GH Actress' Contract Negotiations Hit Snag; Rival Soap Eyeing to Hire

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Coughing Easton back up probably makes Valentini feel like he "won" against PP taking his precious OLTL fantasies. I think he would have kept Howarth/Easton/Alderson around for all eternity if it had been up to him. 

Budig was Greenlee, so that means she has to be awesome1!1

• Members

RH is wildly inappropriate for Mac on Y&R. Might as well put Rachel Kimsey back into the role. Besides, the show has no time for anyone but the Newmans and Abbotts.

As for GH, no words on their utter disrespect to their vets. More of the same, I suppose. 

• Members

Yes. I understand that people would like to put BH in a "legacy" role, but this is the wrong one in every possible way. BH looks nothing like Mac should look. In fact, BH is anti Mac. Add to that the number of actors who have failed in this role since AshBash and I just can't see hanging that yoke around anyone's neck. I'd rather see her come on as one of Tucker's children or a new role entirely.

• Members

That's exactly right. They're both white and they both have dark brown/black hair. That's where the similarities end! But, most importantly, Herst is the completely opposite type of what Mac should be and is totally the wrong kind of look for it. Such a recast would flop.

• Members

I've seen Herbst play guarded and downbeat and sarcastic a lot over the years, which was a big part of AB's Mac. She may not have the vulnerability of AB's Mac that much these days, but then, that left with AB's first departure. Herbst is more conventionally pretty than AB but I don't think it's that big a leap - just give her some jeans and t-shirts, not a lot of makeup.

I'd rather forget Fluckers ever existed.

With that said, Mac never really worked as a character beyond the first year or two, and the only interesting relationships she had, IMO, are with people who are no longer with us (Kayzer, Jeanne). So I'm fine with leaving her in the past.

• Members

That's the thing -- RH could play a lot of Mac well. I just think Herbst would be the wrong type of pretty. Herbst can be the petty soap bitch. The scheming heroine. The sorority girl. The fun-loving, cool kind. That's what she looks like. She cannot be earthy, almost tomboish but also sweet, vulnerable Mac. They can dress her down, but she'd be bitching and going all diva within weeks. Once again, the character would transform, and therefore fail.  Too bad it would almost look like they dyed Lauren Woodland's hair dark and pretended she could be Mac :lol:

Mac worked for her entire initial three year run until the first recast. That killed it. Real fast. Interesting relationships of Mac's included Kay, Brock, Sharon, Nina, Billy, Raul, JT, Brittany, Rianna, Jill. Most of whom are gone or nonentities. So, yes, she is better left alone, especially since no soap nowadays could handle a character like her, or give her any good stories.

• Members

This is actually one of the reasons I never warmed to Liz, but I felt like Herbst played a lot of vulnerability and softness in the awful "Liz keeps quiet about Jake being Jason" saga. More than I'd expected, anyway. But then, this is Pratt's Y&R, so she'd probably be wearing cheap lingerie and poking at Jack's scrawny tanned ass with a Jabot-branded strap-on.

• Members

this is, imo, the reason why soaps are losing viewership/rating so quickly. Because Soap fans REFUSE to let these characters evolve or grow, like, at all. They're just preserved in amber in fans minds. 

i mean Mac would be in her 30s, now. A mother. Yet peeps STILL refuse to see any room for change. :wacko:

• Members

Huh? You lost me. How does what you highlighted show that we're fans that REFUSE to let characters evolve or grow, like, at all? How does it mean that there's no room for change? Please explain because I have really no idea what you're talking about.

• Members

you posted who/what you think Mac is, evermore and followed up w/ how anything else is not Mac. 

i think that's pretty much down to Y&R's writers and where they want to take characters more than the actors themselves. JH and GT are great as Adam and Phyl, but the way the writers are shoehorning them into stories and certain characterization is the rub for me. 

i personally don't think Mac would work on Y&R currently because she would just be there to pander to Billy da Gawd, and that's tired.:rolleyes: 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived