Days of Our Lives General Discussion

• Members

Hi

I'm sorry to be such an enthusiastic poster recently

Please register in order to view this content

But I was just wondering what people's general thoughts are about Days of Our Lives, in particular what your favourite characters, storylines and couples have been over the years.

I really like Sami Brady. Plus I like Sonny, Paul, John and Marlena.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think this is a good thread since many of us do not follow the day-to-day action but aren't allergic to spoilers...

Anyway, the show is honestly more exciting now that Ron's in charge. "Better"? Well, that's subjective. The doppelganger storyline is still silly and another "from the dead" reveal? But whatever gets younger mens shirts off I guess, ey Ron?

• Members

I watched Days during its stunt stories but mainly didn't watch it besides that. I truly started watching it when Chandler Massey took over the role of Will Horton. Once he left I started watching less of Days and found Sonny and Paul rather boring as a couple when they were on.

• Members

That's a shame, I really like Sonny and Paul as a couple, probably more than what I've seen of Will and Sonny. Having said that, I'm enjoying the drama Will's resurrection is bringing.

I'm interested in watching some of Bo and Hope's relationship. I might go back to watch it.

So...which years do fans on here regard as golden eras of Days? I''d be interested to know.

I've been reading up on the history of some characters and it's not the easiest to get your head around, but I think I'm getting there. I just watched some stuff to do with Melissa Horton and Pete Jennings from the 80s.

• Members

Anything involving Julie, Jennifer, and the rest of the Horton's (even Lucas and his boozy ways) is usually pretty fantastic. Love that family. Also, I really like Victor's one-liners and Kate being...Kate. I wasn't watching during the original Bonnie era, but now I wish I did and wish she stuck around. Judi's talents are wasted on Adrienne. 

They were good for their time, but I'd have to say him and Carly were definitely better suited for modern DAYS

• Members

I'd say the 80s was 'the golden years' but Reilly's 90s was also extremely high rated and got me hooked on the show. But they're different eras in many many ways. Some hate Reilly's era and I get it but at least he could write a story with a solid pay-off, it may take years and years but the payoff was often worth it.

• Members

They're awesome in the 80s eps I'm watching. Their chemistry is intense.

I'm liking the character Calliope.

What did people not like about the 90s era? I'm guessing the possession of Marlena didn't go down well with some.

• Members

Reilly, while structuring a soap like classic writers, IMO, could often be a little bizarre. I imagine for viewers who watched in the 60s/70s/80s, it was just a big shift. I imagine someone who went through that could better explain it.

• Members

Actors, writers, producers and directors need to be very careful about what they bring into people's homes.  They need to exercise caution in regards to what they're potentially exposing audiences to in the guise of entertainment.  Because, believe it or not, not every viewer out there is strong enough, either psychologically or spiritually, to handle potentially disturbing images such as someone (even a fictional character) not in the grips of some "Big Bad" like on "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer," for example, but under the control of the devil himself.

There is a reason why I've never watched "The Exorcist;" and there is a reason why I stopped watching DAYS entirely while Marlena was being possessed as well.  As liberal-minded as I am, or think that I am, or HOPE that I am, there are some boundaries even yours truly wouldn't cross.

"Bizarre" doesn't even BEGIN to describe many of James E. Reilly's stories.  Having one character -- a woman, at that -- buried alive, seemingly for weeks, is the epitome of tastelessness -- not to mention, sacrilegious, and dangerous on sooooo many levels.

Yes, Reilly was the last HW who knew how to pay off his stories.  He was also a HW who didn't know how to craft any story without falling back on two-dimensional characterizations or tons of excruciating repetition.  Give the characters some brains, I would say, and remove all the flashbacks, fake-outs, and repetitive dialogue used to pad out scenes, and most of his stories would last two weeks, tops.

Which is not to say that '80's DAYS wasn't dumbed-down, although it was certainly smarter by comparison.  What DAYS had in the supercouple-driven '80's, though, that it has lacked ever since, is heart.  As Michael Logan, of ALL people, once said, no other soap had as big of a heart than DAYS had in the '80's.  You cared about the same things the characters cared about even in the most ridiculous circumstances -- of which, I will admit, DAYS had plenty back then -- and I think that's something even many '60's and '70's DAYS fans would agree with.

• Members

I'm torn on JER/90's DAYS

JER's DAYS I remember watching as a youngin thanks to the babysitter, a lot of his stories REALLY pushed the line of what was acceptable for Daytime (Possession being the biggest offender). As @Khan said above, as a television serial, those in charge REALLY need to be mindful about what they bring into people's homes. Some lines are better left not crossed and Possession was one of them. A lot of that was particularly strong imagery (the church burning). Devil Marlena provided many nightmares for a young Failsafe, but I couldn't stop watching. 

A lot of JER's stuff you could see spilled over into Vince Russo's writing during WWE's Attitude Era. The constant story swerves, the asinine storylines (the non Austin vs McMahon/DX/The Rock stuff), the actual part of the program people came to see being thrown out the window (wrestling/an actual soap opera), stories changing at a backbreaking pace, etc. Russo had his Possession story with late 1998-post WrestleMania 15 Undertaker who became ultra satanic. Taker at this point was speaking in tongues, sacrificing wrestlers, attempting to embalm Stone Cold alive, etc. I could go on, but you get the point. 

Back on point: JER's stuff got me introduced to DAYS and I still watch to this day so that's saying something. However, I'm not going to pretend he didn't have flaws and almost always went TOO far with content.

• Members

I've got some pretty heavy nostalgia blinders for Langan-era (1999-02) Days. That was the era I semi-regularly watched, and more importantly, learned the history of the show. The teen characters drew me in (ditto Passions), although I have the feeling that if I rewatched those episodes they'd likely be the weakest links.

Archived