Joan rivers in critical condition

alphanguy74

• Members

She went into cardiac arrest during a threat procedure on her vocal chords yesterday, and was rushed to Mt. Sinai, where this morning, she is reported to be in critical, but stable condition. The doctors have her in a drug induced coma.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08/28/cbs-2-sources-joan-rivers-rushed-to-hospital-after-suffering-cardiac-arrest/

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

She was having this procedure done in a private clinic that was down the street from the hospital, but things like this is why I reccommend to all my friends and family that if you have an outpatient type procedure done, always use a doctor that uses the hospital facilities, because if something goes wrong, you are already there. Hope she gets back on her feet soon. The procedure doesn't surprise me at all, since her voice has been very raspy and weak in the past year.

• Members
Joan Rivers is on life support ... and sources close to the legendary comedian tell TMZ she is completely reliant on machines to stay alive.
According to our sources, the family will have to decide in the next couple of days whether to keep the 81-year-old on life support. We're told the family remains hopeful that if they do decide to turn off the machines, she will make a turn for the better and fight through it.
As TMZ first reported, Rivers was rushed to the hospital after she stopped breathing during throat surgery on Thursday.

• Members

I pray for Joan and I pray for her beloved Melissa and Cooper.

If Joan can't come back from this 100% I am quite sure she'd rather check out. Whatever happens, I am confident the decision will be Joan's...people really underestimate how present a person can be in various stages of coma, cardiac arrest and the like.

• Members

I'm wondering how common it is to have complications like this with a procedure as simple as an endoscopy? At least around here... they don't put you under general anesthesia, which carries more risk... they just give you demerol and versed and your'e in that "twilight" place when they do it. It just might be a thing due to her age. Putting a person in a coma after Coronary arrest is not unusual, my brother was in a drug induced coma for 10 days, and has made a complete recovery. But he's also 53. So, here's hoping she can battle back, I wrote a message on her facebook page, "Ok, you old bitch! It's time to fight! We all love you and know you can beat this."

• Members

Was this an endoscopy or was this a further procedure?

I don't want to even think of the next steps or what her family must be going through. It's tough to imagine a world without Joan Rivers. Even as times change, often not for the better, she's there. You may not agree with everything she says, but boy do you stop and listen.

• Members

Wow.

Well I hope she'll pull through.

If not then at least she can see her husband again. I know she'll be happy about that.

I wanted to post this. One of my favorite scenes in Muppets Take Manhattan. The "feud" between Miss Piggy and Joan (which they kept up for years, although they "made up" on QVC earlier this year) has been great fun for a long time.

• Members

But you never hear of this kind of thing happening with an endoscopy, it's just bizarre. I don't know if it's technically considered surgery, but I never considered it such, because they don't cut anything (I always refer to it as a procedure), they just put a tube down to look around, in this case, since it was her vocal chords, they would have went through her nose. I wonder if she had some kind of reaction to the sedative? When I go in for colonoscopy, etc.. they always ask about what drug youv'e been administered in the past, and if it worked well for you, etc. your'e right, I don't feel clinics are the right place for such things, if there's trouble, you want to be IN the hospital. It's like women giving birth with midwives... too risky in this day and age.

Archived