• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Do you twin peaks should.have been conceived initially as a limited series ? Once the Laura Palmer mystery was resolved..the show should have ended?

Rewatching season 2...it seemed like once Leland was caught.and died...the show really struggled to go on..despite the last few episodes being.interesting with the Windom Earle story.

• Members

No, not really. I think the show has a struggling middle period (episodes 17-23 or so) for a lot of reasons - part of it was their being forced to reveal Laura's killer early, part of it was Lynch and Frost being somewhat disengaged and on other projects for part of the year, part of it was the forced rewrite of several key storylines (Cooper/Audrey, etc.). But I think it comes back strong in the last 5-6 episodes and I think that's the general consensus.

The truth is there was never anything like TP before, and ABC was very uncomfortable with it. They moved it around the schedule constantly, took it off for months at a time and killed the golden goose. Lots of big shows today have sophomore slumps, burn off after one season or two; very few maintain the standard of quality TP did even in its worst episodes - there's a lot for me to like even in that middle stretch - and very few come back as strong and as quickly as TP did in the tail end of the second season despite all its obstacles. Its numbers were also still vastly superior to most ratings today.

• Members

Vague but astonishing if true - some website called "Decider" is reporting that Joan Chen said (in the press tour for her new Netflix series, Marco Polo) there may be a chance for her to return to TP:

She could just be referring to fans asking questions - I half-suspect it's that - but who knows. I would be pretty floored if she re-appeared, but Josie's fate (and the murky stories about the material cut from the finale, and future films involving the actress) has always been one of the stand-out Lynchian moments of the tough middle section of Season 2 for me. I think it redeems a lot of her very convoluted, not always well-executed storyline.

• Members

Since they've only just begun assembling the cast and crew, there's really very little they can put up now. I'm just happy to see it. I don't anticipate them filming until spring at the earliest. Or, hell, if they go back to Washington State to film on-location again (like the pilot and large portions of FWWM), they may shoot in winter just as they did then. A large portion of exterior location filming for the series proper was concerned with making those California locations look like they were still in Washington in the winter, but I imagine they can now afford to shoot it all in WA if they so choose.

Edited by Vee

• Members

He's certainly livened up the show. His work reminds me a lot of what we might have gotten from the evil Cooper. That show's gone from aggressively mediocre to silly but fun and watchable for me over the last year, and it still has Clark Gregg and Ming-Na who are great, but I am much more looking forward to the Agent Carter miniseries that starts next month with Hayley Atwell and is looking great.

• Members

I wanted to post the latest parts of Joel Bocko's wonderful video essay on the entire show and phenomenon of Twin Peaks. These portions cover the mid-Season 2 doldrums post-Laura Palmer, and the third part deals specifically in the winter hiatus in which the show was nearly cancelled outright after Episode 23. Fans revolted, David Lynch returned from his time away and took to David Letterman to ask people to write Bob Iger, and the show got its reprieve to come back stronger. Included is rare archival footage, some of which is available - TP on Phil Donahue, etc. - and others I haven't seen in years, like the great "back to Thursdays" promo where Cooper wakes up from a bad dream about their recent timeslot ("Saturdays at 9, that is a bad dream!" Catherine Martell agrees, while the Man from Another Place capers in the foreground). Connie Chung also assures people she does not know who killed Laura Palmer.

I don't totally agree with all of Bocko's analysis re: the Season 2 bad period (for example, I have more time for Bobby Briggs in the Horne circle than he does) but mostly I think he's very much on the mark.

Leo, you're free to go!

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A man who I have never seen was trying to break into my room. He kept calling my name and said that he wanted me. He then screamed, and after a moment it turned into a kind of roar as if he were some kind of animal. I told Mom about it and she said that she knew about "him," and that she has the same dream, and that I must never let the man into my room.