Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

^ Somehow, I'm not surprised. I wonder how they'll spin that on the next episode of Kelly & Ryan.

Kobe Bryant (THAT Kobe Bryant) won an Oscar, for Best Animated Short. Not everyone has forgotten about HIS, ahem, indiscretion in a Colorado hotel in 2003. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jezebel.com/kobe-bryants-oscar-win-reminds-us-that-time-is-not-up-f-1823506004/amp

Hollyweird still has a long, long way to go:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/394244002

• Members

NYPD have had info on Weinstein for years but his good buddies in the DA's office quashed any attempt to investigate or prosecute. I'll believe they will go to grand jury when I see it, frankly. 

Edited by Cat

• Members

As much as we discuss Hollywood, there is just as urgent a need for reform in the Restaurant industry. 

The Tipping Equation

In fact, there is more because the women working in the restaurant industry dwarfs that of the number working in Hollywood and the harassment toward servers is as insidious and even more pervasive as it is in entertainment because almost all of the women (and some men) facing harassment are disenfranchised and don't have the platform to speak that many actresses have had.

It's a shame that there is so little focus on the Restaurant industry.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Oh, I'm not just talking about the Mario Batalis of the world. 

I'm talking about an industry that sets base pay so low that serves are dependent on tips, which leaves them in a position where they must accept harassment from customers in order to make those much needed tips.

Most restaurants do little to nothing to protect their employees from customer harassment. 

The personal accounts in the article, especially presented in the video offers powerful testimony of what these women and man must endure to make a living.

I don't think that most people are aware of the depth of the problem, I think most people's knowledge is quite superficial, relegated to also-ran soundbytes.  People know much more about what goes on in Hollywood.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I've read a few articles about this over the last year or two.  You can pay minimum wage, but what makes serving worth it is the possibility of big tips, especially from wine.  Every time paying serves minimum wage comes up the Scrooges of the world come out swearing they won't tip. Maybe automatic gratuity would work.  Changing restaurant culture in this country won't be easy, but I hope it happens.