B&B July 2015 Discussion Thread

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Was B&B pre-empted today? I just checked my DVR and it was Hope's shoot in Paris. Hard to tell because another site has the recap for today and no mention. It's funny because last night I was thinking, B&B has been lucky in not getting Obummered lately and I'm sure they're counting on some good numbers for fashion show etc.

• Members

I'm watching yesterday's episode online right now. Ugh, Julius, he's like Gerald Davis, Eric Kane, classic user Daddy with a daughter thirsty for his love. Kind of interesting to watch after I just watched Caitlin Jenner on the ESPYS.

Ha, Darla's talking head on Rick's body.

I know it's a classic set, but I think the Forrester foyer/great room needs a makeover. So neutral, boring, and dated.

• Members

It would be interesting to write Julius in a way that we don't know whether he is genuinely struggling to accept Maya or whether he's looking to use her as a cash cow. It reminded me a little of early B&B with Brooke Logan entering the Forrester Mansion for the first time and zeroing in on Ridge. It was written in such a way where you weren't quite sure whether Brooke was looking at Ridge for just his looks or as part of the total package of all the trappings of wealth. It would make Julian a much more interesting character if he started out with some complexity.

As for Zende and his dutiful son declaration-- I can see what B&B is trying to do. It seems as though the writing is setting up some future possibility of a difference of opinion between Zende and Kristen and Tony in some way? Perhaps he goes against their wishes somewhere down the road? I agree that the writing, direction and acting were all awkward in delivery. Instead of making it an issue of gratitude, why not have Zende express his deep love for his parents and the need for him to honor them in his actions and words? Even mention Zende's upbringing in South Africa and how strong the traditions of honoring your parents and your elders runs in the culture?

When you look at old clips of kid Zende, he was a very polite, accomodating child-- it's not inconceivable that he'd carry that into adulthood but at some point the character would and should rebel, even if it is a difference of opinion on some future issue.

I doubt that B&B would put this scene in there if they didn't plan to explore it later on down the road.

• Members

I'll still choose Oliver over Zende, but I'm willing to give them a lot of leeway to figure out the character since he is a legacy (like Aly) that we saw as a child - not some insta-birth. B&B is blessed with 'hidden' kids like RJ, Dino, Jack, Logan (no girls though) waiting in the wings.

I wonder if B&B will have time to rejigger the sequencing - Y&R/B&B usually have decent cliffhangers around Labor Day since they only air Tu-Th because of tennis.

• Members

Exactly - Gen 1: Brooke/Taylor; Gen 2; Hope/Steffy; Gen 3: 2019 - . I'll tell you, it is just bizarre how enjoyable the show has been with Brooke (and I like KKL), but she really is not needed, which is really odd considering the magnitude of Raya. I suppose it similar in the way the show opened up without SF, reducing JMcC (who should just be gone and NOT lead the credits, which was a slap to KKL after SF left); sending RM away, etc. It just blows my mind that a show that could never figure out how to work in more than one or two 'young' actors, changed completely when SC joined. And, yes, Liam was the catalyst for all of this. KM and JMW were not being utilized properly - but mostly props for Brooke (pose, pose) and Ridge, respectively, which was my impression when I'd catch the show off and on back then.

• Members

I love the way The Bold & the Beautiful pulled itself out of the soap cliche doldrums and their usual tricks (Brooke/Taylor fighting over whomever) around 2011 and sped fast-forward to what a modern-day soap should be. B&B used to look the most outdated of all the shows, until they started using the outdoor locations on a regular basis, improved their exterior shots by leaps 'n bounds, switched to HD, and most importantly, effortlessly segued storyline to the next generation.

When you look at the cast of characters, sitting around that big Forrester conference room table, and all but Brooke and NuRidge are roughly 30 or under, and many of the castmembers have only joined in the past 2 years. Yet, it feels exactly like B&B. And it feels fresh.

Granted, I look forward to Thorne returning, and it'd be nice to get Felicia and Kristen in there, but it is nice & refreshing to see something and someone new, yet oddly still feels familiar and like I'm still watching the same show.

• Members

She's real-life trans model Isis King. She was the first trans model to be a contestant on America's Next Top Model. A couple of years later, she appeared on Tyra's talk show where Tyra surprised her with the gift of paying for her sexual reassignment surgery.

Archived