Overused Plots

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

- Teen pregnancy stories. It's redundant and not every young teen are out here having kids. Many of them have restraint or are practicing safe sex. I said this in another thread a few days ago, that I don't mind it when it is done every now and then, but it is rampant on soaps. I feel like headwriters on soaps need to be forced to watch Degrassi, which I feel is a great show to get stories on young adults. It's always current, on the pulse, and not always centered around some young girl's womb. 

- Long lost kid. Another trope I don't mind when done correctly; however, it has been misused a lot in the past ten years. Most of the time, it doesn't even add up to many of the character's timelines. Ex: Nikki & Paul (YR), John (DAYS), Maggie (DAYS)...

• Members

Exactly I also don't like all these young women not even in their mid 20s yet rushing to be married and start a family with their first real boyfriend. Outside of people involved in the military I don't see that too often in real life. Women have goals to go to school, get a job, get their own and do well for themselves.

I don't think they should copy Degrassi but they do need to consult/observe some real teens. 

• Members

SOD gave it a negative review saying that viewers barely knew Cassandra when she appeared on ABC's AMC in 2008 and that Sal Stowers was a newbie. And how it was a rip-off of Taken.and that it was gritty and icky showing Cassandra being beaten and raped. How it caused an "unnecessary" rift between Angie and Jesse, how,it wasted Zach and how Zach/Lea (Paula Garces' character) were painful to watch

SOD said that Colby was one-dimensional villain playing childish pranks

• Members

It is and I enjoy it. I love how you get the whole feel of high school with this show. Especially, with the recent reboot, which I love. Soaps need to study that show and everything it is doing for teen stories. 

I don't either. I feel like soaps are backwards nowadays. From reading synopsis of soaps from the 70s and 80s, we saw young teen women on these shows be career driven heroines or vixens. Babies were the last thing on their minds. Now, I feel like soaps have reverted back to the 50s when it comes to all women. All they have to offer are being pregnant and constantly crying over men. It's outdated and tacky. 

• Members

Thanks. The only thing I agree with was their assessment of the Zach/Lea pairing. Otherwise, I disagree completely. I think it was a powerful storyline and bravely tackled the topic of abortion in a time when most soaps cowardly shy away from the subject.

• Members

TBH, I thought the human trafficking story should have been told in flashbacks.  Cassandra could have escaped from her captor at the start of AMC 2.0 and returned to Pine Valley, determined to forget her ordeal and move forward.  However, she would have been plagued with nightmares and flashbacks that gradually revealed to the audience the extent of her abduction and torture; and as her behavior grew more and more erratic, her loved ones (and Jesse and Angie, in particular) would begin to suspect she was hiding a very dark and tragic secret from her past.

• Members

The overused plot device I hate the most is The Big Murder Mystery. Every one in town confronts The Villain, and says some form of "I could  kill you". Of course the villain IS killed, all the principals are suspects (with no alibis), the story drags on forever, and then some minor day player ends up as the killer.

As far as the identical twins plot device, I couldn't agree more. Unless the actor/actress is up to the job of creating two distinct characters, this device is doomed to fail. The only people I've seen be successful as identical twins were David Canary (AMC) , Martha Byrne (ATWT) and Julianne Moore (ATWT). 

Archived