The Grammys Thread

Soapsuds

• Members

It's kind of great Beck won, as it would've been entirely predictable to go the Beyonce route. Sometimes these surprises are nice. Also, you could tell Beyonce expected to win, and I was kind of glad when she was shut down...

The Grammy's shouldn't always be about commercial success or pop cultural impact, that's not what they were created for. If you look at a lot of the Album of the Year winners, not all these albums were necessarily "big" albums.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not understanding what you mean by this, if it's in regards to the Selma kerfuffle. Basically John Legend claimed that Beyoncé approached him with the request and he claims he wasn't in a position to say no. It just seems weird to me and I mentioned this because of that. Perhaps if John and Common didn't want that intro attached, they either say no or take a position and stand up for their decisions. Beyoncé, rightly or wrongly, is the one taking the most flak for it. For what it's worth, Ledisi, who admitted she didn't understand it, took the high road.

There was a time when the Grammys would take an actual risk and give a spotlight to a relatively lesser known artist and sometimes, it would boost a career. Esperanza Spaulding, (whose music I was familiar with before her Grammys performance but others weren't) a few years back is one example.

Art itself is subjective, but it's unrealistic to say that because it's subjective that one cannot have or express an opinion or that art isn't important a passionate response. That would be the exact opposite of what most artist aim to do with their work.

• Members

Ledisi handled it class, but I would've showed the f*ck out.

Bey fans can get mad, but I think it was low [if true] that Beyonce interjected or forced her way into singing that song. I like Bey but she could've easily brought Ledisi out to sing alongside her. Or she could've came out and sung alongside Ledisi. Either way, Ledisi should've been on stage seeing as she sung the song in the movie. The whole purpose of the performance was to promote the anniversary of the march in Selma and the movie itself.

That's my one gripe with Beyonce that I've always had. She never puts other artists [preferably from R&B artists] on the map. Whitney did. Mariah did. Patti did. Diana did. Even shady Aretha did. Beyonce needs to start reaching across the aisle and helping other artists as she has the power to do so. I wanna see Chrisette, Janelle, Lalah, Ledisi, Jazmine, etc. all get shine but they can't in an industry that only allows two black women to shine [i.e. Bey and RiRi].

Not saying it's their obligation but I do wish that Bey and Ri would reach across the aisle and help their fellow R&B sisters get shine seeing as this is a genre that put them on the map.

Archived