DAYS: News on another departure...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And that's the thing - without good writing, these vets and their returns mean absolutely nothing. And these aren't even actors who could make bad writing work.

Nichols hasn't been on in 6 years and if his good material was in 2006 then it's been 9 years since he made a worthwhile contribution to the show. If Reckell started phoning it in 2 years before his departure, that means he hasn't contributed for 5 years! Ashford's returns haven't ever worked: Jack Devereaux should have been left in the 90s where he belonged, his 2001 and 2011 returns didn't register a blip in the ratings, neither did his departure.

The last thing I am is an ageist: Jeanne Cooper was one of my favourite performers on Y&R, Lauren Koslow, at 62, is my favourite cast member on DAYS...but they're the kind of vets who have the capability of turning the worst writing into gold. That's not Reckell, Nichols and Ashford, the return of any and all of them will be nothing but a nostalgic wink for some fans.

• Members

I hate to give him any credit, and he's not using her well now, but Carlivati knew what to do with Anna when she came back and they signed her to a contract. They explored Robin's death through her. Then the mystery of the fake Duke, her most important adversary Faison, and finally finding Robin alive. That was two years of solid story for her, plus all her interactions with other characters.

I will be shocked if any DAYS returning vet, or really any on the canvas now gets anything like this. But if they do get a chance to shine, I will celebrate it!

• Members

I'd have to respectfully disagree about Reckell. Sadly, there's only so much they're willing to do with him as Bo, as one-half of DAYS' most memorable supercouples. He'll reunite with Hope and then do some dippity-do B.S. at the cop shop. They won't give him the meaty material at this point, other than a brief reunion with Hope. Maybe at this point, that's all he should be doing, but he was a great contributor who gave it his all, IMO.

And if their reunion is anything like Marlena and John's (are they an official couple again?) Well [!@#$%^&*]. Don't even bother, DAYS.

I'm baffled at DAYS' writing ability. What is it about this show in the past 3-4 years where everything is like, "What was the point of doing that?" I mean, Melanie's return, Serena's existence, Sheryl, Jordan, etc.... baffling.

• Members

They are celebrating 50 years on the air. They should be bringing them back, and then some.

I don't think it's fair to use the ratings argument, the same could be same about almost everyone.

That's highly subjective. Kate/Lauren Koslow has overstayed her welcome with about 10 years now. She's been a one-note cartoon for the last six years.

• Members

RIght now, though, it's what Days needs. It needs a shot of nostalgia. It needs a reason to bring back longtime fans like myself on a regular basis. I left in September 2012 because they had killed off Jack and Peter Reckell was going to get a terrible send-off. I came back part-time last November when Molly returned to the show and only watched her scenes. Quite frankly, I didn't recognize the rest of the show.

The problem is Days tried to overload the audience with too many newbies the audience didn't care about. If they can build new characters off of the vets or tie the new characters in to the old ones it will give the audience some reason to care.

Days is in survival mode. It wasn't going to live to see 51. It's got a fighting chance, even if Dena's writing the show... that's just my two cents.

• Members

I just realized that once she leaves, Brady loses yet ANOTHER love interest. This guy has the worst luck and Im kind of getting sick of the show musical chairs in terms of gfs for him. Who is even left on the show for him? And no I dont want a Nicole redux. I wonder if they will use the baby to bring he and Teresa back together

• Members

I would assume that they'd put him back with Teresa. She's his best pairing in recent years. I do think that DAYS needs to start getting back to their strong suit, which was romantic pairings. These insta-couples are doing this show no justice when DAYS was a super couple generator throughout the 80s and 90s.

• Members

IA and with the drug angle out of the way, I think they could actually work. Theres already alot of built in angst and conflict bc everyone hates them together but theres this child which was brought into their lives under unconventional means to tie them together. She's a Brady and he's a Kiriakis. There is so much potential here. It helps that JL and EM have chemistry. I hope they develop them bc they just keep throwing random women at Brady, hoping one will stick

Archived