The Young and the Restless SEPTEMBER 2014 Discussion

• Members

Lillie Belle and Walter Barber are alive. Victoria Rowell mentioned that she got Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek to become a recast of Lillie Belle, but the show had no interest in bringing the character back. Personally, I think the loss of Mamie was just as deadly to the Barber-Winters as losing John was to the Abbott's. It makes me feel so uncomfortable when I see episodes from 00-04 with Mamie because it pissed me off that she never got a proper exit. She shouldn't have been written off, but certainly deserved a proper exit. One last showdown with Jill, let her help her nieces out one last time, give Lily some advice then have a romantic heart to heart with John before heading out of town. I would've been satisfied with that, but instead we got "Oh Mamie is on a cruise." She should've also been at John's funeral, not Dina's evil ass.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've noticed that too. I mean, Stitch and Kelly are on practically everyday. Looks like The Michaelsens have been knocked out the box. Not that we're given any big SLs lately, but you can tell by them practically being invisible they may be on the way out. Sad.

I'll admit it was great to see Malcolm's return home. It reminded me of what I loved about Y&R when the material was character driven, and all around entertaining. Loved seeing Malcolm keep it real with big bro, Neil. Those Flashback scenes were also a nice plus. Shemar and KSJ really brought it, and I hope to see Malcolm pop up occasionally to see the family.

• Members

Besides Shemar's recently returned Malcolm the number of Barber family members who have been missing for years is huge (on Y&R there's Walter, Lillie Belle, Mamie, Liv, & Nate & on B&B there's Justin, Marcus, Donna, Dayzee, Rosie & Amber). If one also adds in Devon's non-Barber or Winters Hamilton family members (Yolanda, Ana, Tucker, Virginia, Tyra) or Neil & Malcolm's relatives (Karen, Moses, Sofia) the bias becomes even more prevalent.

That's NINETEEN characters (most of color) on TWO shows (before one gets to casting the Winters parents) that could be utilized to help Krstoff from having to carry the entire Barber Winters story but Y&R would rather create whole new families around useless newbies like Chelsea, Kelly, Dylan & Stitch.

• Members

Shemar's beautiful ass was the best part of that lame ass show! KSJ, no Emmy is coming your way. Stop it.

So many missteps with the return. But what really got me is that they tried to wipe away Eddie Winslow's Malcolm and show animosity over Sophia all in the same scene? WTF does that? Malcolm tells Lily, she's grown up into a beautiful young woman - implying that it has been a very long time since Malcolm had seen Lily. Idiots, she was married with children the last time the character was in town. Then he turns around and they discuss Neil's betrayal with Sophia. It was all way too ridiculous! Eddie Winslow was a very bad recast, but it has not been 10+ years since Malcolm has been in town. Hello! Moses!!!!!

Then you have Dixie Cooney and Stench, 2 newbies, sitting there with their mother, another newbie for the entire show?! WTF?! MB is pretty good though. Cady stinks to high heaven!

I just don't need to see drunk Nikki anymore. I really don't. Thank goodness I don't watch on a regular basis anymore. I would not be able to take this! Victor, throw Paul's ass out of your house!

Dylan and Avery

• Members

^

This.

All that you've stated is what is wrong with Y&R and soaps in general. It's like TPTB like the play on the audience's intelligence and I am not having it. I like Neil/Malcolm's scenes as it showed their relationship over the years, but there were so many holes in the dialogue, you'd think it was Swiss cheese. I [too] did a major side eye when Malcolm said that Lily was so big. Uh ... you've only been gone for about a good 3-4 years. It ain't been that long. And if I am not mistaken, Neil and Malcolm [Eddie Winslow version] made up before he left town. So I didn't understand the need for awkwardness and anger towards each other.

Moving onto Kelly & Stitch--stop trying to make a square peg fit into the hole, Y&R. It's not going to work. Ever. Kelly only had potential when CW was playing her and there was a hint she was about to become a bitch. Now she's unbearable to watch. Same with Stitch. He had potential early on with Sharon AND Ashley, but once they slapped him with the human succubus [aka Snorboria], he lost all potential. It also doesn't help that we spent almost a year on a secret that didn't amount to sh*t. He killed his father. So what! :rolleyes:

If they wanted Sean Carrigan to work--for the audience to truly care for him, they should've done the sensible and just made him f*cking Chuckie Roulland Foster. That should've been his secret, along with him having done something heinous like accidentally killing Kelly's son, resulting in a malpractice suit, which later led to Kelly & Stitch's marriages to crumble. That would've attained my attention. Stitch would've had a ready made family in Jill & Billy, which would've made the Victoria/Billy/Stitch triangle a bit more interesting. And having had Kelly screw her son, thus ruining her marriage, and dangle a secret over Stitch, could've brought back old-school, bitchy Jill, who does not approve of Kelly screwing with her family.

Not the crap on TV now. I could care less about the Russell clan. Especially, their mother, Maureen.

And Nikki, I can't say this enough but I want her ass to drop dead from cirrhosis. If some hammy ass old goat is going to drive her to the bottle then drop dead.

This cult story is another story that could've been interesting and easily wrote itself had these writers read the canon of the show and had a fu*king brain.

• Members

Cult stories never work for long.

MBB is great addition and more interesting than Kelly or Stitch. I really could see Nikki and MBB having a drunk affair. Victor would turn any woman into a lesbian! He's just cranky and gross these days.

KSJ is phoning in his performance. I know the writing is lackluster but ever since his character went blind, the actor has just been abysmal.

Why in the world would they throw in all those fabulous brotherly flashbacks to highlight how rotten the current scenes are between these two characters? Even Minardi Slater/Esser and McDonald couldn't save the material.

• Members

Honestly, wouldn't be surprised if she was guilty of both, killing her husband, and Deliah. She seems to have a fondness for drinking, and Ben likes to be mom's protector. It'll be interesting to know she's actually the one behind her ex's death. That might be why Kelly is so bitter, b/c she knows the truth.

Archived