GH: Geary OUT!

• Members

I am sorry to see him go. TG is GH and has been for close to 40 years. He is the face of GH and the first person the world thinks of when it thinks of GH. They have tried over the years many times to find a new leading man, but other than Tristan Rogers all they have come up with is blah actors who foolishly think trying not to act is compelling.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  1. Anthony Geary to leave #GeneralHospital after 37 years: http://ow.ly/MILWF

CEhEFjdWYAA6HCn.jpg
    View photo0 retweets0 favorites
    Retweet
    Favorite
    More

Jesus...

If I was ever walking down the street with my kids and saw this thing coming towards us, I'd tell them that's what a pedo creeper looks like and rush them home.

Why hasn't anyone told him?

• Members

I know and understand your bias. I share it for the most part. But you cant ignore Sonny has been the male lead for nearly 15 years. You don't like him, but an entire generation of viewers see him as the lead. I wish it wasn't so, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Members

The whole Tony Geary leaves after 37 years makes it sound like he was with GH all that time. He wasn't...this is one of my pet peeves. He started playing Luke 37 years ago, but he was off the show for more than just vacations (mid-80s to early 90s and then he was Bill Eckert until he started playing Luke again in 93). Of course, what is funnier is that EW quotes the amount around 800 episodes for Tony on GH, which isn't accurate.

• Members

Very true. He did put in over twenty years, and that, minus long vacations of course, as a leading player, so that is still an achievement. I agree with Mr. Geary. It's time. I remember hating his character during the GH "Glory Days" that I don't think were really all that glorious in retrospect. I believe GH's glory days were actually from 1978 to around late 1981. Thereafter, it turned into a cartoon until around 1993, when HW Claire Labine and EP Wendy Riche were a team. As for Mr. Geary himself, I disliked his character and his acting until he became Bill Eckert in 1991. It wasn't until 1991 I started to really appreciate him as an actor and respected his work on GH. But now, it is time. I think he's wise to get out so he can avoid a similar fate to the vets that were there in his earlier days on the show. I still think what they did to Emily McLaughlin and John Beradino was criminal. No actor who has paid his dues on a soap should be treated like a prop. I have no doubt that that was going to be what Mr. Geary would have had to look forward to. Why not enjoy life instead and reap the fruits of all his hard work? He more than put his time in there.

• Members

I don;t ignore Sonny, but just look at People's 50th anniversary cover or watch Oprah's salute to the soaps. Pop culture at large doesn't see Benard as the face of GH when and if it ever thinks of the show, they think of Luke and Laura, and that is how it will always be.

• Members

He's one of the lucky few who stayed past his prime, yet continuously received frontburner material. I think he, like Susan Flannery of B&B, has been itching to leave for years and finally has made the momentous decision to call it a day. Good for him. He's made plenty of money and can enjoy the high life (no pun intended) in Amsterdam with his significant other.

Just for kicks 'n giggles, if they recasted, who would make a good replacement? I'm just speaking in terms of physical looks & appearances. In no way do I actually think GH would ever recast.

Archived