thoughtfully.

Dina has been on less than a year and we've hardly got to enjoy her as a force before we are seeing her health decline and it's  a very sharp slide.  I also get the sense that some of Dina's antics are being played for laughs and now being attributed to her illness.  

Dan had times of joy and mirth and times when you remember what a great mind he had as a detective before you'd be reminded of his present state of health. It had more subtlety and nuance.

I have to remind myself, though that soap standards are quite different now.

• Members

I don't mind social issues storylines. But for me, personally, as someone who's grandmother had dementia, I'd rather not see any type of this kind of story play out on-screen. I know many feel otherwise. If it's not being done justice then don't do it.

Archived