The Oscars

Soapsuds

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't watch the Oscars last night, but I DID watch Julianne's win on YouTube (the Reese fan in me would've loved another Oscar for her, though), and Lady Gaga. The Sound of Music's 50th anniversary is this year, which is why the tribute was included. Granted, I've never been a fan of it (give me Mary Poppins for my Julie Andrews fix, thank you), but I'll take it to see more people FINALLY recognize that, yes, behind all the masks and all the gimmicks, Lady Gaga is an incredible singer, not to mention a terrific piano player. Guys, she's been like this all along. It's just that everyone else finally caught on.

Also, this happened.

11021125_10153248929219574_3358666192669

• Members

I finally watched most of the ceremony.

Is it me or was Liam Neeson (or more accurately, whoever scripted his speech) having a pop at comic book movies and sci-fi/fantasy movies? It's funny because I heard complaints everywhere about the Oscars being mean to American Sniper, but that dig at millions of fans seemed to go ignored. Why am I not surprised.

I guess they did Maureen O'Hara and Harry Belafonte a favor, given their age and health, in only showing the short technical ceremony bits, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that they were shunted off to the offcamera dinner, while the main show had nearly 4 hours of, in many cases, huge dead spots.

I didn't see Lizabeth Scott in the memorial tribute either. Did I miss her?

• Members

I don't know if I would say incredible but she was pretty good. There were a couple of notes just flat out beyond her range and some other notes she shortened. Singing these songs are tough because it is being compared to perfection really, but Gaga did a good job and showed that Britney and Madonna aside, some pop singers are actually able to sing. I wonder why they chose her and not Beyonce (who is usually called in for these things).

Anyway, Julie Andrews was incredible, and Gaga is no Julie Andrews.

• Members

Neil should stick to the Tony's. I feel bad for him that he bombed but sometimes you just can't do everything.

Not at all shocked by the ratings drop.

They need to stick with Ellen. She was perfection as host. I couldn't believe they didn't ask her back this year but I do understand why Neil was asked. I thought he could be on par with her but nope.

• Members

Ellen does need to come back but the Oscars also need to trim down on their telecast. Two hours is enough for the average person. Stick to the main awards on the main show and do a technical show for the others. People only care to watch for the main four acting awards, the memoriam segment, and best director, screenplay, song, film, and animated film. That's it.

• Members

The Oscars have always run too long and still kept viewers. I think they could be cut down, but I feel like the main problem is lack of identity and phoniness and condescension. They bungled everything - literally everything - in the runup to the Oscars this year. A lot of people said they were not going to watch, and it looks like many of them stuck to their word.

• Members

IMO, the host of the Academy (or any) Awards should do just that: host. The awards themselves are the event and the guests of honor. There isn't any purpose in making them more attractive to the folks at home with dumb recurring jokes and "comedy" sketches.

Archived