Hollywood Sexual Harrasment/Assault Thread

cct

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Interesting article written by Wesley Morris (who has a pretty good podcast called Still Processing with Jenna Wortham) about the types of 1980s movies and culture (during judge Kavanaugh's heyday) that prized the sexual exploits of young white men at the expense of women.

In ’80s Comedies, Boys Had It Made. Girls Were the Joke.

• Members

I never thought I would say this, but, "You GO, Dr. Craig."

I'm glad Ms. Bartlett brought up the fact that he chose his own career over his daughters' "sexual life and development."  Unfortunately, he's a practicing Catholic; and Catholics' attitude toward unwanted pregnancy has always been, "Don't have sex in the first place."  Which is not only impractical, but absurd.

(Honestly, I've begun questioning whether I made the right choice to join the Catholic Church back in '08.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

I never thought I'd be seeing statements from Bonnie Bartlett. Very powerful. 

Rose McGowan, like Argento, seems deeply disturbed, and Rose seemed to be looking for huge validation and adulation from this movement that was never going to be possible. She wanted it to fix her when she can only fix herself. She needs a lot of help.

• Members

The problems with the image of #MeToo movement is what happens when you choose actresses who have unfortunate personal and career histories, rather than a woman who had been steadily doing the work to build the movement simply because she is black and doesn't look like a cover girl.

• Members

True.  OTOH, every movement needs a "face," someone who is in the public eye on a regular basis, or else the movement stalls.

I'm not saying I agree with that line of thinking.  I'm just offering why you end up with people like McGowan and Argento as the de facto leaders.

• Members

IA.  Making Asia and Rose the faces of #MeToo was problematic for me.  Not that Alyssa is squeaky clean.  For the most part, though, her "legacy" as TV's Samantha Micelli makes for an image that goes down more smoothly for the general public.

• Members

I definitely know that Milano is not squeaky-clean.  She's simply not as messy as Argento and McGowan.  Sometimes that has to be enough.

I'm not even sure who gets to decide who is the public face of the #MeToo movement.  Male journalists?  The Hollywood Foreign Press?  Who?

#MeToo was never conceived to encompass just Hollywood actresses or entertainers.  It is supposed to be for victims of sexual violence from all walks of life.  It was conceived as an organization that is supposed to advocate on behalf of those who have been victimized and silenced and marginalized.

Why does the public face even need to be an actress?