Y&R: March 2015 Discussion Thread

• Members

I know, right? Sharon original 'core' was that she was a good person, brought up with good values (remember her mother), but made mistakes (like the now twins' father). But Sharon had a good heart and good intentions, despite the nonsense of the Newman clan. As many may recall, that's why Victor was always her champion. During the past decade, they have taken every 'good' part of Sharon and ripped it to shreds. I'm all for a character 'growing' and getting 'stronger,' but the regime after regime continues to do the opposite. I remember Jeanne once mentioning the 'best' or most professional actors on the show and she mentioned SC - I think that has a lot to do with it - she somehow manages to SELL everything she is given no matter how ridiculous, etc.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nick is, what, over 40? That exchange with Victor was strange. Why should we care about something that apparently happened over 20 years ago to someone we've never seen. She survived. She wasn't forced to dive into the pool. I don't see how this is so damaging to Nick. He owns a bar for crying out loud. It might be slightly scandalous if he were running Newman.

Nick saying that this "ties" him to Sharon forever?! haha. I think that was already the case, seeing how they have chilrenz together...

CP and Tracey Thompson are at the top of the credits now. SA was listed further down but JP wasn't.

• Members

Noah asking Malibu Barbie Cop to marry him, yeah she's totally the one who killed Austin.

This Kyle is such a little punk I'm glad Dylan roughed him up a bit. They have rushed him and Summer way too fast and they don't have much chemistry.

As I've said before I'm digging Dylan and Sharon but this material is so Jason Morgan it hurts. Ha at Faith snitching on Sharon, how og Blabby Abby of her.

Victor turning around in Jack chair was hilarious, I'm still not understanding his plan here but its Pratt so I'm not going to hurt my head trying to.

I liked the scenes of Gabe/Adam telling Chelsea about his relationship with his dad, JH has been great in this role and hopefully tomorrows material with EB delivers.

Snoretoria and Old Man Billy mellow.png

Sage and Nick rolleyes.gif

Overall this show is already in a noticeably bad rut and we're only a few months into Pratt's tenure, hopefully he's not here for much longer.

• Members

I'm usually more tempered with my (sporadic) postings but I'm finding it hard to contain my exasperation with the show, and the suits at Sony and CBS.

I exclude largely Charles Pratt Jr. from this because he has a writing and storytelling style he was specifically and inexplicably hired for. But not completely.

How can a show that is #1 (let's be honest, it's by default now) on the back of a tone, writing style and production style go to so many lengths over a decade (especially in the last 5 years) to distance itself from it?

What little quality the show retained from the previous few regimes has been well and truly been wiped out and I've given up on watching it. This new device of creating a parallel universe of plots when they could have not happened is insulting and dismissive of longer term viewers (or even viewers who existed before January 26th 2015 in the case of Austin). It's appalling.

As for the direction and the production (yes, I mention the background music), it's absolutely dreadful. It's been rejigged again and it's even worse than it was before.

Save for culling the spine of the show, cast wise, Jill Farren Phelps has done EVERY single thing we were warned she would do back in 2012 when she turned up. This is not the Y&R, I mean for goodness sake, when Stefano Di Mera is less of a cartoon character than Victor Newman (and I struggled through Tom Langan's version of Days of Our Lives) you know something needs looking at.

But I don't trust this collection of (weak and ineffective) chimpanzees in suits to do anything before it's way too late to salvage this. And look at how fast the rot has set in.

Whatever the various opinions on Kay Alden and Sally Sussman Morina, they were passed over Charles Pratt Jr. Two women who have history with the show (one of whom was Bill Bell's handpicked successor to carry the show on in his vein).

And even if a change is made (and it WILL happen eventually and the baby would have to go out with the bath water, here's looking at you Jill) do you trust a correct choice to be made? I don't.

They'd probably throw money at Bob Guza, Liza De Cazote, Gary Tomlin Christopher Whitesell, Frank Valentini or Ron Carlivati or any other unsuitable anti-Bell showrunner.

Thank God for Emmerdale.

• Members

I'm not the only one who thinks Sharon is still acting [!@#$%^&*] crazy most of the time, right?

The show is not as offensively bad as Pratt's AMC yet, nor nearly as boring as the prior showrunners. But the fantasy sequences and such are so OTT and goofy, and most of the building new stories that have yet to take fruition seem destined to become ludicrous - unlike the Kelly one, which already has become that (along with Doppelganger Jack or whatever is happening here) with some truly hilariously nutty performances from Cady McClain, who is capable of better. And the serial killer umbrella story is consistently amusing to watch, but so, so silly and inappropriate for this show. Also, they're starting to make Kelly Sullivan play more and more overly broad stuff, which is not her strong suit. She had a good, quieter, wittier dynamic with Justin Hartley early on, and better hair. Now she's going blonde again too, which is gross.

I do still love Gina Tognoni and Peter Bergman together. Sue me.

Archived