RUMOR: Days and GH's Fates Revealed? An EP put on notice?

• Members

I agree as well. What I missed the most is that whenever one soap sucked, I could always switch to another network and watch their soap. I was never a one soap or soap network viewer (Mom watched ABC soaps, Grandmother watched the CBS soaps, and I caught on to the NBC soaps due to crushes on actresses). Once they're gone, that's it and soaps aren't replacing soaps either. It's all about lifestyle shows, talk shows, judge shows, and game shows for daytime television. With the "revival" of the soap opera that article says (which has a broad interpretation of what soap is), you would figure that daytime would take it cues from prime time and have two half-hour soaps. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When people talk about how UK soaps should be canceled, the response from those who push for it is always, "Imagine the creativity and freedom in the schedules if they are gone!" 

The US shows just what creativity you can find. A lot of [!@#$%^&*], including a game show seemingly no one watches, a talk show someone got for being the wife of the CEO, and a food show that mostly got notice for about 5 minutes because of that pig Mario Batalli and because they hired Dr. Oz's daughter.

• Members

For me, it isn't enough to keep any show around just for the sake of nostalgia.  Yes, there ARE too many good memories attached to any long-running show to let it just drift away without a second thought; and yes, IS always hope that things can turn around for the better.  But for how long should the hopes and pleasant memories sustain us as well as our shows in the meantime?

We can hope for DAYS or GH or Y&R to stick around for the next 5, 10 or 15 years (or more).  But that hope means nothing if they continue to hang by a proverbial thread, enduring one awful producing and HW'ing regime after another, as ratings and production values continue to dwindle, and TPTB continue to chip away at their foundations in the name of cheap gimmicks and quick fixes.  They become faster and cheaper to produce, thus ensuring stays of execution...but at what cost?  Are the results really worth it?

Make no mistake: I am not praying for the end of any soap (not even B&B).  I want a miracle to happen as much as anybody else.  I want someone who gives a !@#$%^&*] (about some thing other than the bottom line) to say, "Dude.  We gotta spend money to make money here.  And we gotta do whatever it takes to put the right people in charge, even if it means backing the hell off, because these shows are making us look ratchet!".  But I refuse -- I REFUSE -- to lower my standards and overlook or justify substandard storytelling and acting in order to remain engaged as a viewer; and I refuse to applaud a show for skating by and doing the bare minimum to ensure another, eleventh-hour reprieve instead of putting in the real effort and making the tough decisions that are necessary to keep a show not just alive but thriving and vital.

That's what I meant when I said upthread that DAYS doesn't deserve the renewals it keeps receiving from NBC -- because it doesn't.  Not by my estimation, at least.  It doesn't matter (anymore) that the budget is crap, that the production schedule is idiotic, that viewing habits have changed or that attention spans are shorter.  The fact is, DAYS has been half-assing it on all fronts for too damn long, and it needs to stop.  NBC needs to stop encouraging their slackitude as well.  Because if the network really held the interests of fans at heart and not just their ledgers, they would demand better -- not just quicker and cheaper, younger and hipper, but BETTER -- or they would pull the [!@#$%^&*] plug.

And when they DO pull the plug -- and they will, because even this [!@#$%^&*] cannot be sustained forever -- I will be pissed, and I will wax nostalgic along with everyone else.  But I will not feel sadness for the end of DAYS (or the other three soaps) anymore than I did for the end of AMC or GL.   For one, nothing lasts forever, not even a soap opera; and for another, if they had been given every conceivable chance to clean up their act and they STILL couldn't, then they have themselves only to blame.

• Members

^

This summed up perfectly how I feel. 

I (too) feel like my comments earlier were lost in translation and that I wanted soaps to become extinct but I don't. But I don't wanna sit and watch a show tell crap stories, with crap actors, on a shoestring budget. I'd rather the plug be pulled than watch an American institution be shat on thanks to a bunch of incompetent fools. 

I still miss my favorite three soaps (AW, ATWT, GL) immensely but I am glad they were put out of misery before it got even worse. I want the remaining four to bounce back but it ain't gonna happen with the same people being shifted from show to show chipping away at the foundation these shows were built on. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The days of the network caring about their daytime soaps quality is long gone. At this point it's a take it or leave it situation. Soaps will continue if they run under budget year after year until there is nothing left of them. 

Archived