Rate your soap(s)

• Members

It's been awhile since we've done one of these. I'm interested to hear people grade their soaps right now.

For me, these are dark times in the soap world. If you ask me why I'm watching, it really comes down to life long habit and attachment to the characters.

Y&R gets a C-. It's managed to hang on to a lot of the core cast and it uses them. It has a few stories that mildly interest me, even if the execution isn't great. Unfortunately, some of the characters are being written completely OOC and the motivations are non existent.  There is a lot of work to be done, but It's not absolutely painful most days.

Days gets an D- Death and rape poorly executed. Some cast members I like (old guard plus Jen Lilley) save it from an F. 

GH is a D+ I still care about some of the characters, but the boredom I feel when I watch this show is off the charts.

B&B No grade.  I was 12 years old when B&B started. I stopped watching about about 6 months ago, so I can't grade it. Maybe I'll watch it again at some point or maybe I'll just embrace my freedom.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of all the stuff Im currently watching (some far behind)

Eastenders (2001)-A+

Shortland Street (2006): B+

Home and Away (2006): B-

Hollyoaks (2006): C

Emmerdale (2006): C-

Days of our Lives (2016): D+

B&B, GH and Y&r are pretty unwatchable for me.

• Members

GH: No longer watch

Y&R: No longer watch

B&B: D   I would've given it an F a few weeks back, but I'm glad they've refocused on Brooke, Bill, etc.  For a soap that's notorious for bouncing back quickly when they're in a slump, this has been a long, disappointing period for them. It's been mostly unwatchable since July, 2015. I'm still not back to watching an entire episode, and haven't done so in months, save for a couple Christmas episodes I think. 

DAYS: D   As @Juliajms said, their longterm cast and a few newer jems (Jen Lilley, Christopher Sean) are their saving grace. Their 50th was action-packed, but overall was disappointing, considering their great history at celebrating milestones and getting all nostalgic. Total disappointment. Their followup so far in the new year has been dreadful. Yes, the car accident was gripping for a couple days, but then the grief buffet for Daniel continued and the show is just dark, uneven, poorly paced, character interactions are sporadic, and the Ciara mess....   I hope their latest renewal means that a year from now, the show will only be taping a month or so in advance of airdate. Here's hoping.... 

• Members

Y&R: No longer watching

GH: No longer watching

B&B: No longer watch

DAYS: No longer watching 

Emmerdale: A++ I strongly suggest people watch this show. Good, classic soap. I shed tears sometimes at how good Emmerdale is. 

Coronation Street: B- Solid. Been enjoying it again since picking it back up but I know it is gonna be must see TV once Kate Oates, who recently served as EP at Emmerdale, is gonna do the show justice when she gets in there. 

Eastenders: C- Meh. Could be better. The Foxes are the only reason I am hanging on to this show at the moment, but with the current firing of the EP, I think the show might get better under a new regime. 

Neighbours: A- Been watching it slowly again (after years) this past week and I am quite impressed. Loving the election story along with a jilted lover of Paul's trying to bulldoze many of the businesses in the Lassiter Complex to add onto Paul's old hotel that she took from him. Lighthearted and full of great eye candy. 

Sucks that international are spinning on all cylinders while US soaps continue to be drab as hell.

• Members

From top to bottom:

Emmerdale (UK)

Coronation Street (UK)

Days of Our Lives (US)

Neighbours (Australia)

Hollyoaks (UK)

EastEnders (UK)

The Bold & The Beautiful (US)

The Young & The Restless (US)

Home & Away (Australia)

General Hospital (US)

So sad how I find US soap terrible since I have discovered UK ones...

Archived