ALL: If only they'd done it this way...

• Members

Think back to all the stories, couples, characters, etc. that you've really disliked or just flat out hated over the years. The ends may not have been inherently loathsome, but the means by which TPTB got there either made you disinterested in the story or tainted what could have been something good. How do you think they should have fixed it?

My main two, which will always be my main two forever and ever:

ALL MY CHILDREN

The Unabortion

I I LOVED the idea of a young Kane man. I loved Josh, I loved Colin Egglesfield, and I loved what the character could have brought, long-term, to the show (let's forget that there really wasn't a long-term by that point). The problem? HE WAS THE CHILD THAT ERICA THOUGHT SHE'D ABORTED!!! There's no need to get into how screwed up the whole story was, but for me, the #1 thing that ticked me off is that we were robbed of a genuinely good story development for Erica and the others. There were tons of roads that TPTB could have taken. Josh could have been a son of Eric's. GREG could have been Eric's son. Greg could have been Mona's son. Greg could have been Mona's younger brother. Josh could have been a cousin on either side. Josh could have been MARK's long-lost son, raised by Greg Madden (not knowing the kid wasn't his), and we could have had MLM back for a year to set up the story (or, ideally, back for good). All of these options would have generated story for Erica the same way the unabortion did, but instead of misusing history, they would have been adding to it. But, instead, they went with one of the most outlandish, attention-grabbing, embarrassing stories in daytime history.

AS THE WORLD TURNS

Luke & Noah

All right. I loved Luke during VH's first year-and-a-half of playing him. I loved the character and followed him faithfully as he dealt with alcoholism and his parents' drama. I loved watching him become acquainted with his feelings for Kevin, leading to his coming out. I loved him as a friend and confidante of the other teens. I was more than ready for him to get a love story of his own. Then it happened, and I just could not deal. The story was rushed, and it was just hard to believe that two characters who'd just met each other and weren't really friends could suddenly fall so deeply in love with each other. Making it even harder to believe was Jake Silbermann's subpar acting. The show went from 0 to 60 in a matter of a month or so, and Luke and Noah were crowned daytime's first gay supercouple just because. What could they have done instead? First, they should have gone head-first into a full-blown triangle with Luke, Noah, and Maddie. Noah should have been established as bisexual early on (not in a "storyline," but just in a matter of conversation). Maddie's cool with it, but it's clear she's gonna need some time to understand it. Meanwhile, Luke and Noah become friends and after a few months, they begin an affair, and the story goes from there. In the end, Noah, as written, should have never ended up with Luke, because he was never fully comfortable with his own sexuality.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They should have made Kevin bi at least and have him realized he had feelings for Luke. He could have driven a wedge between Luke and Noah...cause you know Luke really wanted Kevin. A Kevin and Luke pairing would have been awesome since Kevin was all over the place..not squeaky clean..but of course the writers and EP blew it. I liked Maddie but she was just too boring for words at times.

• Members

Days of our Lives:

When Missy Reeves was leaving in 2006 they fired Matt Ashford again. KC just couldn't conceive of Jack being interesting without Jennifer. He even got rid of him just as Steve and Kayla were returning and the story clearly begged for his presence. There was a huge story there. The fans were actually getting excited about seeing Jack without Jennifer, and all the stories that might involve. But KC just couldn't fathom it. He had bought into the rewritten history that Jack Deveraux was just that guy Jennifer Horton married.

I do realize it was a difficult situation, since it would not have been believable or desirable to have Jennifer leave with Frankie. Jennifer, at least initially, had to reunite with Jack.

If only they had tied Jen to a radiator in the Gaza Strip.

• Members

YES to all of this. I never understood why the Kane family was winnowed down to just Mona, Erica, and Erica's children. Why did Mona not have an extended family? We only ever saw Eric's extended family in the form of other children.

If they just HAD to do a weird retcon to make Josh Erica's son, he could have been the result of a stolen egg story (still weird and somewhat sci-fi but less than an un-abortion), he could have been Kendall's twin stolen at birth with Erica and Mona never knowing there'd been a second baby, he could have been Erica's son with Phil Brent and she never really miscarried but her baby was stolen while she was locked up in a psych ward (still a retcon that doesn't really fit the time SL was on maternity leave, but still less offensive than the un-abortion), or if they wanted to mess with the time SL was off-camera, they could have either claimed that Erica was pregnant by Tom when she left town in late 1979/early 1980 (when SL was on maternity leave) and that she went into premature labor while out of town and was told the baby died but really Greg took him.

Or if they were going to go that route, they could have pretended that Erica was really gone a year or so circa 1980 and that she met someone in California and got knocked up by that person and gave the baby up for adoption because she couldn't go back to Pine Valley with an illegitimate child in tow, not when Tom wanted out of their marriage because she wouldn't have a baby with him. The detail that makes me think they could have pulled this last option off: when Erica left PV for SL's maternity leave in 1979/1980, Erica went to LA to attempt to make it as an actress but ended up staying in Phoenix at a fat farm/health spa... and of course, Phoenix is where it was later revealed that Erica went to hide out and have Kendall. So if some 10 years after Kendall was born, Erica found herself pregnant again but was too far along for an abortion, Phoenix might be where she'd go to hide the pregnancy and give birth in secret. In that situation, Josh could have been adopted, or Erica could have been told it was a stillbirth and the baby stolen by Greg, who was a doctor there. Anyone could have been Josh's father! They could have introduced a new character as her past secret fling and used him to break up Erica and Jack's marriage instead of relying on this stupid idea that the existence of a shared biological child would somehow make Erica and Jeff forget how woefully mismatched they were and how miserable they made each other during their brief marriage.

• Members

Agree 100% or they should have just had sex a few times during one of Kevin's returns

Also I liked Luke & Reid and thought that relationship was well done

Now the heart to Chris, if someone had to die I would have chosen Noah and Lily who adopted him while he was blind okayed the surgery and Reid had to perform it

Then the finale I would have shown Luke & Reid finally commit as a full fledged couple

• Members

Yes to everyone saying they wish that Kevin should've been bi! Van Hansis and Karl Girloamo (Kevin) had that heat IMO. I thought after the serial killer story line that they would've tossed Kevin into Luke's orbit. They at least seemed like they were hinting towards it. A Kevin/Noah/Luke triangle would've been hot if done properly. Then we wouldn't've needed the pointless Noah/Maddie pairing and Noah/Ameera marriage. :rolleyes:

• Members

Gosh, now I realized how much of the final years of the show I missed while in grad school. Who was Kevin?

Y&R made lots of errors with paternity storylines. That was one of them. I liked knowing that Jill was a Foster, it felt like she was the last remaining link to the show's origins.

I could deal with the WTD storyline with Neil Dru and Malcolm but ultimately, Neil should have been Lily's father. It just makes more sense with her personality and the aura she gives off. It just never came off that she was a child of Malcolm & Dru. Malcolm and Olivia made more sense than Malcolm & Dru being Lily's bio parents. Neil and Dru, would have been the most plausible. No matter what the writers try to do to Dru-ify Lily, she is most like Neil and always has been.

If only ATWT had not lost some of its more captivating actors during the 80s and early 90s.

I have no proof but I really think if Gregg Marx would've stayed HBS would've too. I'm looking at classic ATWT episodes from '88 and although I think HBS was very professional and did her bit with Scott Holmes, something about her body language tells me she may have felt the chemistry was lacking.

Speaking of Doug Marland and his coupling decisions--

Marland was a gifted writer and did a great many things (his umbrella storylines in the 80s were phenomenal) but in looking back at these classic episodes, it seems to me that he perhaps spent too much time separating his lovers/couple and keeping them apart. Tom & Margo, during the 80s spent a lot of time apart during his era, Craig & Sierra did as well (which was unfortunate since both actors seemed to be like two ships passing in the night by late '87). This only seemed to work with Lily & Holden because Martha Bryne and Jon Hensley stayed on so long (with the exception of the Heather Rattray era).

I know he kept them apart to add to the drama and longing but I think it was slightly too long in the case of 2 out of 3 of these couples.

I wonder if he would've wrote differently and made the most of these couplings had he known what lay ahead?

• Members

I loved Luke and Reid too and yes Noah should have been the one that died.

Luke and Reid would have gotten closer with Kevin coming into the picture. Luke knowing Kevin was his first crush and now in love with Reid he would reject him. Kevin would get so angry and would be an antagonist towards Luke and Reid's love.

• Members

Keith was best friends with Luke from school. They hung around together and Luke developed a crush on him. Luke finally had the courage to tell Kevin he was gay and had fallen for him. Kevin went ballistic and their friendship went downhill.

As for Margo and Tom...the best were HBS and GM.....they were hot together even though GM was gay. HBS and SH were great too..but didnt much care for ED and SH...tom and margo.

• Members

Kevin Davis was Luke's first crush on ATWT in 2005-06. Kevin freaked when Luke came out. Then Luke saved him from drowning. In 2008,they ran aganist each other for Student body president. Luke still pissed at how Kevin reacted when he came out rigged the election and came out the winner. Kevin realiized something was iffy and had the school look into the results. Then Luke's BF, Noah admitted the ballot box was stuffed and Luke got suspended.

Later that year, Some of Luke's friends were murdered. Kevin was horified to find out his pal Mark did it, but kept quiet, I believe he was arrested.

• Members

GH

When Jason was having his brain issues back around 2005, they should have used that as an opportunity to return his memories to him. He could still have retained his Stone Cold personality, but having him be more empathetic and understanding of the Qs bc he remembered his past with them would have been an interesting take on the character

Archived