Y&R: October 2015 Discussion thread

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The difference between Sharon and a newer heroine is staying power and fan appreciation. I have no dog in any race because I am no longtime viewer of Y&R and I don't care about their couples, but the fact is everyone knows how popular Sharon and Sharon Case are, and how much of the audience rooting value she has from all those years. The writers know they can put Sharon through anything and people will watch because it's her, and because Case can play it all. I personally think Sharon is fuckin' nuts and needs to be even more medicated than she is, but the fact is Case sells everything she gets 200% no matter the situation and is beloved by the audience because she knows every inch of the character history. For that reason, I am always interested in watching Sharon despite my exasperation with her behavior.

Kelly Sullivan is not untalented, but whenever she's given broad material she goes back to her Broadway roots and goes big and nuts. It happened on GH and it's happened here. I liked her a lot when she came on last fall with darker hair, being quieter, shyer and more mysterious. I think it was a different character for her and for the show, hiding out in that gothic mansion with Justin Hartley. Now that she's blonde again and screaming and crying all the time and thrown into another tired story with Nick, anything differentiating her with Nick's many failed post-Sharon/Phyllis love interests has gone out the window, plus she's shrill and annoying again.

That's the difference between the two. The audience has zero motivation to invest in Sage unless they really, really hate Sharon, because nothing has been built for her character and future beyond whose baby she's having. And really, that's not investing in Sage - that's investing in Anybody But Sharon. I personally don't want Nick and Sharon back together because they're terrible for each other, but this is not an answer or a solution.

• Members

Yes, in a nutshell.  Although I wouldn't blame B'way for Sullivan's tics.  ATWT in the 80s had great talent that came from B'way (Elizabeth Hubbard did B'way way before soaps) and some did both soaps and theater simultaneously (Larry Bryggman) and they lit up the screen (in a good way).  Even when Hubbard went a bit OTT, she performed nowhere nearly as poor as Sullivan when KS goes OTT.    But you're right, when KS was tied to Sally Kellerman and Justin Hartley, Sage was a far more interesting character.  She's become this saucer eyed expression wearing character who is now vapid as hell!  The writers and director need to know the limitations of their talent and adjust accordingly. 

• Members

Getting rid of Sage won't make the writers like Sharon any better. I have no doubt a new character will be brought in.  The fact that Sharon is adored no matter what the writers do to her, makes it very easy for the writers to throw her under the bus because there is little down side.  Remember that old expression you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink? Well you can force the writers to keep Sharon on the show, but you can't force them to write good stories for her.  So go ahead and drive Sage off the show. There are plenty of out of work soap actors out there. I would love to see gorgeous Bree Williamson at Y&R.

• Members

I don't see why people keep associating people wanting better writing for Sharon and wanting Sage gone. It's two different things. I keep saying that most Sharon fans don't even want her with Nick (or any Newman) anymore. They want her far away from that entire clan. 

The mass want Sage gone b/c she's a f-cking bore. She's just like any other boring interloper that has been on this show in awhile. She brings nothing to the table at all. 

• Members

Sharon has a large fanbase who adore her, that's why she is still around.  The character has been around for 21 years and she has done it all.  Many marriages, pregnancies, WTD, dead kids, kidnapped kids, Klepto, BP, served time in prison and more.  That miscarriage should be the last pregnancy for Sharon.  Sharon's baby days should be over.

Archived