• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am up all night with work again and I hate myself and my raw throat. I am bored to tears, so here - have some of Joel Bocko's wonderful video series analyzing Twin Peaks from top to bottom.

There is much more - 11 videos so far - at the video link.

Some of the insights I am familiar with - I remember first hearing about Otto Preminger's classic Laura, or Hitchcock's Vertigo, from one of the TP promotional tie-in books written by some television writer during the hiatus between Seasons 1 and 2, back when people were still theorizing that Maddy was actually Laura, a la those films (and the show is full of very deliberate references to both). That said, it's nice to see it all laid out so well and so expertly, with supporting footage. I personally don't agree with everything he has to say about the show, particularly re: some of Season 2 with the non-Lynch directors and the Audrey at One Eyed Jack's saga, which I think works, the run-up to the killer's reveal and Episode 16. But I do think he makes wonderful points, and all the cultural layering featuring Lynch and Frost's past work in television and film (with footage from Hill Street Blues, etc.) is wonderful. Just great work, a very, very rich audiovisual essay that helped me rediscover the show as I began rewatching it from the start for the first time in a number of years.

This series is ongoing (it has just hit the post-Laura episodes), and will continue to be updated.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The National Enquirer - hahahaha - is apparently alleging Lara Flynn Boyle is "frantic" about trying to get onto the new show but has heard nothing. I'd quote or link it but their site is an absolute debacle and I do not recommend going to it. Supposedly a "close friend" of hers says Boyle is beside herself since - this is its wording - 'friends' MacLachlan and Sherilyn Fenn have been contacted, but not her. Another "source" seems to think Lynch and Frost will call her eventually.

As always, this is the National Enquirer.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I wonder if there's any truth to it. I do feel bad for her in a way, she is definitely mentally ill.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/TwinPeaksArchve/status/529686091599605760

I wonder if this is confirmation Wendy Robie (Nadine) will be back, Twin Peaks Archive is very reliable and hasn't trolled anyone on cast member involvement yet.

Edited by alexisfan07

• Members

Yes, please!

Back in the day I thought the Enquirer was pretty well-insulated from libel on celeb gossip (as opposed to their stories about UFOs or Bat Baby) by virtue of a lot of their [!@#$%^&*] being true, but that may have changed.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I tend to wonder if she and Sherilyn Fenn are "friends," considering that Fenn doesn't hesitate to blame LFB for much of the season 2 perils.

TNE got a lot of praise for its crime reporting, but I think their celebrity reporting tended to be on the vague side, as with most tabloid. But who knows.

Madchen Amick won't be pulling double duty, as her Lifetime show was canceled.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/04/witches-east-end-canceled/

• Members

Sheryl Lee is profiled for what seems like a slightly tawdry UK paper about her blood disease which she says wrecked her career. (She does still work quite a bit, in fairness, but as she says, many indies, even stuff like her new acclaimed Gregg Araki movie, pay nothing, something I know all too well from my work.)

The article claims she has not been asked back yet (though it does not quote her on it), but I really, really, really doubt she will not be there.

Edited by Vee