DAYS: August 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ha. Well SC is more than a capable actor and has proved it over the years - the problem lies with the writers and making Daniel just awful. Anyone who watched SC on ATWT knows he is capable of drama, comedy, being a romantic lead and hot love scenes WITH THE RIGHT woman. Plus if SC is doing any servicing - I doubt he's the one kneeling....

• Members

Agreed. However, I do think the writing and pairing have made Daniel unlikable, while SC is a very likable guy. This Kristen thing is a perfect example. I HATE Daniel after what he's done to Kristen. Seriously, he could've escaped, but instead he beats up on a woman? That could've been any male character with the same lines and action and I'd feel the same way. I just don't get it. If they thought Daniel catching Kristen and bringing her to "justice" was going to win people over, TPTB couldn't be more wrong since most fans LIKE Kristen!

• Members

The Daniel quandary is just something I can't understand in any capacity, he is universally reviled by pretty much all of Days fans and yet he continues to be heavily featured and deeply enmeshed within this show to a prolific level. It's gotten so bad that he is clearly the heir apparent to inherit the show once JS and AS depart -- just why? It can't just be because he had a few stints on a handful of Primetime shows for a couple of years. How has this happened? Do Corday and TS really believe he is a major draw for viewers?

Can anyone remember a time in which a character with literally zero fan support was this important and central to Days?

• Members

No, because even BELLE EFFING BLACK seemed to have fans even as she was shoved down our throats day in and day out. I thought I couldn't hate someone as much as I hated her while every single person in town had to make sure she was okay whenever anything happened to anyone else. "Oh no, Abe was shot and killed! But how does this make you feel, Belle?"

• Members

Daniel is obviously a horrible, miscarriage of a character. But the way he's written into the show is not at all different from the show's portrayal of Belle. Literally EVERYTHING was about Belle all the time.

Things have gotten bleak since in other stories, but let's not forget about that endless Belle/Shawn/Phillip/Mimi/Rex/Jan storyline that would. not. end.

• Members

I get the Belle comparison - hated the show back then.

Mondays' episode was boring - loved Sami spilling the beans (although I think I had seen this already?) and felt really sorry for Theresa the way Brady tossed her to the kerb (although she deserved it, Brady doesn't know that!).

Eric Martsolf is an odd nut to crack - sometimes he puts so much effort and displays genuine talent in his scenes. Other times he is Drake Hogestyn Junior. He eas particularly bad on Monday looking at his father's picture.

• Members

Tuesday' episode: Flashbacks taking us on the special coma journey that is Rafe and Jordan's relationship - what fresh hell is this?

Adrienne and Sami were the highlight - I really like how Sami was mindfucking Adrienne there for a minute.

Victor was a treat as always, but the rest was filler or crap.

• Members

Wednesday's episode: First decent episode of the week, great script by Carolyn Culliton.

The Rafe/Sami scenes were brilliant since I loathed them as a couple. I guess I can handle them now since time is running out. They brilliantly captured the essence of Sami - that she is incapable of true love because she is too self-absorbed, insecure as a person and too full of damaging self-pride. That is the same reason why basing a show around her, her magical hoohah and the revolving circus of Austin, Lucas, Brandon, EJ and Rafe made the show so hollow under JER2, Sheffer, Higley and MarDar - there is nothing to root for there when the heroine is anything but. Whatever Tomsell's flaws are, they have recalibrated Sami to the Sami that I loved in the 90s, but more grown up thanks to life's experiences. For the first time since about 2002, I actually like Sami the character and will miss AS. Crazy words I never thought I would write.

Galen Gering was actually good in those scenes, but sarcastic Rafe is actually something he has always excelled at.

Kate/Jordan having it out were great too. EJ/Victor could have been more if James Scott wasn't phoning it in at this point.

Ben/Abby zzzzzz

• Members

Thursday's episode: Kate as always is fantastic, as everybody upthread mentioned. She handled Sami and Ej like the pro she is - delicious stuff.

As apathetic as I am about Jordan/Rafe/Abby/Ben, I can appreciate that those were good scenes between all the characters. I particularly liked that Abby owned her affair when Ben was trashing Kate. I also thought the Jordan and Rafe sitdown talk was good - calling him naive and explaining why was nicely done. It's a pity that all this really good dialogue is being wasted on these boring people.

Eric needs to get laid. It's not just the wet dreams and fantasies, it's the general crankiness.

• Members

Friday's episode: While at least Eric knows he is a dickhead. I'm glad the hypocrisy is acknowledged as irrational - at least that is human.

Nicole looks much better lately, but she should grow her hair longer like Cheap said - short hair makes her look older and harder now.

The Kristen and Daniel scenes were better today, but still this is so wrong.

TNpZx5X.jpg

Archived