"In the Heat of the Night" Reboot?

Khan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
For the most part, episodes were self-contained, the occasional two-parter notwithstanding. There were some recurring story threads, though, such as town council member (and notorious bigot) Holly Colmer's longstanding feud with Sheriff Gillespie (Carroll O'Connor) and the rest of the Sparta police force; Gillespie's temporary guardianship over a teenaged boy whose family came from "the Bottoms" and who lost both his mother (to cancer) and his brothers (one was a drug dealer and addict, I think, who shot the other one, who was college-bound and just trying to protect his family); and ultimately, Gillespie's taboo romance with (and eventual marriage to) Black councilwoman Harriet DeLong (Denise Nicholas), which raised more than several eyebrows and caused friction between her and her son, Eugene Glendon.

And then, about every other episode, Althea Tibbs (Anne Marie Johnson) would get pissed at her husband, Virgil (Howard E. Rollins, Jr.), either because he was becoming too involved in his cases and/or he was exposing their twins to a life of violence, or because he wasn't getting involved ENOUGH when it came to her latest charity case, some poor but promising student at the high school, where she worked as a guidance counselor, whose home life was the pits (abusive parents, usually, either drunk or high on crack) and who you just knew was going to wind up dead by the end of the episode.

• Members

Are you talking about the episode where Bubba tried and failed to get it going with Kathleen Wurty, the one lousy c**t who wasn't turned on by him and had the ne'er-do-well brother that left the pizza delivery girl a dollar tip?

• Members

This show was one of those shows that was just engrained in my childhood because so many people in my family and neighborhood watched it religiously. "Inna Heeda Da Nite" goes into the same class as "Metlock," "Murda Sheroe," and "Wawkuh." Carroll O'Connor was more known as Gillespie than he was as Archie to us.

Has Annemarie Johnson ever played a character who wasn't an annoying goober?

Sweet was a nice lil piece back then, too.

And that theme song! For years that theme song was the last thing I heard every morning before going out to catch the bus.

• Members

Yeah, but it's really not the same as catching the reruns on WGN America or some local station that has, like, no budget but a seemingly endless supply of Jack Hanna shows. Sure, the master tapes are shot to hell, and edited to the point of total incoherence, but it's really like being back home, you know?

Archived