General Hospital July 2014 Discussion

• Members

Twitter is blowing up!

Soaps In Depth ABC ‏@soapsindepthabc 7m
"Scott and I have been together for the past few weeks," says Bobbie. "Off-screen. Where that kinda stuff happens!" #GH

Ron Carlivati ‏@carlivatiron 5m
.@soapsindepthabc If it had been on-screen, then it wouldn't have been a surprise. Which was our intention. #GH

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 37m

@carlivatiron I know, I know. Just not sure I like sacrificing SEEING story for the sake of a surprise. But that's me. As you know.

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 32m

@carlivatiron Meaning we spend every day in PC. So to find out characters we love have been doing something for weeks, it comes off as...

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 31m

@carlivatiron ... a surprise, yes, but we also feel like vets had story take place OFF screen for pay-off, while every beat of...

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 31m

@carlivatiron ... other stories plays. I get what you're saying, but let's face it: We're getting a day of Lucy/Scott/Bobbie compared to...

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 30m

@carlivatiron ... those same weeks of much newer characters. Yes, it's a surprise... but it just feels (right or wrong) like a gyp to...

@carlivatiron ... folks looking for vet story.

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 30m

@soapsindepthabc These vets are recurring players, not contract. We can't afford to show u every minute of their lives. Would u rather...

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 30m

@soapsindepthabc ...we didn't show them at all, as was done in the past?

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 28m

@soapsindepthabc I'm not getting into a "vet" debate. There are plenty of "vets" who are on all the time.

@carlivatiron I get what you're saying, obviously. But the honest answer would regard folks I could do without. LOL

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 29m

@Shani0786 @soapsindepthabc We can't see every minute of 30+ people's lives.

Ron Carlivati @carlivatiron 6m

@RealOakdalian Mad Men doesn't have 30+ characters. Impossible to show all the events of everyone's lives.

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 6m

@carlivatiron @CAn8ive All viewers agree on only one thing: They're glad #GH is on the air. Otherwise, everything is individual/group taste

Soaps In Depth ABC @soapsindepthabc 5m

@carlivatiron Oh, of course. I meant this particular set of vets.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is he basically saying that he doesnt care about the vets but is showing them once every 6 weeks as some gracious peace offering? Rc should never be allowed to talk. Or write. I could throw breathing in here but that would be crual.

• Members

Richard(?) actually made a few very good points concisely there. How long til they take him out back and shoot him?

And as usual, Ron's answer is "you're lucky we show them at all". It's nice to hear it explicitly stated for once, as opposed to implicitly threatened as usual.

Richard is actually right. This is a daily soap opera. There's no excuse for constant in media res [!@#$%^&*].

• Members

That's the important thing--this is a DAILY soap. A few surprises are good--and needed of course, but not for characters who are an important part of the canvas, are in the town the show is set in at the time, etc. It's not like Bobbie being in PC was a surprised--in theory she's been there the whole time--seemingly not caring that her daughter is dating a mass murderer and her son is having his own issues.

And WTF with the Mad Men mention? He implies that Mad Men can show you every minute of a character's life because they don't have 30+ characters, but actually the style of Mad Men very much is that, with the exception of Don, they do only touch in on various parts of the other characters' lives (even major characters like Peggy.) It's a vastly different way of telling story and I don't see the comparison or what kinda weird point he was trying to make at all. (besides, for a primetime show they do have a ton of characters on MM.) Hell, if he's gonna use the comparison, Game of Thrones seems to do a better job of handling its unwieldy cast than he does.

• Members

Why is Britt in cahoots with Spencer? Does she not realize that Nikolas can just look at Spencer's texting history? Like seriously, does she think Spencer pays for his own private phone bill?

Mzf6N0J.jpg?1

Jordan and Julian have so much more chemistry than he and BoreLexis

The Bobbie and Lucy stuff was so stupid today. Once again Bobbie slaps her. Does anyone really want to see these old women fighting?

1Q7zw79.jpg?1

LOL at Sam nearly dropping in Wheels

• Members

I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE Lucy and Bobbie but the way they acted today made me cringe. It is insulting how the writers are portraying those two.

The Siam/Nina story is way too awful to take that much airtime. And MS is absolutly abject as an actress. I cant believe half the canvas is sidelined so that she can suck that much 5 days a week

• Members

This belief is part of the reason RC is such a piss poor writer. He believes that his audience should be grateful for scraps so he doesn't strive to give them quality.

Speaking as someone whose show died twice, if I had to choose between an AMC written by this man or no AMC at all, there would be no contest. I'd rather mourn my show for being well and truly gone than to deal with what GH fans have been handed: a half-assed, brittle, soulless, thrown-together, bootleg version of the show they've watched and loved for years. It's like The Walking Dead: better to shoot your loved one in the head and let them rest in peace than to let them become a zombie and watch them decompose in front of you.

• Members

Don't say that. I don't watch GH but I'd love for it to get a writer that is worthy of its place in the genre. There's only four shows left and even though I don't believe that any GH is better than no GH, I'd be thrilled if it became a quality, buzz worthy show that demonstrated that there is still real life left in soaps.

• Members

Honestly the arguments made about how it is better to see characters sometimes rather than not at all depends on the person. Some people would rather have closure than wait around to see their favorites at random times throughout the year if at all. By doing this some viewers will hang on just in case, which is what GH wants.

Considering Bobbie is with Scott, and Carly is with Franco...something should be done with that. As mother and daughter are dating father and son.

Archived