HBO to offer stand-alone streaming service

YRBB

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My guess is that HBO took a good look at the projections of where TV/broadcast/cable are going to be in 5 years and got very realistic about their prospects if they fail to adapt.

I guess this is geared toward cord cutters like myself (lol).

As long as HBO continues to build quality original series and documentaries, I could see this exploit doing well for them.

• Members

Hell yeah! I don't have HBO and tried to so I could watch GOT. I have the wrong boxes, so I could not get the channel unless new boxes were installed. I have too much tennis and old movies saved to get rid of the boxes. This is a huge plus and I would subscribe! Netflix is not as current as HBO would be.

• Members

I'm thinking that this is something of an investment for HBO. Something tells me they don't expect enormous profits from the outset. I think this is a long term goal because HBO is being realistic about where they see TV going in the long term.

They also have to beef up their programming of original series to entice new people-- the way they had back in the days of SATC and the Sopranos because Girls ain't going to do it!

• Members

CBS is also offering a Stand Alone service ('...oh the times they are a changin').

I must admit though, I don't get CBS' reasons. I have a digital antenna, I don't intend to pay for network if an antenna is available.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cbs-offer-stand-alone-subscription-130026588.html

Archived